Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 24-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Kunama

I know I said I wouldn't buy any more eyepieces but these are pretty good prices, so the XW3.5mm is on its way to me to bolster the lineup.

I'm still waiting for a finder for the TOA but did manage to locate Jupiter tonight, viewed it up to 200X and the XWs did not disappoint. Then did a comparison between the XW20 and the LVW22. The LVW has a nice flat field, the XW has some FC as often mentioned, but as far as the actual image the XW showed quite a bit more detail whether on the EOF or on axis even allowing for the 10% difference in magnification. I will have to keep both.

My lineup now comprises the XW3.5, 5, 7, 10 & 20 as well as the Delos14 and LVW22 before stepping up the N31T5. ( + some Tak LEs and Pentax XFs for the binoviewers)
Old 25-04-2016, 04:05 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
I had an XL 21mm that I bought used and the eyecup would spin freely. Not sure if that was a shortcoming of the XL line or just a sign that it had been used a lot.

The eyecup on the 10mm XW I had wouldn't move unless you wanted it to. Easier to adjust than the Delos when the need arises.
I just got the 21mm XL in the post two days ago. True about the eyecup moving a lot more freely than the XW, which takes more to move up or down. The comfort on the 21mm XL is so good that I just leave the eyecup in the down position. No blackouts, super easy eye placement. I leave all of the eyecups in my XW's in the down position as well as I find I don't need to adjust it and put it in any positions.

Cheers!
Old 25-04-2016, 04:08 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I know I said I wouldn't buy any more eyepieces but these are pretty good prices, so the XW3.5mm is on its way to me to bolster the lineup.

I'm still waiting for a finder for the TOA but did manage to locate Jupiter tonight, viewed it up to 200X and the XWs did not disappoint. Then did a comparison between the XW20 and the LVW22. The LVW has a nice flat field, the XW has some FC as often mentioned, but as far as the actual image the XW showed quite a bit more detail whether on the EOF or on axis even allowing for the 10% difference in magnification. I will have to keep both.

My lineup now comprises the XW3.5, 5, 7, 10 & 20 as well as the Delos14 and LVW22 before stepping up the N31T5. ( + some Tak LEs and Pentax XFs for the binoviewers)
I just did the same comparison! I fully agree with you!

While the 22mm LVW was sharper off axis, stars in the 20mm XW were a lot more vibrant and a lot more could be seen as compared to the 22mm LVW. I am going to get myself a 20mm XW to compliment the rest of my set which includes the 10mm 7mm and 5mm XW's.

Cracking eyepieces IMO!
Old 25-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor666 View Post
I just did the same comparison! I fully agree with you!

While the 22mm LVW was sharper off axis, stars in the 20mm XW were a lot more vibrant and a lot more could be seen as compared to the 22mm LVW. I am going to get myself a 20mm XW to compliment the rest of my set which includes the 10mm 7mm and 5mm XW's.

Cracking eyepieces IMO!
I viewed the Moon at 510X on Saturday night and Jupiter at 364X in the 18", just spectacular detail

The XW20 was very good when Jupiter was placed at the EOF and focus set for it. The difference between focus at edge and on axis was less than 1mm.

Last edited by Kunama; 25-04-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 25-04-2016, 09:11 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
I viewed the Moon at 510X on Saturday might and Jupiter at 364X in the 18", just spectacular detail

The XW20 was very good when Jupiter was placed at the EOF and focus set for it. The difference between focus at edge and on axis was less than 1mm.
Nice! 18" scope must be awesome for sure !!!!

Def a nice eyepiece even with the minor FC that comes with it. I used to own the 14mm XW as well and I remember using it and a barlow with a 12" reflector I had on Mars about 10 years or so ago.

The view of Mars was full of a lot of detail!

I'm going to get a 2" GSO coma corrector eventually as well which will help with the FC in the 20mm XW I will eventually be getting along with coma from the 34mm ES 68 I have too.
Old 25-04-2016, 10:30 AM
inertia8 (Australia)

You lot are a bad influence lol.

If I wasn't having to spend a fair bit to finish off a car project... I'd have a full set of available xw's because of this thread.

I will also admit to a bit of stupidity in that when I first got an xw and tried it in the field, I believed the small plastic piece covering the camera thread was the adjustable eyecup rather than turning the whole eyepiece by the rubber cup. Fool that I was lol
Old 27-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Kunama

My XW3.5 arrived at 8am today, was ordered on Saturday evening. 3 days 11 hours from Japan to Canberra...... Hope the XW14 I just ordered does the same ........ $621 for the pair including postage
Old 27-04-2016, 03:46 PM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia8 View Post
You lot are a bad influence lol.

If I wasn't having to spend a fair bit to finish off a car project... I'd have a full set of available xw's because of this thread.

I will also admit to a bit of stupidity in that when I first got an xw and tried it in the field, I believed the small plastic piece covering the camera thread was the adjustable eyecup rather than turning the whole eyepiece by the rubber cup. Fool that I was lol
Bad influence? OK...How's this for a bad influence?

That top piece you removed is something I take off sometimes when cleaning the top lens. Pretty neat feature with those camera threads!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EPs 2016.jpg)
64.5 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (P1440321.jpg)
198.8 KB46 views

Last edited by bytor666; 27-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 27-04-2016, 03:48 PM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
My XW3.5 arrived at 8am today, was ordered on Saturday evening. 3 days 11 hours from Japan to Canberra...... Hope the XW14 I just ordered does the same ........ $621 for the pair including postage
Congrats on the new glass mate! Post pics when you can for us ALL to see !!!

Cheers,
Old 27-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Congrats on the new glass mate! Post pics when you can for us ALL to see !!!
Cheers,
I think everyone has seen them a thousand times over the years
In the end the XWs won out because I could see faint stars in them that some other eyepieces did not show. The XW eyecup is the best I have seen (for me anyway!).

