Old 26-02-2018, 08:15 PM
CaroleH (Carole)

Turn Left at Orion?

I see so many people recommending Turn Left at Orion. Is it really useful for the Southern Hemisphere? It is quite expensive (to me) so I need to know that it's a worthwhile investment.
Old 27-02-2018, 12:37 AM
StuTodd

It's nice but far more rewarding to get a freebie no?

Have a look at printing your own at http://www.deepskywatch.com/deep-sky-hunter-atlas.html

Old 27-02-2018, 07:09 AM
rrussell1962

Turn Left at Orion is a book that I would like to have been available when I started out. Whether it is worth it to you is a question only you can answer though. If you do decide to get a copy I suggest the paper version, the ebook is not as user friendly, in particular many of the tables are hard to read. The newer editions have a section at the back which is devoted to Southern Skies.
Old 27-02-2018, 01:22 PM
CaroleH (Carole)

Thank you! : )
Old 27-02-2018, 01:23 PM
CaroleH (Carole)

Thanks - there is a newer spiral bound version that I am looking at.... : )
Old 27-02-2018, 02:36 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleH View Post
Thanks - there is a newer spiral bound version that I am looking at.... : )
This is a very good book if you know a little of the sky already Carol..
It is a real help in Starhopping to objects, when you dont have A GOTO MOUNT.

Small star charts with star hops included, along with finding directions via Star Hops...
Hence "TURN LEFT AT ORION " and so on to get to the superb triple Beta Monocerotis.

The eyepiece sketches depict what you will realistically see in a small say 4" scope...even mentions a lot of beautiful double stars...
That is what I remember from it ,so highly recommended for beginners with some knowledge of Constellations already.

PS: And take Stu's advice on charts.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 27-02-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Add
Old 27-02-2018, 03:32 PM
astro744

Spiral version at https://booko.com.au/9780521153973/Turn-Left-at-Orion and other versions at https://booko.com.au/works/705180

Book Depository has spiral version at https://www.bookdepository.com/searc...arch=Find+book includes free shipping to Aus. (and they are usually fast!).

See also http://www.cambridge.org/features/turnleft/default.htm for what looks to be an online version. Not sure if it is a sample or if all pages are included.

May I also recommend http://www.willbell.com/HANDBOOK/mess. This book is excellent for learning the key stars to assist in star hopping year round and of course finding the Messier objects. The marathon observing sequence is written for the northern hemisphere but if you're not doing the marathon it doesn't matter as the book is invaluable in learning how to hop from one object to another.

Enjoy!
Old 27-02-2018, 04:03 PM
rrussell1962

I had completely forgotten about the accompanying website that astro744 provided a link to. It has charts for most of the books objects, finder charts for a lot of the double stars seem to be missing though as does a lot of the actual text. An excellent resource though.
Old 14-03-2018, 07:15 AM
MichaelSW (Michael)

Carole,

G'day.

'Turn Left at Orion' didn't do it for me. See if your local library has a copy first.

If you want to purchase this book, then I recommend getting it from the Book Depository. It was relatively easy to Return for a refund.
Old 14-03-2018, 12:50 PM
CaroleH (Carole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
I had completely forgotten about the accompanying website that astro744 provided a link to. It has charts for most of the books objects, finder charts for a lot of the double stars seem to be missing though as does a lot of the actual text. An excellent resource though.
Thanks for this
Old 14-03-2018, 12:50 PM
CaroleH (Carole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSW View Post
Carole,

G'day.

'Turn Left at Orion' didn't do it for me. See if your local library has a copy first.

If you want to purchase this book, then I recommend getting it from the Book Depository. It was relatively easy to Return for a refund.
Thanks Michael - I have replied via pm.
Old 17-03-2018, 01:40 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

I quite like the book gave me an idea of what to expect from my scope but as mentioned on line has taken over , but its always nice for me to look at a hard copy than looking at my computer but we are all different
Old 25-03-2018, 09:35 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I have it, and I think it's an excellent book.

Might I suggest abebooks.com? Plenty of 2nd hand copies, and not too hard to get a copy in very good condition for a very reasonable price.