Old 17-08-2019, 09:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Reprocess of Orion

I have been trying out drizzle on old stuff...I don't know if it really works but I am having fun.
Data for this came from the eight inch and ZWO. Posting so I can let it go and do something else. I have no idea about the colour but it came about by itself so if its wrong it is its own fault.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (final.jpg)
183.3 KB87 views
Old 17-08-2019, 10:55 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

I've been mucking around with the drizzle thing too Alex, one thing I've discovered is that you end up with a much larger image which can be cropped & binned & still leave you with a decent sized image with improved resolution.
There's quite a bit of detail in your shot of M42 by the way.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 18-08-2019, 07:44 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Tony.
I tried a 3x drizzle and ended up with one and a half gig final stacks for each channel.
I had a lot of crashes and two computers going so I can't recall the details of the image posted but I am pretty sure it started with over a gig files.
My phone is playing up so I take this opportunity to say you have done well with your M17 image but may I suggest you get hold of Startools.
I run my stuff through star tools and then photoshop and when you get used to startools you appreciate that it does make your images better. I do find Photoshop helps with doing colour touch ups brightness and contrast and I particularly like the rubber dodge and burn tools and being able to layer different versions...I sometimes end up with two that I like but with the layer thing can have that magic in between.
Anyways well done on your M17.
Alex
Old 18-08-2019, 11:00 AM
casstony

Nice wispy detail and I don't mind the colour either Alex.
Old 18-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Decimus (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have been trying out drizzle on old stuff...I don't know if it really works but I am having fun.
Data for this came from the eight inch and ZWO. Posting so I can let it go and do something else. I have no idea about the colour but it came about by itself so if its wrong it is its own fault.

alex
A very appealing and different view of M42, Alex. Well done.

Which ZWO camera did you use?

Cheers,
Richard
Old 18-08-2019, 03:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Tony particularly your reassuring comment re the colour.
Thank you Richard.
The camera is the zwo 1600 cooled mono with 8 hole filter wheel with 7 filters.
Alex
Old 20-08-2019, 09:03 AM
casstony

Ultimately the colour doesn't matter much so long as it's aesthetically pleasing, unless you're after the most accurate representation of the object. I took another look at your M42 and reduced it to fit the screen - it's a beautiful image when viewed in it's entirety Alex.
Old 20-08-2019, 10:47 AM
JA

Well done Alex

Best
JA
Old 20-08-2019, 11:16 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you gentlemen.
What I was happy about was the trap stars are almost there whereas in the previous process of this data set some months ago they were gone..I had to darken the area and Photoshop them in..and on reflection I forgot to hit them this time with the burn tool which no doubt would have brought them out.
I am not going to worry too much about colour and let the merging of the various channels dictate the colour which so far I am happy with...being colour blind leaves me somewhat casual about getting the exact correct colour and as I will never enter the David Marlin Awards I don't see that approach as a problem.
Thanks again.
Alex
Old 21-08-2019, 11:59 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Alex I don't think I've seen M42 like this sometimes it's fun to break the rules. Go with the flow and see what happens. Maybe do a starless version just for kicks. Have you settled on a preferred drizzle setting yet or are you still experimenting? Personally I find 2x to be the magic number.
Old 22-08-2019, 01:06 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post

alex

Old 22-08-2019, 04:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Alex I don't think I've seen M42 like this sometimes it's fun to break the rules. Go with the flow and see what happens. Maybe do a starless version just for kicks. Have you settled on a preferred drizzle setting yet or are you still experimenting? Personally I find 2x to be the magic number.
It's the others who break the rules I have merely tried to wring the most out of the small part of the EMS (Electro Magnetic Spectrum) we are privileged to observe with perhaps additional colour that would be apparent to a mantis shrimp a creature who sees so much more colour than we humans can imagine. I expect that a mantis shrimp would consider my image as perhaps under saturated.
I can't get my head around the concept of capturing an astronomy image and then removing "the stars" ...who knows how many solar systems are placed in a box of non recognition...I would certainly not be happy if some distant astrophotographer when shooting subs in the region of our Sun at the point of processing casually wiped out Sun and therefore us out of the picture....I would not take it personally but certainly would not be impressed.
Excessive colour is not beyond what the EMS will deliver but to anialate Suns and world's smacks of a preoccupation on altering an image to reflect only that which the capturer deems important to his narrow focus of what is important and although dust clouds are perhaps important to provide material for a solar system to form I feel, somewhat passionately, that it is what those dust clouds finally become..stars..that are important... I sometimes worry my stars are too big but if you could see them as I see them ..bubbles at any distance you can observe them...imagine you orbited a star at many light years..it scribes out a bubble..I hope you can see what I see here..we see a pin point of light but that pin point appears at many points at various radius such you can scribe spheres all over...try to think what is there not just and only what you see..our perception is so limited and worse still is that we have not idea just how limited...

My preferred drizzle is 3x it is just so much better that 2x because 3 is greater than 2.

I think there is an advantage that others do not see.
I feel that drizzle perhaps can be seen as an averaging event...and one would hope the more stuff and the more averaging the greater opportunity to find a detail that can only be found by essentially a piece of equipment that just can't produce the resolution the averaging may deliver.
Averaging in any situation seems distasteful but usually the more you average things the closer you get to the core that comprises that particular reality.

I feel that with lots of data and a 10 "X drizzle one could produce a resolution way past the theoretical limits of a particular scope...or maybe not.

Alex