Old 20-03-2018, 01:32 PM
adi (Avi)

Cool Star-sense compatible setup

Hi Guys,
I am planning to buy new telescope and mostly looking at following products -
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ce...nced-vx-8-sct/
and this
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ce...n-8-telescope/

primary focus is observation but Astrophotography would be also nice to have.
I currently have 12" Dob and now want to move to something which can track stars. before getting this Dob i had HEQ6 but i could not get it aligned in couple of attempts so ended up selling it.

Now there is Star sense product which does scanning of sky for you so i am thinking to buy that and add with 8" SCT scope. I know advanced VX mount plus ED80 would be great for photography but my primary focus is observation and secondary photos. so can anyone tell me if there is any better cost effective alternative to this?

would there be any difference if i go for VX mount and 6" SCT scope? this one for example -
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ce...6se-telescope/

does spending almost grand more on 8" worth it?
Old 20-03-2018, 06:47 PM
casstony

If portability is a priority the Nexstar Evolution 8" is a good option. It's very easy to set up and use and very easy to travel with in the car.

The Advanced VX is also easy to use but not quite as portable and straight forward as the Evolution.

I have a Starsense which I use with my AVX when I'm setting up for imaging since it saves having to do 2 sets of alignments. I never bothered putting the Starsense on the Evolution since the Evo only needs a simple 2 star alignment anyway.
Old 20-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Visionary (David)

Avi,

Though not answering your question well, this is at least in part an answer. The combination of StarSense and CGEM DX (on special @ Andrews) provides an almost unbelievable combination.
Watching the CGEM DX slew about, under the guidance of StarSense soothes the "fevered brow", no more frustration, simply point South and the awesome combination of the StarSense & CGEM DX looks after the rest with quiet efficiency typical of the DX.
In terms of OTA, buy the best you can, if you have excellent sight purchase a reflector, if like many age or infirmity is taxing your visual acuity purchase a refactor, it's that simple.

David
Old 20-03-2018, 10:38 PM
chromus (Phil)

Check out the Polemaster, its the same idea with much better tech.
Old 21-03-2018, 10:03 AM
adi (Avi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Avi,

Though not answering your question well, this is at least in part an answer. The combination of StarSense and CGEM DX (on special @ Andrews) provides an almost unbelievable combination.
Watching the CGEM DX slew about, under the guidance of StarSense soothes the "fevered brow", no more frustration, simply point South and the awesome combination of the StarSense & CGEM DX looks after the rest with quiet efficiency typical of the DX.
In terms of OTA, buy the best you can, if you have excellent sight purchase a reflector, if like many age or infirmity is taxing your visual acuity purchase a refactor, it's that simple.

David
Thank you. i know i should be going for refractor but i am planning to use that scope for training to community members. so i thought going for SCT would be much better. any reason not to go with SCT?
Old 21-03-2018, 10:04 AM
adi (Avi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
If portability is a priority the Nexstar Evolution 8" is a good option. It's very easy to set up and use and very easy to travel with in the car.

The Advanced VX is also easy to use but not quite as portable and straight forward as the Evolution.

I have a Starsense which I use with my AVX when I'm setting up for imaging since it saves having to do 2 sets of alignments. I never bothered putting the Starsense on the Evolution since the Evo only needs a simple 2 star alignment anyway.
sorry to be noob but i could not even get 1 star alignment done on HEQ6.
Old 21-03-2018, 10:15 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi View Post
sorry to be noob but i could not even get 1 star alignment done on HEQ6.
If you have trouble getting an alignment done on your next mount ask for help from someone in Melbourne or go along to a public viewing night. After you've been shown once you should have no trouble.

Usually a failed alignment results from a simple mistake such as entering the wrong date or location in the hand control.