Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #21  
Old 12-08-2019, 06:59 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 18,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Marc

Thanks for alerting me to this event (via e-mail), I would have missed it otherwise.

I captured an AVI of the Moon's limb just after Saturn disappeared, with exposure set for the Moon so I hope I can make a composite later.

Cheers

Dennis
Nice! I tweaked the frame rate to get a dim saturn but bright enough and trying not to burn the highlights on the moon. Not sure what will come out of it but I shot plenty so I might get lucky.
Gotta say I was a little disappointed not being able to see the moons. The stellarium animation looked really good. I though yeah that's gonna look awesome. But reality was hard yakka just to get Saturn and the moon.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Here is a quick and dirty composite from the back garden.

Not sure if I have processed this correctly as I don't have a good handle on the ASI 224 MC just yet.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (182156_L_ZWO ASI224MC_Rx25 Crop 1280.jpg)
171.8 KB47 views
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Nice! I tweaked the frame rate to get a dim saturn but bright enough and trying not to burn the highlights on the moon. Not sure what will come out of it but I shot plenty so I might get lucky.
Gotta say I was a little disappointed not being able to see the moons. The stellarium animation looked really good. I though yeah that's gonna look awesome. But reality was hard yakka just to get Saturn and the moon.
Hah - yes, I gave up on the moons of Saturn as soon as the over-exposed lunar limb hit the edge of the frame.

Cheers

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:27 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 18,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Here is a quick and dirty composite from the back garden.

Not sure if I have processed this correctly as I don't have a good handle on the ASI 224 MC just yet.

Cheers

Dennis
Geez! That is very neat!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:52 PM
bigjoe's Avatar
bigjoe (Joe)
Registered User

bigjoe is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,290
GREAT view of the Occultation tonight in my 130mm Triplet Apo..with my Takahashi TOE ORTHO 4mm beating my 3mm Delite for Contrast!
910mm focal length scope..WOW views both sides of the Moon.
Now for a look in the CPC 925!
Bigjoe.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:53 PM
bigjoe's Avatar
bigjoe (Joe)
Registered User

bigjoe is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Here is a quick and dirty composite from the back garden.

Not sure if I have processed this correctly as I don't have a good handle on the ASI 224 MC just yet.

Cheers

Dennis
Lovely ..saw all the banding in my scopes!
Bigjoe
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Geez! That is very neat!
Hi Marc

What a shock to see Saturn pop out of the other side - no dark terminator to moderate the brightness difference.

I almost burned out the screen!

Cheers

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:03 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 18,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Marc

What a shock to see Saturn pop out of the other side - no dark terminator to moderate the brightness difference.

I almost burned out the screen!

Cheers

Dennis
I know. Me too. I was waiting for it then looked at the time and thought bloody hell it should be here already. Sure enough by slowing down the frame rate I saw half a smudge. I had to completely burn the moon limb to see Saturn, barely. Big difference from the ingress. Nearly missed it on its way out. I tried to look for Titan prior. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I know. Me too. I was waiting for it then looked at the time and thought bloody hell it should be here already. Sure enough by slowing down the frame rate I saw half a smudge. I had to completely burn the moon limb to see Saturn, barely. Big difference from the ingress. Nearly missed it on its way out. I tried to look for Titan prior. Good luck with that.
Hi Marc

I have found that when I try to stack the AVIs in AS!3 using COG, the burned out lunar limb causes some aligning and stacking problems, so I switched to Surface and anchored the Green Box on Saturn and that has worked for the 1 AVI I just processed with Saturn close to the burned out limb.

Cheers

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:52 PM
doppler's Avatar
doppler (Rick)
Registered User

doppler is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mackay
Posts: 1,509
Used a dslr for the ingress and was able to get a good compromise with exposure of the moon and saturn in a single shot. Switched camera to the zwo120mm for the egress and couldn't get anything till I burned out the moon. Here's the burnt moon and a composite. A hard task but good fun doing something different, no second chances with these events it's all over in a flash.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (saturn2.jpg)
47.6 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (saturn moon.jpg)
140.1 KB54 views
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-08-2019, 09:02 PM
h0ughy's Avatar
h0ughy (David)
DOGHOUSE REBORN

h0ughy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NEWCASTLE NSW Australia
Posts: 30,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Here is a quick and dirty composite from the back garden.

