Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

QHY9 vs SBIG ST-8300

Can anyone tell me whether there are any practical difference between the QHY9 colour and the SBIG ST-8300C?

They both use the same chip, have built in shutters, and decent set-point cooling.

QHY9 = $1800 from Gama
SBIG = $2000-$2500 from ATS / OPTCORP

Also, what would these cameras be like for imaging either through my f5 newt, or my Takahashi FS-60?

Any help appreciated

Adam

Last edited by adman; 11-03-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

The QHY9 comes with filter wheel and LRGB filters.
Enough said

The camera's will perform very well with both scopes Adam.

Oh did i mention that the QHY9 is a lot cheaper???
Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I've owned both of the mono cameras and neither of the osc's but the superior build quality of the sbig camera is obvious plus the driver solution for the sbig is miles ahead as well. However the sbig only has single stage cooling and you won't get better than -10C here in summer where as the qhy will get to -25C with ease. The sbig also suffered from frosting/fogging problems but after giving them feedback on the problem they appear to have resolved the issue quite quickly. I'm not sure if I agree that heating the heatsink is a good solution but it fixed it.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:16 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
The QHY9 comes with filter wheel and LRGB filters.
Enough said
He is actually asking about One Shot Colour versions
Old 11-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Yes he did, but even though Im a stuck on SBIG fanboy,for $2800 I suspect youd be better off with the mono QHY9/filterwheel/LRGB filters than the colour SBIG for $2500. Assuming flatout built quality is not a major issue.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Yes he did, but even though Im a stuck on SBIG fanboy,for $2800 I suspect youd be better off with the mono QHY9/filterwheel/LRGB filters than the colour SBIG for $2500. Assuming flatout built quality is not a major issue.
Unless you didn't want to bother with all the added nonsense of a filterwheel/filters etc etc. Plus all the added headache of the extra image processing. $300 saved could go to something else
Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Yep I was asking about the osc - but only because I know next to nothing about monochrome + filters from data acquisition through to processing. I must admit that it does seem like it offers some advantages, but I am not sure whether the extra layer/s of complexity appeal to me.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Adam,

I would say that if you're not ready for monochrome imaging, I would stick with the DSLR.

H
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Hagar (Doug)

I really can't comment on the OSC in both these make and model of cameras but what I can say is if dealer support is of importance to you, I would look at the QHY Range. Theo literally goes out of his way to keep you imaging. I can vouch for this.
As for build quality I don't think there will be anything in the two. Qhy are now made by a professional electronics company in China just as the SBIG are.
Software is supplied with both and drivers are also kept up to date for both.
My choice would be the QHY on price if for no other reason and then the follow up assistance and support given by Theo seals the deal for me.
Cooling with a 2 stage peltier capable of 50 degrees below ambient is also a very handy extra for this particular CCD. Noise free at -20 not so at -10.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Hmm why bother with a color ccd if you can get the mono for $2800
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
Hmm why bother with a color ccd if you can get the mono for $2800
I'm thinking about one of each.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Adam,

I would say that if you're not ready for monochrome imaging, I would stick with the DSLR.

H
Do you mean that I shouldn't even bother with a one shot colour either? I am finding my 550D is not worth bothering with during the summer with sensor temps up in the mid-high 30's it's more noise than signal
Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hi Adam

Its certainly nice with Brissy ambient temps to be able to comfortably pick your set point and manage to get there all year round (I run at -25 for the QHY9M, but could probably do -30 if I I really wanted to).

There is a lot of extra mucking around with LRGB before you get to see anything much, but you get better resolution not shooting through a bayer mask.

At the end of the day, I don't have any direct experience with the cam's you've listed though, so I'll shut up now, listen and learn.......
Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM
TrevorW

If you are pressed for time and can't spend all night imaging and want to enjoy the hobby during a work week then I'd go for the OSC camera just for swimplicity as well as the level of noise reduction acheived during warmer weather although great images can be obtained using a modified DSLR (a modification which adds extra cost and requires extrra filters if you want to continue to use it for normal daylight imaging)

Last edited by TrevorW; 11-03-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I really can't comment on the OSC in both these make and model of cameras but what I can say is if dealer support is of importance to you, I would look at the QHY Range. Theo literally goes out of his way to keep you imaging. I can vouch for this.
As for build quality I don't think there will be anything in the two. Qhy are now made by a professional electronics company in China just as the SBIG are.
Software is supplied with both and drivers are also kept up to date for both.
My choice would be the QHY on price if for no other reason and then the follow up assistance and support given by Theo seals the deal for me.
Cooling with a 2 stage peltier capable of 50 degrees below ambient is also a very handy extra for this particular CCD. Noise free at -20 not so at -10.
I'll agree to disagree here doug. I bought the sbig cos QHY could not fix my QHY9. It was unusable for 4 months from when I bought it. I was told it just needed new drivers with better clamping, which where not available. The camera was finally swapped 4 months later after a lot of screaming by me. The new drivers where still not available then, but the camera swap fixed my problem. This indicates a quality control problem to me and I also wonder who got my old camera?

The sbig drivers update over the Internet automagically.

There is no comparison in build quality, the sbig is far superior, have you seen inside one? Design is also part of build quality.

As for backup service, theo really does go out of his way, but when I had fogging problems with the sbig, matt from sbig was on the email to me within 24hours and we sorted it out in a few nights, not 4 months. I know theo's hands were tied at the time as the cameras where in short supply.

Coolling is the big one, qhy wins hands down.

I wouldn't mind another cooled OSC, there's always a place for one here.

Last edited by Tandum; 11-03-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Adam,

H
can you please elaborate on this for me H.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
I'll agree to disagree here doug. I bought the sbig cos QHY could not fix my QHY9. It was unusable for 4 months from when I bought it. I was told it just needed new drivers with better clamping, which where not available. The camera was finally swapped 4 months later after a lot of screaming by me. The new drivers where still not available then, but the camera swap fixed my problem. This indicates a quality control problem to me and I also wonder who got my old camera?

The sbig drivers update over the Internet automagically.

There is no comparison in build quality, the sbig is far superior, have you seen inside one? Design is also part of build quality.

As for backup service, theo really does go out of his way, but when I had fogging problems with the sbig, matt from sbig was on the email to me within 24hours and we sorted it out in a few nights, not 4 months. I know theo's hands were tied at the time as the cameras where in short supply.

Coolling is the big one, qhy wins hands down.

I wouldn't mind another cooled OSC, there's always a place for one here.
As I said in an earlier post Robin the QHY range is now being made by a large electronics company in China just as the SBIG camera. I doubt there is much if anything in build quality these days.
Problems will and do happen and from where I sit QHY have been prepared to work through problems, allow them to be advertised on their forum and make everyone aware of them. SBIG forum doesn't have any problems listed, perfect I doubt, secretive maybe.

Your particular problem was a rather strange problem which was resolved and I believe a loan camera was supplied. I may be wrong but thought that was the case.

It is hard to compare a one man company with an American Astronomy Icon but in $ terms I know which way I will lean.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I didn't even have to go looking for the sbig forum, they contacted me after a CN post. I got no loan camera, I bought the sbig to take pics, this was ages ago and the qhy cameras where is short supply. You should go buy an sbig doug and check em out. Flawless workmanship and near perfection in engineering ...

I'll add that I'm not a fan boy of either company, just user observations.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
I didn't even have to go looking for the sbig forum, they contacted me after a CN post. I got no loan camera, I bought the sbig to take pics, this was ages ago and the qhy cameras where is short supply. You should go buy an sbig doug and check em out. Flawless workmanship and near perfection in engineering ...

I'll add that I'm not a fan boy of either company, just user observations.
Have had two actually Robin and didn't think very much of them but that was a few years back now.
Flawless engineering. Maybe we look at things differently. H has had to have his repaired twice just changing the filters. If that is engineering excelence I'm glad my engineering staff went to Uni in Vic.

How come you sold the SBIG and kept the QHY??
Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Tandum (Robin)

cooling. and my qhy has been back 4 times. I'm talking st-8300 not whatever H has.
Theo even sent his spare as a replacement last time as we all went under water up here

RickS has the starlight varient. If it ever stops raining we'll get to see it ...