Old 22-04-2012, 12:50 PM
kev (Kev)

GoTo kit for dobsonians

Greetings.

Can anyone suggest a good GoTo kit for my 8in Dob? I've seen a couple on other forums, but they've been all home made jobs, which cost double what I originally paid for my scope.

The only other option I have if I can't get a good GoTo kit is to sell the dobsonian and get something already setup with a GoTo (and possibly a bit more portable).

Cheers.
Old 22-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

If you have a Skywatcher, I know they sell GoTo upgrade kits for the dobs:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm (Look at the dob section). No idea but it could also work on other brands?
Old 23-04-2012, 08:36 PM
k16charger

http://btow.com.au/telescopes/t_scop..._goto_tracking

$795 not cheap.. altho I am thinking of buying the 10" upgrade for mine.
Old 27-04-2012, 11:15 PM
kev (Kev)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meru View Post
If you have a Skywatcher, I know they sell GoTo upgrade kits for the dobs:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm (Look at the dob section). No idea but it could also work on other brands?
I've got a BinTel dob.

Might give Andrews a call on Monday morning when I'm at work to see what they have to say about it.

Thanks!
Old 28-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Forgey (Paula)

On the skywatcher site:
DOB SYNSCAN (GOTO) UPGRADE KIT (263) [ DOWNLOAD ]
Notes: For mounting a DOB Traditional, DOB Collapsible, or Newtonian Reflector telescope tube OTA on a SynScan DOB GoTo Upgrade Kit.

By the looks of it you can.
Old 28-04-2012, 11:10 AM
cjamo9 (Clinton)

please let us know how you get on, i would think that as long as the original tube bearing(the one that has to stay there) on the tube is the same size as the new mount no probs. please let me know cause i have a 12 inch bintel id love to put on a goto mount. great price at the andrews site compared to others
Old 28-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Satchmo

Reading the manual the upgrade kit seems to be a complete Skywatcher GOTO mount and new side bearing to mount an existing tube from non GOTO skywatcher telescope. So basically its not a pile of parts you can bolt onto your dob mount but a comnplete Skywatcher GOTO dob mount without the tube assembly...
Old 28-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Hey Kev,

So whats the word from Andrews? I'm about to get a manual 10" Bintel dob and wanna know if I can use skywatcher's upgrade kit. From what marks says and in the manual, looks like the only thing required is to screw the mount bracket into your dob and you're set!
Old 29-06-2012, 10:53 PM
ColHut (Colin)

Why not just add some analogue setting circles and buy a digital level? Or is the ability to to get the computer to point at the target the main thing you are after?

regards
Old 30-06-2012, 09:08 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColHut View Post
Why not just add some analogue setting circles and buy a digital level? Or is the ability to to get the computer to point at the target the main thing you are after?

regards
Or consider going bartel's way.. http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/StepperSystem.html. Not officially supported any more by Mel, but there are plenty of users out there, and he is still answering questions on scope yahoo group.

It will work with encoders only (they could be from old, opto-mechanical mice) without steppers.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 AM
cjamo9 (Clinton)

last time i was talking to luke at andrews he told me the goto dob upgrade they list for 699 is a software upgrade for pre motorized units?
this is what i thought they were selling http://www.australiatelescopes.com.a...h-to-dobs.html
I asked andrews if they could source this about 3 weeks ago and havent been be contacted yet
Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Kev, do you specifically want the GOTO for locating objects as well as maintaining tracking or will a 'Push To' device suffice? If the latter an Argo Navis would suit.

Stephen
Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

I suppose the whole point would be having the ability to get the computer to point at the target without having to star hop. Going from push-to to my NEQ6, the amount of time I saved finding the target that i could use to view either multiple objects on one night or increase the amount of viewing time is enormous.

Especially with weather in Melbourne and clear nights very far and wide, it would just be nice (If money was no problem). And no from what I read the upgrade isnt a software upgrade, but the whole damn base gets changed! Its also seems to be point as per skywatcher's manual. I checked out the Goto base at Bintel, not quite as simple as drilling a few holes to mount your Bintel OTA onto the base, but it'd be better than a argo navis. They're very expensive especially considering its still push to
Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 AM
cjamo9 (Clinton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meru View Post
I suppose the whole point would be having the ability to get the computer to point at the target without having to star hop. Going from push-to to my NEQ6, the amount of time I saved finding the target that i could use to view either multiple objects on one night or increase the amount of viewing time is enormous.

Especially with weather in Melbourne and clear nights very far and wide, it would just be nice (If money was no problem). And no from what I read the upgrade isnt a software upgrade, but the whole damn base gets changed! Its also seems to be point as per skywatcher's manual. I checked out the Goto base at Bintel, not quite as simple as drilling a few holes to mount your Bintel OTA onto the base, but it'd be better than a argo navis. They're very expensive especially considering its still push to
i didnt read that the goto upgrade at andrews is just a software update, i was told it during a phone conversation with their telescope salesman ,Luke. hope hes wrong because id rather pay 699 at andrews for the whole mount than 1250 or whateva australian telescopes is charging for it.
is there anyone out there who has bought one of these upgrades would love to know the ins and outs of them
Old 16-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Clinton,
Yea from what I heard its just the whole mount. It cant be just a 'software update' because the original dob has no electronics to begin with!

Bump, anyone used these upgrades before?
Old 13-08-2012, 09:49 PM
kev (Kev)

Sorry I haven't replied. Been a bit busy with a new job.

I pretty much wanted the GoTo system to take photos of different things like planets, DSO etc. I've taken a few different photos quite poorly with my current setup and would like to take my interest in photo taking further.

I haven't had the chance to call Andrews just yet but I have some time off in a couple of weeks, so it might give me a chance to do some more investigation.
Old 14-08-2012, 09:59 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

If you want to get serious with photos a GoTo Dob is not the answer unfortunately. The moon or maybe planetary with WebCam and avi stacking. Anything requiring longer exposures for DSO objects requires an GEM mount.