Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

canon 20d and backyard eos

Hi,
I got my self a 20d (modded) and i would like to be able to use backyard eos to control my imaging. however i need some sort of n3 to serial connection. I have come across the Shoestring DSUSB and appropriate cables. Does anyone have one of these and does it work under win7 64bit with backyard eos?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
bojan
amateur

Do you need serial cable to control a camera (by DSLR Shutter application)?
If yes, then yes, it works on w7 (Home Premium) on my Lenovo lap, via USB->Serial adapter (visible to system as Com 4).

However, I would recommend you to use one of those low-cost timers available on ebay for couple of bucks.. it is not easy to carry a laptop around..

Last edited by bojan; 01-09-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

got a remote...however i will only be using the camera for AP with my scope...normal photography of flowers and butterflies doesnt interest me...

I am wanted to use either Backyard eos or EOS Utility as a pseudo live view for easier and quicker focusing as well as exposure control...
Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
bojan
amateur

OK... for EOS utility only USB cable should be enough.
Just be aware, there are some reports here on forum of excess readout noise (banding) when USB cable is attached.
I never noticed this with my 400D (maybe because banding is higher than average), but I was still using the camera with computer un USB only for framing and focussing (with help of FocusAssist) and after that I would remove the laptop and continue with remote only (for actual images and dark frames).

Last edited by bojan; 01-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Good advice from Bojan.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

focusing and image alignment are all im really needing this for...i could probably make do for awhile...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Sorry to butt in here but from the thread I gather it is possible to get a 'pseudo Live View' from earler Canon DSLR's with Backyard EOS thus enabling PC focusing and framing ?
I have restricted my search to 450D or higher and watched as 20D's and other slipped by at quite cheap prices. Maybe I have been missing something ?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
DJT (David)

I use backyardeos with a canon 30d and needed the shoestring cable in addition to the USB. Guy, who distributes will generally ask you what camera you are using when you order. Check with home first.

Please note though that I also have a 20d and this does not work well with windows 7. There are no canon drivers for this combination...there are ways to download just images to a pc with win7 from 20d but it will not work with BYE.

I have not tried DSLR Shutter, but I assume that if there are no canon 20d drivers for win 7 then I question whether this would work properly either. Same goes for canons own utility.

With the 20d I basically used to frame and focus without any gadgets and it works very well, but you do miss the capture management stuff.

Bojan, just reading your post, you mentioned you had a 450 working with win7, do you also have a 20d? If so, and you have it fully working with capture management software can you post how you did it cos I am stumped.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Bojan, just reading your post, you mentioned you had a 450 working with win7, do you also have a 20d? If so, and you have it fully working with capture management software can you post how you did it cos I am stumped.
No, I have 400D and 60D...
For framing, I used FocusAssist (freeware) with 400D, via USB, on XP.
Not sure if this version works with 60d. And I just noticed there is now new commercial version of Focus assist (v3) .. but I don't know anything about it as I never used it (the old one was good enough for all I needed)
EOS utility works with no problems, on both XP and w7, with both cameras.

DSLR Shutter works via RS232 (on w7 lap I am using USB-RS232 adapter), with both 400D and 60D (as they both have the same 2.5mm stereo receptacle for shutter control).
You don't need any camera specific drivers (apart from standard OS serial driver), as the program controls RTS on the serial interface connector pin to activate the camera shutter (with help of external transistor)
The cable I build myself (details are on Stark Lab webpage)

Recently I tried EOS video record with 60d (http://valexvir.narod.ru/), works OK on w7 via USB.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 PM
naskies (Dave)

Unfortunately, the Canon 20D only works with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 - NOT the 64-bit version:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/wi.../win7page.html
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

Yeah...i have been looking more into this and for the money i would have to spend it just aint worth it...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
Unfortunately, the Canon 20D only works with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 - NOT the 64-bit version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortilus View Post
Yeah...i have been looking more into this and for the money i would have to spend it just aint worth it...
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/wi.../win7page.html
This is true only for EOS utility (and USB cable)... I thought we are talking about controlling the camera shutter with serial cable.
So, in order to use EOS utility, you need to find older computer or laptop (XP) - not too hard a task (and only small fraction of the cost you'll have to pay if you cross to the dark side.. )

Last edited by bojan; 10-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.