Old 30-08-2010, 11:02 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

NSN Astro Video Broadcast report 29-30 Aug

Now that I have got the hang of the basics, and borrowed a better camera (thanks Eric), last nights NightSkiesNetwork 'live' broadcast was a lot easier and successful than my previous attempts.

During a very frustrating night, commencing at 8:30pm the cloud came in the moment I finished doing my 3 star alignment.

Not to be put off, I waited for another 15-20 minutes until a sucker hole opened up and allowed me to spend a good bit of time getting sharp focus on some stars.
As soon as I was happy with focus, the clouds closed in again

It was another half hour before I was able to see sky again so I quickly went to Omega Centauri and put it up on the screen for all the world to see.
But it wasn't to last. I was getting 30 second spurts of clear between long minutes of cloud.
I moved to a few different objects chasing clear parts of the sky. I managed to briefly show 47Tuc Globular, Jewelbox Cluster, NGC 253 Silver Coin Galaxy, and Tarantula Nebula. This sucker hole chasing went on until about 1:00am. That's when the cloud came in thick and strong

I could see by the viewers list that I had quite a lot of people tuned in watching, so I did my best through cloud to give them something to look at.

This pattern went on for the next few hours until the sky started giving several longer periods of clear. The viewers list had grown even larger!

By this time other NSN broadcasters from around the world had all joined in and were helping me get my audio working so I could talk to everyone about what they were seeing.
When it was finally working Sergio in Florida laughed at my Aussie accent

At the views, the usual comments were made by people seeing southern sky objects for the first time: ooooooooo . . . aahhhhhhhh . . . wowwwwwww . . .

Fortunately, and with a lot of patience, especially by the viewers, we ended up getting some reasonable views of the Tarantula Nebula and other small nebulae and star clusters throughout the Large Magellanic Cloud Galaxy, and I forget what else because I was getting very tired.

Kevin, a U.S.A viewer, asked to see the Keyhole Nebula in Carina Nebula so I pointed the scope at it and left it there for quite a while as even more new viewers kept coming in. Brian (Scout) stuck a screen grab here: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...99#Post4013751

The rest of the morning is a blur from tiredness

At 5:30am heavy fog rolled in and my computer crashed. I think it was a sign to pack it in for the night

I'm glad I was able to show just a few of our Southern objects through cloudy conditions and in a brightly moonlit sky.

Once this lousy weather goes away I will broadcast a lot more objects. Next broadcast will be with a Focal Reducer at f2.5 (last night was at f5).

Thanks to all of you that were watching, and a big thanks to Jim Turner for providing a site for us to share our skies: http://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/
Old 31-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Bob

Ken you did a great job, I for one, really enjoyed it .
Bob
Old 31-08-2010, 12:26 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Ken you did a great job, I for one, really enjoyed it .
Bob
Hey thanks Bob.
Yeah, I remember having a chat to you in there

It got crowded later on after about 3am
Viewers from USA, UK, Spain, New Zealand, India, and all over Europe were watching and asking questions.

It has added a whole new perspective and excitement to Astronomy for me.
The ability to share our great Southern Skies with the rest of the world 'live', and interact with them
Old 31-08-2010, 10:43 PM
netwolf

Tried out the NSN today and it was a great show, even if it was not live. Nice to see what can be achived.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 AM
ScopesNC (Jim)

Saw the clouds and much more.

Ken

Thank you. It was a great show clouds and all.
I sat through almost every hour and it was great to watch. When the clouds moved out it was great to see southern objects. We just don't get to see them up here. You guys have so many wonderful objects to show us. Can't wait to see more.
Why someone would say it's not live I have no idea.
Just because the image builds does not mean it isn't live.
It is being feed live right from the computer and out to us all. We can watch as the scope moves and the best part is the chat going along with the broadcaster. The fun banter and and discussion are all live and instant. Watch as the camera settings are made also. So yes it is all live. It is not a You Tube recorded video that's for sure. You see the image come in live just as anyone would with a astro video camera. Add to that the web cams showing planets. You'll see as the atmosphere changes on planets and the moon also. So yes it is all live.

Thanks again Ken.

Jim
Old 01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Jim,

what Fahim (Netwolf) was referring to was that he tuned in during John's test broadcast last night. (John from New Zealand).

The 'not live' comment was referring to the fact that John was just showing still images so he could work out his microphone and broadcast settings.

And all the regulars where in there helping John
Jack, Greg, Clyde, etc

Once a name is lit up in red it's like a Magnet
Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
netwolf

I saw some great stuff today of Jupiter and Io by Rolo. It was great to see a live running image stream from his Toucam+C14 setup.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 PM
ScopesNC (Jim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Hi Jim,

what Fahim (Netwolf) was referring to was that he tuned in during John's test broadcast last night. (John from New Zealand).

The 'not live' comment was referring to the fact that John was just showing still images so he could work out his microphone and broadcast settings.

And all the regulars where in there helping John
Jack, Greg, Clyde, etc

Once a name is lit up in red it's like a Magnet
I understand, it kind of confused me a little. Not a hard thing to do in my case. LOL
Yes John was testing that night. It was his first time using his channel.I had him put up his camera color bars and test the channel. A recorded video does not test the connection like a live feed will. He still had no issues and was fine.I think he is going live this weekend from what he has said. Should be another great show to watch. Man you guys have such great objects to see. Sorry if we get carried away when we see them.
We can't help it.

Jim
ScopesNC
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Yes Jim, John did his 1st live broadcast from New Zealand tonight and it was excellent.
He did very well.

I can understand all you northerners getting very excited about our southern objects.
We still get excited ourselves
Old 02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yes great work by John for the three objects I could stay for.