Old 07-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

Olympus E1...worth having?

Hi again all.
Just wanted to know if anyone has or had a E1 for use with a telescope and what they think of it. There is one local for $999 which seems to be a good price (I think). Also, do dslr's need exposure time as well the same as film?? if they do I might stick with my 35mm and go a good webcam thingy.
Thanks for any advise,
Cheers from Mick.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:21 PM
acropolite (Phil)

In a nutshell no, the Oympus DSLR's have a smaller sensor that the rest of the crop and have much higher noise, particularly at higher ISO's. Save your pennies and get a Canon 350D.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

Thanks Phil, I can't find much about Olympus camera's and scopes anywhere. They had a 350 D there but it was a little more than $1000 so I think it will wait...stick with plan A, webcam. Thanks again.
Mick.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Jonathan

For under $1000 your best bet would be a Pentax *ist with 18-50 lens for $899, or a Nikon D50 with 18-55 lens for $999. They would probably be cheaper without the lens if you don't need or want those ones. They were just some specials I saw in the paper the other day.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

Thanks Johnathan, the pentax was the first one i looked at and I do like them, have a z70 pentax now and love it but want to go dslr, astro was an after thought when I saw aprils as&t and the mikes pics with the same dob I own. Tracking then became a problem but its now not so back to the camera or webcam but with a dslr I can use it for general pics as well. I know little about dslr's and astro and nothing about cams so its just read and learn right now. Thankyou for the input Jonothan. cheers from Mick.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Pentax isn't all that good for astro work, ask h0ughy.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Jonathan

You're right Phil, their reputation for astrophotography is not the best. But for $900 (should be less without a lens) they aren't all that bad from what I've seen. For $999 with a 18-55 lens the Nikon is an absolute bargain, but if you have film gear you might as well have a go with some fast film and see what you can get.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

Thanks guys, I thought the Olympus was a good buy but canon seems to be the one's for astro so will wait for a 350D as suggested and try film first. What is the "noise", is it sound noise or electrical interference. Cheers and Thank you again.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:57 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Noise means electronic noise, generated within the sensor and associated electronics. Noise is usually greater at higher ambient temperatures and is more prevalent in smaller sensors, particularly the compact cameras, which even though some pack 7+ Mp have unnacceptably high noise at high ISO )(the equivalent of film ASA) e.g. 200 and above settings. Canon have managed to get their noise levels particularly low especially in the latest versions, that's the main reason for their popularity. The 350D and 20D/30D and upwards are all useable even at 1600 ISO. If you are wanting to compare cameras and look at some reviews and sample images try http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
Old 09-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Snibs
Mick at Coffs Harbour

Thank you again for more info.
found this link which may help a lot more than just me...would you guys in the know use 3200? looks noisy the way its displayed there.
The link makes the 30D look a lot more attractive (except for price) than a 350D or am I being fussy.
Thanks guys, I know I ask a lot but there is no substitute for experience.
Cheers from Mick.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...xt_review.html
Old 09-04-2006, 07:58 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I haven't used 3200. The 350D isn't that dar behind the 30D and the difference will buy a decent lens. Bob atkins site also has some good info on suitable lenses.