Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Poll: How do you typically plan your observing session?
Poll Options
How do you typically plan your observing session?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 21-04-2008, 11:01 AM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

No planning here just point and look.

Gazz
Old 21-04-2008, 11:50 AM
asterisk (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmer View Post
Thanks for the info. Size of file isn't really an issue these days with high speed broadband. How big is it anyway? I've downloaded game demo's of around 2Gb in about 1/2 an hour. Unless it's served from a slow server.
Greg has been having issues with his server lately and has changed recently - perhaps he may now be able to offer a trial - I don't know.

Cheers
Old 21-04-2008, 12:55 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Geoff,

I am currently alternating between Megastar 5 and an older version of Starry Night Pro.

I was about to order Sky Tools because of its inbuilt observing log capability, but don't want to buy a boat anchor, if it's about to be upgraded.

When is version 3 likely to be available. I know you get the 6 months cheap upgrade thingy, but I don't need to go there.

Cheers,
John B
Old 21-04-2008, 01:15 PM
asterisk (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Geoff,

When is version 3 likely to be available. I know you get the 6 months cheap upgrade thingy, but I don't need to go there.

Cheers,
John B
Good question John. A number of people are beta testing ST3 - it is currently up to "u" as testers find bugs and they are corrected. As well, Greg has been making a number of changes to accommodate argo navis users. The other thing slowing down finalisation was Windows releasing Vista in the middle - while Greg had already attempted to make ST3 backwards compatible from Vista, it was not until a number of testers installed under Vista that the final checks could be made and changes made to the program.

I have been one of the beta testers for the Real Time implementation. I must admit, I prefer ST3 to ST2 and can understand your reluctance to start with ST2 and then upgrade to ST3 later.

Once released though, I can recommend it for its ease of use, adaptability and accuracy. Greg is being very thorough to ensure that the demands of users are satisfied.

Cheers
Old 21-04-2008, 01:24 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterisk View Post
As well, Greg has been making a number of changes to accommodate argo navis users.
Now you've got my attention

About the v2/v3 thing, it's not uncommon to offer free upgrade if the new version's release is imminent, for those who buy the older version. That would be good if he offers it.

Other than that, there's normally a nominal upgrade fee for major release (i.e. 2.x to 3.x) versions as opposed to a point release. Not sure his policy on this either.
Old 23-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Sentinel

I am beta testing ST3 as well and can suggest that the Argo Navis functionality is worth waiting for.

However, I currently use Astroplanner for Argo Navis list uploading. It's pretty cost effective, and every Argo Navis owner should have a copy, just that it has much more functionality than the Argonaut program.

You cannot go wrong if you invest in Astroplanner, then when Skytools 3 comes out, get that then.

Then you will have two programs with full native Argo Navis support.

All the very best and feel free to email me off list.
Old 23-04-2008, 01:46 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I am beta testing ST3 as well and can suggest that the Argo Navis functionality is worth waiting for.

However, I currently use Astroplanner for Argo Navis list uploading. It's pretty cost effective, and every Argo Navis owner should have a copy, just that it has much more functionality than the Argonaut program.

You cannot go wrong if you invest in Astroplanner, then when Skytools 3 comes out, get that then.

Then you will have two programs with full native Argo Navis support.

All the very best and feel free to email me off list.
Thanks Paul. I have given AP (free version) a bit of a test run. I only realised last night that the Argo Navis support is native, which is great. I'm
going to start going through the manual and see if I can sort through what seems to be a ton of functionality. I will have a look in on ST when v3 comes out.
Old 23-04-2008, 09:37 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I'm another 'mixed bag' observer. Some favorites, some tour mode, too little planning, some pan around with the binos, some 'suit myself time', some 'entertain the newbies time'. So I voted random. I used to record obs but I'm not that good at it so I gave up. These days the better half keeps the records. "What was that we just looked at dear? What eyepiece were we using?" Shh. I didn't say that.
Old 25-04-2008, 03:37 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I voted other.

I have a big fat book of the universe, which has alot of fine images of over 1000 objects. Since buying my scope I've made a list of which ones should be visible from my location, and have started systematically checking them off as I find them....

Some nights however I go out with the intention of observing a few favorites and solar system objects.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

I voted other. I usually examine 1 or 2 constellations well above the horizon. I make a small list of objects, usually DSO's and have a chart of the constellation from CDC and much closer charts of specific objects. These are in plastic sleeves so dew won't wreck them. If I get frustrated I observe some old favourites and scan the milky way with the 32 TV rather than come inside cranky at not finding things.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool

G'day Y'all
I use http://tonightssky.com/MainPage.php
and print off the list details for the night by RA
Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Outbackmanyep

I observe comets and Variable stars....so if it's clear i'm out there making obs....
I also do Occultations and these take planning.....so it all depends on what Asteroid Occn's OccultWatcher is showing me and what Lunar Occn's Occult 4.0 is showing me.......

So basically....if it's clear then observe!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

I voted planning, but once I'm out there I like to visit other favourites as well. It does depend too on the condition of the sky. No point trying to see stars if there's a bank of cloud over the top. Many a good plan can go astray.
Old 16-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Darth Wader (Wade)
Chronic aperture fever

Grab scope, plonk it on the grass, turn out the porch light and enjoy. I enjoy spontaneity in my stargazing and don't plan anything so I can't be disappointed if I miss something. I must admit that when I do find an object I make a mental note of its position and then check it out on stellarium when I go back in the house.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:33 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

I voted tour mode as that's what I have mostly done for the last year. I have good intentions of being more methodical. Ask again next year.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:16 PM
pgc hunter

My sessions are planned. I pick out some DSOs from Cartes De Ciel / MSA, if Im viewing galaxy clusters i'll print off DSS images to get my bearings at the eyepeice.
Old 14-12-2009, 08:13 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

If its just me and the weather looks good, then I use Astroplanner + Notepad to write up a planned list of Messier (or Glen C Messier-like) objects to image or view that will be visible, starting with most northerly and then westerly visible objects for time of year (then moving back through RA to the E as objects rise during the night).

Notepad is great for jotting down a roughly planned list for different times which you can tweak or put down detailed notes as you go if need be. I usually take at least some images, so the notepad file gets thrown in that directory as a diary record. I also try and put some detail into Astroplanner if time allows, but at the very least make note of having seen something so I don't keep revisiting the same objects. Use defined columns in Astroplanner are a big help in noting which objects I've decided to have a go at and at what time for a particular planned session (or just for noting something I'd like to try for at the next dark sky site).

Once I've "done" Glen Couzen's All Sky Messier catalogue, I think I'll move on to a list of the brighter NGC objects. Mind you the more you learn about imaging, the longer you want to spend on each decent object, slowing the rate you "discover" new things.
I suspect lots of people will have changed how they explore and plan over the long period this thread has been running!

p.s. If friends or family with me, I'll often fire up EQTour part of EQMOD and use that to find objects once I've exhausted those I know myself.
Old 14-12-2009, 05:36 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hi there

I am currently working on a Globular Cluster list and look forward to one day exploring the Northern Hemisphere GC's

Cheers Petra d.
Old 19-12-2009, 12:34 PM
DiamondDust (Ingrid)
One day.......

Plan?

As a newbie I'm still amazed by everything I point my scope at, especially globular clusters. So I guess when there's a cloudless, windfree night I immediately plan to get the scope outside!
Old 23-12-2009, 09:45 AM
cherie

I love going back to the favourites since I'm not out there regularly observing. Also the light pollution is bad in my area so not much can be seen.

Once I finally get my telescope I suspect I might plan more and try for some more difficult objects.