Old 15-02-2011, 08:36 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Using B&W mode in 20d for imaging LRGB

I have a Question?? If my DSLR Camera has a Black and White mode can I set it to this and then do LRGB filter photography? Or as it is really a Colour CMOS it won't really work... I have only been doing colour lights at this stage but love the results others get with filter shots and combining them..

Seeing Stars
Mardy
Old 15-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Mardy,

The black and white mode is simply a software filter overlaid on top of the image. It is not true monochrome, and, therefore won't work for LRGB imaging.

H
Old 16-02-2011, 07:50 AM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Thanks for that. I had an idea that somthing like this would be the case. I will stick with the colour imaging at this stage and get that up to speed. Then upgrade in the future to a cooled B&W Camera and learn the next level..

Thanks for your Help
Mardy
Old 16-02-2011, 11:00 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I had some success recently by placing RGB filter over the lens of my 450D. This allowed me only to achieve accurate focus for each colour, but is only useful for poor lenses. I would obtain the focus remove the lens and shoot a series of images, Do this for each colour. Each sequence during processing I would strip each colour then combine the in focused colours to get the final image.

I will not provide any better resolution quality but it allowed a much better focus for each colour.

This was an experiment with cheap filters, worked OK but a bit laborious. In the end I will end up getting a mono camera anyway.