Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 25-06-2017, 09:34 AM
garymck (Gary)

Automating a roll off obs

Hi,
I've now got a premium mount (Mesu 200) as a retirement present to myself, and to justify the purchase (If one can ever justify astro stuff purchases) I would like to maximise its use by doing some automation so it can image whilst I sleep.The mount will need to park before the roof closes.

The obs is outside my back door so if there is an issue I can get straight to it.

First steps will be to convert it from a clamshell type to a roll off.

Then to motorise it and fit cloud and rain sensors.

I already use SGP to automate imaging.

Buying the mount has just about cleaned out my discretionary funds, so I'm looking for the cheapest workable solution to this. I can build stuff myself if that would help save $.

I would appreciate advice and pointer/links to anything that would assist in creating a low price solution - if that is possible.

cheers
Gary - now a pensioner :-)
Old 25-06-2017, 10:56 AM
glend (Glen)

I will be following this Gary, as i am in a similiar situation but already have the roof in place. Using Teamviewer back to the house i can remotely watch SGP and other systems and can control when necessary. My natural Park position does not clear the roof, so i have to manually swing the RA, open the roof, then return to near Park and start the mount (CGX) and home it. I suspect that integrating mount control via SGP is a given, but will watch and learn.
Old 25-06-2017, 12:15 PM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
wondering if I really need a rain sensor if I have a cloud sensor? After all, no clouds = no rain :-)

If that is the case what about this software at $30US that integrates with SGP?

http://www.mcdougalltech.com/page1/page1.html

Simply add an all sky cam, this software. Use it's trigger in SGP and then automate open and close the roof - parking to be worked out as well...

cheers
Gary