Old 13-06-2018, 12:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Almost there.

Getting all the gear and getting everything working is an ongoing task but last night I nearly got there.
But it took so long to set it all up.
Introduced a battery to serve only the lap top via a small inverter, ran pole master and auto guide.
I had a rather good pole alignment until I used pole master☺
The star stayed on the circle if that means anything but when I tried the monitor thing I just knew it was leading me astray...
No doubt I did something wrong but the point is everything is in place.
I still only used 30 second captures but ran phd and adjusted stuff.
3-30 am finish with more data building up...not worried about final processing , well I cant the lappy is stacking from morning to night I really need another machine to process stacks at the moment.
In the pipe line is Antares, Eagle neb, Prawn Neb and the small m cloud...
The dew is unbelievable I think my scope and camera need a little jumper or rain coat.

The finder and guide scopes were fogging in minutes...more things to do.
And I think I should get yet another battery when I go narrow band.

Anyways I must say I am proud of my efforts (although one should avoid pride) as it is extremely physically challenging and at my age details make you cranky add sleep deprivation and resultant confusion it certainly gets the best I can give.

Next step is to get a caravan so I dont have to be in the main house and have to tip toe around late at night.

Alex
Old 13-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Imme (Jon)

Great work Alex.

Really enjoying reading about your journey
Old 13-06-2018, 01:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Jon.
I sincerely hope that folk realise if an old uneducated mug like me who is near cripple can manage to get something happening that they can do it also.

The great irony is the $200 nikon lens delivers extremely , for me, satifying results.
And so many people can get involved with a very small investement.
And I post so folk realise how well off they really are.
Alex
Old 13-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Alex,
You inspire us beginners never to give up, I really enjoy reading your posts and you have always been willing to us give advice on all areas of VA and AP

I lasted 20 minutes on Monday night , the heavy dew forced me indoors , my place in Sydney is on the low end of the street only 25m above river level , lots of mist and dew on a calm night. Made up some dew shields out of pvc pipe , only a temporary measure.Had to expend more cash and buy a dew control system with heater Velcro strips
You have to be prepared to open your wallet in this game

Thanks
Martin
Old 13-06-2018, 03:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin.
PVC is heavy and expensive maybe?
I suggest cardboard.
Paint it and it will survive dew.
Paint inside black and sprinkle saw dust and paint over and repeat if necessary.
My giant baffled one has worked thru last night that was so damp my beard was dripping.

I posted a photo but I will try again if you have not seen it...I built it to restrict stray light the fact that it works so well in the dew is a bonus.
Alex
Old 13-06-2018, 03:39 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Alex,
You inspire us beginners never to give up, I really enjoy reading your posts and you have always been willing to us give advice on all areas of VA and AP

I lasted 20 minutes on Monday night , the heavy dew forced me indoors , my place in Sydney is on the low end of the street only 25m above river level , lots of mist and dew on a calm night. Made up some dew shields out of pvc pipe , only a temporary measure.Had to expend more cash and buy a dew control system with heater Velcro strips
You have to be prepared to open your wallet in this game

Thanks
Martin
I've just popped together the mother of all dew control rigs for $30 consisting of a beer brewers heater strap and a light dimmer switch.
I think the name of the game is to be creative wherever possible.........as Alex has shown with his cube, dew shield and numerous other inventions!
Old 13-06-2018, 06:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I made today a shield for the finder scope and the guide scope.
There was a perfect piece of cardboard in tbe fire box quiet thick..almost too thick as I had to roll it round on a spray can..
I did not have any paint so I wrapped it in red insulating tape locky very professional..the red balances the red zwo on the othe end of the guide scope...the inside is not painted so it may go soogy however it will test how much that helps.
My 240 stack of yhe Prawn Neb after producing and image crashed so without thinking I started again this time selecting 85% to weed out the poorer ones and added some darks...but the image that I saw for a moment with a slight adjustment like the first twenty seconds it vanished...anyway its running again and its clearded up but I will do without it as I could get cloudy quick.
At least test the little dew shield.
Good news both batteries achieved max charge with minimal Sun so that is a positive.
My daughter and I were playing around photgraphing Jupiter..she loved the little Moons must post a shot its cute but I dialed back the iso tried a few things and managed a shot which blown up you could see the rings..poor quality but it has got me thinking to see what you could do at such a short fl.
So I am trying an extenstiin of my findvthe center of the circle alignment...making sure the scope is lined up with the polar axis...and trap for young players..the mount had settled a little and it needed a level up date..small point but...

I feel tired but I have determine if it is ever clear to be out there.

As I said to my father if you have a keg of beer you gotta keep drinking sure its bad for your health as is staying up late but hey what are you going to do...

And showed my daughter around pointing out locations discussing black holes and gravity as I see it and assuring her that I am not crazy...and she believes me.☺

I have found a lady astrologer to look after the other place...its gone down hill because of my absence..the observatory was taken..I must ask about the 12 inch the shed burnt down or someone burnt it down.
The price of too many other things to do and having a place I cant get...still it is what it is...the stars are out at the moment and the camera is farming me a harvest of photons...
Think of them as has having a value given the money we spend..could one work out what each photon costs to produce...big numbers..need the fed☺
Alex
Old 14-06-2018, 10:08 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thank you Jon.
I sincerely hope that folk realise if an old uneducated mug like me who is near cripple can manage to get something happening that they can do it also.

The great irony is the $200 nikon lens delivers extremely , for me, satifying results.
And so many people can get involved with a very small investement.
And I post so folk realise how well off they really are.
Alex

Alex, a stroke four years ago left me crippled. Can't use my good gear anymore so forced to make do with what I can. Just as well I'm not lazy like most folks and pushing what I have to its limits is in my nature already. I find it disheartening to see so many people think throwing money at hte problem is the solution, dont listen to advice and realise they are out of their depth with a new set of problems, when all they need was patience and to think before acting.

I'd suggest reformatting your laptop and setting it up with ONLY what you need for control and capture. Nothing else. Disable wifi too (power drain) and keep if offline, if it works you dont need it to be online ever and it wont disrupt a capture session with self updating. Set power options to turn off the screen as quick as possible too and turn off hibernation or drive sleep options too. have a good capacity external drive (SSD preferred 1-2TB size) to record to and easy to plug into another machine. It should be fast enough unless you need to record very high speed, very rare. for deep space etc drive speed of little consequence. Then you just take the drive to another machine to transfer and process the data, letting you shut down the laptop to prolong its life and save it from getting filled and slowed with processing temp files, or processing interfering with a capture session.

I've switched to focusing on capture as my priority, I am very time poor and still have to work full time. But for me capturing the data is priority and I can use time later on another machine to process when available. I'm not contributing to discoveries so processing in a hurry is not important (I know its exciting to see if you got what you wanted and often do a quick processing to check especially if its a new target or gear). Like Mars approaching opposition at the moment, I've made changes and been out a bunch of times, gotten my best images of Mars to date which is great and still got data to process and each time I go out I don't feel pressured into capturing Saturn or Jupiter too since they are up there and I feel comfortable devoting extra time to testing capture settings to refine them. I often capture multiple times with slight adjustments so I can compare later if the results after processing are better or worse. I've also stopped worrying about what else is up while I'm there. I have my capture target in mind, planets are quick so once I do the one I was after I might go after another.

As for a $200 nikon lens, yes my nikon on a regular camera tripod (no tracking) is all I currently use for deep space objects. Not the ideal setup but certainly very doable for anyone with patience to learn and half a brain (thanks to my stroke I only have half a brain .

Good to see you havent thrown in the towel Alex as health interferes with life. Astronomy has much to offer at all levels and it may require you to shift areas of interest to suit your physical limitations, there are ways and means to maximise with your minimal capabilities and gear still. Its a problem solved by will power rather than cash as I'm sure you know.

steve
Old 14-06-2018, 12:44 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Alex,
You inspire us beginners never to give up, I really enjoy reading your posts and you have always been willing to us give advice on all areas of VA and AP...
...Thanks
Martin
2nd'd. Indeed, thanks Alex for taking the time to share. I've avoided some problems I would have otherwise suffered, if not for the ideas shared by yourself and others.

As Steve just said, the ability to to learn, comes from within our (motivated) selves. The opportunity to learn however, comes only when people share their experiences. Please keep it up.

All the best, Andy.
Old 14-06-2018, 04:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Sil and Andy
I need two laptops as the thing is stacking all day.
Alex