Old 13-08-2008, 04:01 PM
vash (Ashley)

450D vs 40D

Ok, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a new camera, I'll be getting a camera for astro use mainly, I'll stick with cannon and will be modded most likely hutech. As it will be paid for by the tax man I'm not too worried about any excess costs of importing one.
I was looking through the Hutech web site and have noticed that the price on all the camera's have come down which will cover for our weaker dollar at the moment.

I've narrowed it down to either one of these camera's 450D or 40D.
Both have what I want, 14bit, live view etc. But is the 40D $500 better than the 450D.

I know that the 40D has a higher shutter speed, Iso speed (through custom functions), higher burst rate, more metering points, better battery life etc. Most of that has no effect of astro use except battery life, but 2 batteries will cover that.
The 450D is cheaper, lighter more pixels.

I'm leaning toward the 450D more but has anyone got any advice on which is the better camera or anything I might have overlooked?
Old 13-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Not much in it Ashley, the 450D is slightly higher res, but the 40D has a much better built quality (more solid). Maybe that doesnt matter if its only for astro.
Old 13-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Ian Robinson

More pixcels is not the be=all-end-all. If the pixcels are not as good at capturing photons or turn out being more noisy.

See discussions earlier here that I participated in before I bit the bullet and bought a 40D rather than a 450D.
Old 13-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Not much in it Ashley, the 450D is slightly higher res, but the 40D has a much better built quality (more solid). Maybe that doesnt matter if its only for astro.

The better build quality also means more resistance to moisture.

You can also install different focusing screens and use professional accessories on the 40D , but not the 450D.
Old 13-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

I agree Ian, I dont think the price diff is worth it, and the res diff is mute for Astro, I got the 40D ;-).
Old 13-08-2008, 06:16 PM
thestarman

Price for 40D

I am contemplating the same decision.

Just curious. What is the best price you have found the 40D for?

Regards,

Paul Floyd.
Old 13-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I had a 450D and now have a 40D. The 450D wouldn't work with maxim.

I bought both from here without a problem : http://www.einfotech.com.au/shop/adv...727c&x=20&y=12

40D is under $1K for the body only.
Old 13-08-2008, 07:40 PM
RB (Andrew)

There's probably not much in it but I prefer the 40D.
Better build over the 450D and the lower pixel count should mean better noise performance.

I prefer the better build as it helps dampen shutter vibration, as long as you have a sturdy mount for it.
The better build protects the camera from the elements a little better too.

Also the price difference is more like around $250, body only.
Old 13-08-2008, 11:11 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

40D all the way. S/N Ratio will be better, the body is a lot sturdier, more custom adjustment options which can all be useful... and for the meager price difference, you may as well...

When you say "astro use mainly"... Do you mean, it may on extremely rare occasions be removed from the scope. If so, buy a cheap point and shoot for happy snaps and save more pennies towards a dedicated astrophotography CCD imager.

My 2c.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:11 AM
vash (Ashley)

By astro use only I mean modified and will mainly be used on the scope, I'll still have the 350D for daytime use.

I can't find any good comparisons between the 350D and 450D in regards with noise, is the 450D comparable with 350D, then I'd be happy enough.

The extra pixels don't really mean much, I know this, but normally I end up resizing my images for posting here.
I should really have been a little clearer, the 40D is a better camera and is a solider unit, but I'm already pushing what my equipment can hold, I'd prefer a lighter camera hanging of my scope to keep weight down.

So how would each compare as an upgrade from the 350D (as in dedicated astro use)?
Old 14-08-2008, 10:24 AM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

improved S/N at higher iso's for both, more so in the 40D. user customizable options... I would have typed that 3 times buy im lazy. thats the main difference between a 40D and either a 450D or a 350D (megapixels aside)
Old 14-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Ashley,

I was in the same position as you a couple of months ago and I couldn't decide between the Canon 40D and 450D. Long story short, I finally decided to get the 450D mainly because the 40D was too bulky and heavy for my liking.

As said above the 40D is a better camera overall but the 450D is a great performer. I have been using mine for astrophotography and I have had absolutely no problems with it. From my experience with it, even at a higher ISO setting it doesn't produce much noise. I am planning to get it modded soon and use it souly just for astrophotography.

No matter which camera you decide to get, you wont be disappointed. Hope this will help.

Old 14-08-2008, 12:19 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

in your situation, with the weight ur hanging off your mount (im assuming the 10" + ED80 for guiding, guide cam, finder etc etc.. I'd probably go with the 450D just on the fact that its a few hundred grams lighter.
Old 15-08-2008, 10:18 AM
vash (Ashley)

I guess I'd be happy with either camera then.
I might go with the 450D as thats what I had my heart set on. Thanks for the help.
Old 16-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Tandum (Robin)

My 450D was great, but my brother in law made me an offer for it I could not refuse. My 40D is easily twice as heavy. The only other difference I notice is that the 450D LCD sceen stayed on showing the cameras settings, where as the 40D LCD screen stays off.
Old 16-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Bob Jones
Bob Jones

I too am considering a 40D. Do all the necessary cables come as standard?
Is there any difference between "Australian stock" and "English-Japanese model" shown on different Aust.websites.

Also, DSLR Focus seems to be a necessary purchase for complete beginner like me.

Bob Jones

Bob Jones
12" LX200
Old 16-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
Is there any difference between "Australian stock" and "English-Japanese model" shown on different Aust.websites.

Also, DSLR Focus seems to be a necessary purchase for complete beginner like me.

Bob Jones

Bob Jones
12" LX200
I think the 220V 50Hz AC cords have a different termination to ours .

We have a Y config , they have -= config ?
Old 16-08-2008, 05:23 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

DSLRFocus will not work with the 40D, save your money, only Canons up to the 350D are supported, there have been no upgrades for years and don't look like there will be any.

Cheers

JohnG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post

Bob Jones

Bob Jones
12" LX200
Old 16-08-2008, 09:02 PM
leon

Bob, DSLR is not a necessity at all, get yourself a Canon Angle finder, which you can use with any of the Canon range of cameras, and you wont have to use and software at all, just your eyes.

I use a Canon 5D and have never focused with any software assistance, ever, and 95% of the time it is pretty spot on.

Leon
Old 16-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Babalyon 5

Go the 40D. Better built/more solid feel. Better features, very excellent shots and great to use.