Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-05-2020, 11:25 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

CAUTION regards Feathertouch Focusers

For Information of those using Feathertouch focusers:

Only use the thumbscrew under the focuser to lock the focus in place, Do Not engage it partially and then move the focuser..... Kent had a new FT3545 fitted to his TEC200 that failed as he had been using the thumbscrew to adjust tension (as instructed) but this causes wear that requires full dismantling and parts replacement..... Wayne and Jon declined Kent's warranty claim saying that he had caused the damage and it cost $300 USD for the repair...

Draw tube tension must be adjusted by the socket screw on top of these FT focusers.....

I have just adjusted two of my three FT focusers so that the 'tension screw' does not need to be touched unless I really want to lock the focuser....

Here is some light reading for all FT users:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...problem/page-3
Old 21-05-2020, 01:13 PM
gregbradley

Thanks for that. I was unaware of that. I'll adjust mine accordingly - thanks.

Greg.
Old 21-05-2020, 05:38 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Matt what amount do you turn the adjustment screw at a time
Old 21-05-2020, 07:32 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
Matt what amount do you turn the adjustment screw at a time
I set the scope up in the mount, pointed it at zenith with my Zeiss binoviewer and a pair of Pano24s installed and then adjusted the top tension screw until the drawtube just stayed still. The pressure really depends on what you plan to hang off the visual back...
Old 22-05-2020, 08:06 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Did this today and at zenith the focuser slipped so levelled the scope just gave the hex hole on top a tighten only a touch though put the scope back at zenith this time no slipping, Did not know this especially about the locking screw underneath very important information so thanks again Matt.....

The most weight that mine will carry is a Baader BBHS Mirror and a 21 Ethos and the Tak extender so I will do that today and thanks Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I set the scope up in the mount, pointed it at zenith with my Zeiss binoviewer and a pair of Pano24s installed and then adjusted the top tension screw until the drawtube just stayed still. The pressure really depends on what you plan to hang off the visual back...

Last edited by ab1963; 22-05-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 23-07-2020, 04:54 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

ThanksMatt. Back in May when this post appeared I went straight to my CFF and made sure the bottom screw lock was not tight. Back in the case it went. Two nights ago, I decided to get the CFF out for a run. Forgot all about the focuser tension until I sent the scope to a star near the zenith. Could not hold focus, even with a lightweight eyepiece. Then I remembered your post, but could not find the right Allen key for the top nut. So I focused the scope on a much lower star, then locked it up using the bottom screw. Kept the same eyepiece in for the rest of the night. Next day I worked out that the socket screw is a 3/16" allen, and imperial keys are a bit lacking in my garage. Finally found one and gave the TOP screw a touch up and all fine for last night's viewing. Again Matt, thanks for this post, very worthwhile to know for all those with FT focusers.
Old 23-07-2020, 05:59 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Quote:
Kent had a new FT3545 fitted to his TEC200 that failed as he had been using the thumbscrew to adjust tension (as instructed)
Hi Matt, Just wondering if instructions say to use the thumbscrew to adjust tension why wasn't this under warranty as that's what Kent did? (Hope I understood correctly).
Cheers, Richard
Old 24-07-2020, 07:03 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Richard, they didn't really explain why the warranty wouldn't cover it. Given that the focuser was new, I think it should have been covered.
Old 24-07-2020, 01:46 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Yeah, If I was Kent I would not be happy. I'm a bit surprised that they would not fix it free of charge considering their price and a reputation to uphold. It seems not many people are aware of the problem so good on you for the heads up.
Cheers, Richard