Not sure if I have processed this correctly as I don't have a good handle on the ASI 224 MC just yet.

Cheers

Dennis
master class the image difference between both is huge
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 PM
mental4astro's Avatar
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

mental4astro is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 4,611
Ah, what the heck...

Phone pointing into a 14mm Vixen SSW in an Intes 715D Mak.

Yeah, as Rick said, had to burn out the Moon in order to pick up Saturn.

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Occultaion Aug (2).jpg)
47.5 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (Occultaion Aug (5).jpg)
102.2 KB31 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 12-08-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: oops, typo
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Used a dslr for the ingress and was able to get a good compromise with exposure of the moon and saturn in a single shot. Switched camera to the zwo120mm for the egress and couldn't get anything till I burned out the moon. Here's the burnt moon and a composite. A hard task but good fun doing something different, no second chances with these events it's all over in a flash.
Rick
Really nice work Rick - you have shown the dynamic range so well with these shots and I love the composition - top stuff.

A difficult day at the office eh!

Cheers

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-08-2019, 09:40 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 18,125
Here's a quick stack of one of the videos. I reckon I can work with what I've got tonight and get some nice frames. Still transfering from the laptop. So many files...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (18_33_22_g4_ap120.jpg)
196.0 KB40 views
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Here's a quick stack of one of the videos. I reckon I can work with what I've got tonight and get some nice frames. Still transfering from the laptop. So many files...
Oh my, Marc, that is just lovely. Congrats on balancing the extremes of light so well. Moon is sharp as.

Cheers

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Here is a matching pair from very close to the Ingress and Egress phases.

Both are compositions of dual shots exposed for the Moon and then shots exposed for Saturn. The light bleeding into the frame from the Moon made it quite challenging to get the optimum exposure for Saturn and then blending the 2 together took all the might of Photoshop.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn Moon Crop 1280.jpg)
173.8 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (Saturn Moon Egress Crop 1280.jpg)
175.5 KB36 views
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Ah, what the heck...

Phone pointing into a 14mm Vixen SSW in an Intes 715D Mak.

Yeah, as Rick said, had to burn out the Moon in order to pick up Saturn.

Alex.
Great phone shots Alexander, they really do show the massive difference in size and brightness of these two objects.

Cheers

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-08-2019, 10:34 PM
h0ughy's Avatar
h0ughy (David)
DOGHOUSE REBORN

h0ughy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NEWCASTLE NSW Australia
Posts: 30,540
300 gig of data and i still cant process them properly. this is a composite image of the night - the first of many to process. there are many excellent images taken of this tonight - sadly none were mine.

ed80 with asi174mm . still have heaps to process taken with gstar ex3
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (19_38_56_l4_ap2592psmoonsaturnweb.jpg)
136.7 KB35 views
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-08-2019, 10:35 PM
doppler's Avatar
doppler (Rick)
Registered User

doppler is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mackay
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Here is a matching pair from very close to the Ingress and Egress phases.

Both are compositions of dual shots exposed for the Moon and then shots exposed for Saturn. The light bleeding into the frame from the Moon made it quite challenging to get the optimum exposure for Saturn and then blending the 2 together took all the might of Photoshop.

Cheers

Dennis

Those shots are excellent, love the second one the moon is so crisp.
Rick
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Dennis is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
300 gig of data and i still cant process them properly. this is a composite image of the night - the first of many to process. there are many excellent images taken of this tonight - sadly none were mine.

ed80 with asi174mm . still have heaps to process taken with gstar ex3
Hi Dave

I'd hate to be your IT Support with that amount of data.

That is a stunning wider field view with excellent contrast and detail, well done.

I'm off to bed now, way too much excitement for one night.

Cheers

Dennis
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 07:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement