Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2020, 04:47 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Telstra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Had enough. They still refuse to finalise NBN here (though the infrastructure is ready) claiming COVID limitations. Aussie BB said they can't do a thing until Telstra OK's it.

The ADSL 1 connection (yes, 1, not 2, not VDSL...ADLS 1) here is worse than ever, now dropping sub-4 Mbps down, and almost unregistrable up. Telstra says they can't do anything.

Well, we have one of those switching routers that reverts to 4G if the ADSL drops. Thing is, it will NOT switch if it sees ANY ADSL signal, no matter how minor, so today, after my wife cannot even work from home, I disconnected ADSL. It auto-switched to 4G.

We now get 24Mbps down. WTF Telstra! Paying $90 per month for unusable ADSL, and yet VERY decent 4G.

I did this once before and got a warning about 4G data use. IF I get that this time, I am kicking up a MEGA stink. I will be going to the ombudsman with this and see how they handle it. I am demanding Tesltra keeps us on unlimited 4G until such time they finalise NBN.

Amazing how many excuses are being made during COVID.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:33 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

It took me 6 months to get it sorted, and this was PRE covid 19.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:03 PM
spiezzy

I know what you mean about Slackstra they are as useless as tits on a bull and expensive I would give them a couple of years and they will be on the tip pile and will complain its due to the lack of business oh and covid19
but this is not the only Large company in Australia that is slacking off for one is Lowes ordered some cloths of them on line beginning of last month and still have not got them first email was blaming Covid second blaming waiting on stock third moving warehouse I just don't think these big companies are interested smaller business is coping quite well ordered the same /similar cloths from a smaller business and received in 2 days
anyway lewis good luck with Slackstra i think you will need it
cheers pete
Old 08-08-2020, 06:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I just tried chatting online with Telstra. Nope, AI only. Typed in "Can I talk to a human, PLEASE" and it spat back they have no one available. I give up. Oh, Mr. Ombudsman...
Old 08-08-2020, 06:27 PM
leon

They don't like Mr Ombudsman, he will fix it for you, I went down this track once, not the same issue you have but constant Telstra crap, until i suggested that Mr Ombudsman might be able to get it sorted for you guys, it was

Leon
Old 08-08-2020, 06:43 PM
glend (Glen)

Get them to give you 5G as an interim solution.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The thing is Lewis you need to follow up on your "threat" and go to the Ombudsmen.

It is a simple matter..they are there specifically to deal with telecommunication issues so that is where you go...it is just part of being a part of things but there is nothing to be gained by getting upset, just do what needs to be done and stay calm so you can set an example of good behaviour to people who look up to you and show them that there is no need to let simple concerns detract from ones happiness.

I am very disappointed with Telstra and somewhat upset with more than one interaction with them..I will sell my shares and find another provider but I will not let them ruin my day. Champions don't get mad but they do like to get even...in my case peacefully.
Alex
Old 08-08-2020, 07:36 PM
RB (Andrew)

Sorry Lewis, this would never have happened in the good old days of the PMG.
I could've built you a blue box and you could've spoken to the Pope himself.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:46 PM
Xeteth (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I will be going to the ombudsman with this and see how they handle it.
My suggestion is to tell Telstra this over the phone. Make sure when you call up you specifically ask to file a complaint. Get a case number etc, then when the complaints person calls you mention that you are going to involve the ombudsmen if they do not sort it out.

The ombudsman is enemy #1 for them, they'll usually go above and beyond to avoid you doing so.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:55 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Make an appointment with the big O and then call Telstra mentioning that you have an appointment will put you above those who just make a threat.

And be polite and calm so you don't have a personality thing at play...I don't think you get far with people if they sense you don't like them or respect them... also being calm and respectful makes you stand out because most are the opposite ..just imagine call after call often from very unhappy people..who do you think you may care to help?
The nice person I suggest.
Alex
Old 08-08-2020, 09:21 PM
glend (Glen)

You can always ring up "A Current Affair". Telstra hate negative publicity. The people that can solve your problem are buried well inside Telstra, and the call centre folks are trained to defuse you and just write down things.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:44 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

In my experiance telstra ignored the terms towards resolution from the ombudsmens office ..dont call me between 3 00 - 5.00 pm to talk.. thats the only time they would call and they'd never pick up when i dialed them back.. it did get sorted in time but they were difficult the whole way through.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:45 PM
JA

I have to say on the flip side that our experience with Telstra when we were NBN'd earlier this year was EXCELLENT. We went for Telstra as at the time they were the only supplier that offered 4G mobile backup in the event of any hardline network issues and had a good bundle with phone, etc.... Optus now has introduced 4G backup I believe.

For us, the Telstra SmartModem2 with 4G backup arrived within a few days of the order and I set it up that day, changing over from TPG. Then a couple of days later the Telstra Contractor came in and installed the hard line in to the house from the pit in the street in about 1hour and we went from 4G backup speeds of about 6Mbps to full speed for our plan some 51 Mbps.

They're OK in my book

I suspect the current difficulty lies with many people wanting faster NBN or just NBN with the soon to close other mediums/technologies. Couple that with everyone working form home and COVID, means a lot of new installs to do and the obvious OHS side of things and manpower issues hampering that. There are of course rural and remote areas with extra difficulties.

I hope all your issues get sorted guys.

Best
JA
Old 09-08-2020, 08:22 AM
h0ughy (David)

Not sure why you're bumping your gums about telstra, nbnco own the NBN.

Telstra are just a service provider. So if you choose to stay with telstra for your adsl horse and cart then you are your own enemy.
There are other services who offer the same cruddy conditions you are on. Choose one and churn.

You're never gonna win
Old 09-08-2020, 08:48 AM
Pepper (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Not sure why you're bumping your gums about telstra, nbnco own the NBN.

Telstra are just a service provider. So if you choose to stay with telstra for your adsl horse and cart then you are your own enemy.
There are other services who offer the same cruddy conditions you are on. Choose one and churn.

You're never gonna win
Exactly.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:56 AM
dikman (Richard)

Optus are no better to deal with. I spent three months arguing with them (and Telstra) because they couldn't transfer my landline number from Telstra. Or connect my NBN. I finally went to the Ombudsman, it took a while but in the end they "found" my phone line and I got $2000 compensation (unexpected) because they didn't connect things when they said they would. I dealt with Optus' (indian) helpdesk and their facebook "helpgroup", all to no avail.

Oh, and the problem with NBN is you, the customer, cannot deal with them direct, you have to go through your service provider.

At the very least do what Alex said, lodge a claim with the Ombudsman and then contact Telstra and let them know. The Ombudsman's office is pretty busy (!) so will take a while to do anything.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:58 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Telstra Call Center .... !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
19.2 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
17.4 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
34.8 KB20 views

Last edited by FlashDrive; 10-08-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:14 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I'm with Telstra as well and moving from ADSL to NBN was painfull. The procedure took about 6 months. It was a mess and ended up with TELSTRA legal dpt. In the end there were far too many people involved and communication gaps between NBNco an TELSTRA. It worked in the end. All you can do is document everything and be persistent.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:53 PM
drylander (Peter)

I gave Tel$tra away years ago and never looked back. My phone co. of choice was Virgin which then went to Optu$ which is bearable at best. With the NBN I was with Internode and when the switch was due I was contacted and a date to connect was set they were on time, polite and quick to sort it out with zero future problems. I went from ADSL2 to NBN silver and have enjoyed the 'net since. At $70/month with 500G or unlimited(can't recall as never run out) its a bargain I reckon and with an Adelaide help desk.
Pete
Old 09-08-2020, 05:57 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Wonders never cease. Just got an email.

NBN appointment date 1 September (birthday present? ), with expected completion date 10 September. I have clarified and demanded we are permitted UNLIMITED 4G until it is completed. We shall see.