Old 31-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Micro 4/3s suitability for AP & Tethering

Anyone using a Micro 4/3 (or similar) camera for AP?

I'm aware the sensor is somewhat smaller than my existing EOS1100d but, I am rapidly gathering a collection of camera's for a variety of uses & I'm just exploring options.

Tethering would be a must as I am suffering from disk/spinal issues in my neck that make bending myself into awkward positions to squint at tiny lcd screens pretty much impossible these days..

Thoughts & experiences please...

Cheers
Old 01-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nothing wrong with micro 4/3, probably the most revolutionary astro camera in recent years, the ASI1600, uses a micro 4/3 sensor from Panasonic. The mono variant is very capable in the right hands.

Can’t speak to the abilities of any of the interchangeable lens varieties though, but the APS-C sensors, like in the 1100D are only about 25% wider, and not a lot taller. You’d need to consult the vendor specs to check on tethering ability.

Don’t discount the 1100D if you’re most interested in OSC...it’s quite a capable camera in its own right (given cost, etc), even if it’s not the latest and greatest.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Thanks Dunk,

yeah, I'm just poking around at the moment...

Looking at the number of camera's I own in general...

I like the 1100d & thus far, have produced some reasonable beginner images. I have a Sony RX100 as well which I use for terrestrial photography & some wideview astro shots...

Mainly looking at the micro 4/3's to replace both & have one small, lightweight, flexible camera that can cover both duties...

I also have a ZWO ASI224mc & recently acquired an Orion SSAG (mono) as part of a bundle of gear that was quite cheap... Have managed to configure Sharpcap to run the Orion for imaging (yes I know it's a guide camera) but, haven't had an opportunity to see if it can do imaging

Will be looking secondhand... but, being able to shoot remote
& control the camera, along with live view off a laptop at least (& hopefully a tablet) is a must.. Can do this with the 1100d so, unless something cheap & useful pops up, it won't be going anywhere...

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Nothing wrong with micro 4/3, probably the most revolutionary astro camera in recent years, the ASI1600, uses a micro 4/3 sensor from Panasonic. The mono variant is very capable in the right hands.

Can’t speak to the abilities of any of the interchangeable lens varieties though, but the APS-C sensors, like in the 1100D are only about 25% wider, and not a lot taller. You’d need to consult the vendor specs to check on tethering ability.

Don’t discount the 1100D if you’re most interested in OSC...it’s quite a capable camera in its own right (given cost, etc), even if it’s not the latest and greatest.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Have a look at my AP's Ive posted here . I use what I have which is an EPM-2 Olympus 4/3. Its a smaller field , thats for sure however I have been able to capture some well known Obs with a different look to the wide fields typically with each sub between 2 and 5 seconds. Granted my primary is 20"
Give it a shot and see what comes. Cheers Zubenel.