This mixed set now gives me a range of 82x to 729x in my big scope and 32x to 285 in the Tak. I think that covers all the seeing I am likely to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_3372.jpg)
188.2 KB83 views
Old 27-04-2016, 06:15 PM
dreamstation (James)

Quote:
Bad influence? OK...How's this for a bad influence?

Cheers!
Hey mate, what are those things you have on your 5, 7 and 10 XW in the pictures? Are they so you can use them in a 2" focuser? Where can I get me some of those? Would be really handy not having to fumble with a 1.25" adapter.
Old 28-04-2016, 01:32 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
I think everyone has seen them a thousand times over the years
In the end the XWs won out because I could see faint stars in them that some other eyepieces did not show. The XW eyecup is the best I have seen (for me anyway!).

This mixed set now gives me a range of 82x to 729x in my big scope and 32x to 285 in the Tak. I think that covers all the seeing I am likely to find.
Very nice eyepieces Matt !!! Lovely indeed !!!
Old 28-04-2016, 01:34 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
Hey mate, what are those things you have on your 5, 7 and 10 XW in the pictures? Are they so you can use them in a 2" focuser? Where can I get me some of those? Would be really handy not having to fumble with a 1.25" adapter.
Hey James!

Yes, those are adapters to use in my 2 inch focuser. They are Antares Twist Lock adapters. I just checked Bintel, but nothing came up....here they are in USA.

http://agenaastro.com/antares-2-to-1...e-adapter.html

Cheers back at ya!
Old 28-04-2016, 09:12 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Hey James!

Yes, those are adapters to use in my 2 inch focuser. They are Antares Twist Lock adapters. I just checked Bintel, but nothing came up....here they are in USA.

http://agenaastro.com/antares-2-to-1...e-adapter.html

Cheers back at ya!
Hi Markus/James

I am not sure that it's going to be that easy. I am pretty sure Glen Speers closed the Antares business down a little while back and these will no longer be manufactured. The Sky Instruments Website has been gone for a while. Agena Astro are showing just about all of the Antares Optical products they sold as being "out of stock", including this one.

I think you are going to have to hunt around for them and see who might have some old stock still on hand.

Maybe here http://www.ontariotelescope.com/Anta...ock_p_263.html

Maybe here http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_adp4.htm

Maybe here http://khanscope.com/products/2-to-1...ck-2-125tladpt

Maybe here http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/...-adaptor-.html

Good Luck !!!

Cheers,
John B
Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM
inertia8 (Australia)

Managed to get 3hrs in last night and spent a good deal of time using all 3 of my XW's. Kunama's comments on feint stars seemed very applicable when looking at some globulars, first time I've been able to use them on a new moon night in my 10in dob for these and I was very happy!
Old 07-05-2016, 04:31 PM
jeelan (Jeelan)

Having only recently started taking a serious interest in this hobby, I spent many a hours reviewing posts and debating on what eyepieces to get.

I prefer to buy a set (all same brand) and in one hit. I considered all options - TV, ES, Vixen, and Pentax.

The posts that influenced my decision the most were from Ausastronomer (John) and Wavytone.

Finally settled in the Vixen LVW due to price of the Pentax XW's in Australia, and picked up a set of these a couple of months ago from Steve at Astro Shop in QLD.

Then when I saw this thread about the Pentax XW's being on special on Amazon Japan, i couldn't resist and ended up ordering the entire line.

Pictured is the LVW set, and the Pentax XW set minus the 5mm. It shipped late so ETA is Tue 10th May!!

Figured one range can be my "travel" range for use with the 80mm and the other will be used with my SCT.

cheers
Jeelan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCN7340.jpg)
190.0 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (_DSC0062.jpg)
201.4 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (DSCN7339.jpg)
166.5 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (DSCN7329.jpg)
202.0 KB36 views

Last edited by jeelan; 07-05-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:46 PM
dreamstation (James)

Nice collection you have there mate. Would love to try out the LVW range myself at some stage. Have heard great things about them, in particular the 13 and 22.

My 5 XW arrived just over a week ago but I haven't had a chance to shine some light through it yet. If it's as good as the 7 and 10 then it will be a keeper.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Thanks, IIS and everybody involved for this thread. Given the favourable reviews and the low prices, I took a punt and decided to fill a gap in my collection with the 5mm. Was a bit scary ordering from Amazon Japan with everything in Japaneese (then I found the 'English' button which translated most important things). It arrived 2 days later (take that, Australia Post!). It arrived in probably the most robust case I've ever seen, like a huge plastic bolt that screws on with the eyepiece inside it. And wow! that's a hefty piece of glass! But when I put it in; wow! I got the best views I've ever had of Mars. Very flat, field edges very clear and wonderful detail in moments of good seeing. Thinking maybe I should stop being such a wuss and get one or two more!

Thanks for the smarts, IIS'ers :-)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:16 PM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

I just got my 20mm XW today. Added it to my collection of existing XW's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EPs May 7 2016.JPG)
89.8 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (20mm XW.JPG)
43.3 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (20mm XW pic 2.JPG)
54.6 KB13 views
Old 09-05-2016, 02:18 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss View Post
Have you much experience and please would you comment on the Nikon NAV-SW 10mm?
Hi Steve,

My apologies for the delay in replying. I saw you post, meant to reply when I had time and then forgot.

I haven't used any of the Nikon NAV SW's. I have used both of the Nikon NAV HW's the 17mm/14mm and the 12.5mm/10mm. They are both outstanding but very very expensive at about $1,300 each. I don't think you could draw any conclusions or comparisons from one line to the next as they have completely different design goals and parameters and a different price point.

Cheers,
John B