Go Back   IceInSpace > IceInSpace > Website Feedback and FAQ

Old 07-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

200kb image size restrictions

Hi Terry/Mike,

Just wondering if it might time to once again review the 200kb image size restriction? It was last increased to 200kb over 10 years ago now.

I'm guessing that storage capacities/costs have improved quite a bit over the period, along with processing and network. Average CCD/CMOS sensor sizes seem to be bigger now also.

I'm a big fan of AstroBin (and the like) for posting and sharing full res images, but it would be magnificent if we could somehow ease the size restriction for sharing and appreciating lower res images.

If cost is a constraint, I would be happy to make some sort of contribution towards a capacity upgrade. We get heaps from IIS for free.

This is just an idea.
IIS is such a terrific site, and I am extremely appreciative.
Relaxed restrictions for sharing low res images would make it even better.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 07-06-2018, 09:31 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Hi Terry/Mike,

Just wondering if it might time to once again review the 200kb image size restriction? It was last increased to 200kb over 10 years ago now...
...If cost is a constraint, I would be happy to make some sort of contribution towards a capacity upgrade. We get heaps from IIS for free...
Cheers,
Jeff

Beautifully written Jeff,
I was thinking just the same recently. As Astrocams, smartphones, DSLRs etc, get meaner in filesize, it makes for a greater task to actually reduce the files to a size ingestable by IIS. I have a graphic design degree, so it's trivial here. Others may not be so comfortable. It would be nice to have a service that could accept "contemporary" filesizes (or closer to such), making it easier on less computer savy folk. Improved quality images improve the "art", needless to say.

I haven't been here long, but I can't stress how much I enjoy, and have learned from, this site and it's inhabitants. I would be happy to make a small donation, and I suspect many others would, to meet the ends described above. Many hands (and wallets), make light work (or outlay).

Best regards,
Andy.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Astrobin, pbase, onedrive and numerous other service already provide this. You also can have your own web space with FTP like many already do for highres photos. IIS is a forum platform not a storage facility IMHO.