Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 20-02-2007, 10:54 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Wide angle between 7 and 9mm

G'day all,

I'm looking for a wide angle 7mm - 9mm eyepiece to compliment my 22mm Panoptic.

I could probably save the money for a Nagler but I don't believe it is worth me doing that - I am an astrophotographer "by addiction" and only do visual bits now and then, mostly with my portable 80mm. I am not that picky when it comes to visual optics. I think the money would be better spent on photography gear.

So, I have been considering options such as a Meade Ultra-wide 8.8mm, which is about half the price of the 7mm Nagler. I've never had a problem with my Meade plossle's quality.

Suggestions on Meade's and alternatives?

Roger.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:45 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

The Pentax XW is widefield, but not 80°. I think it's 70°.

I own the 7mm XW, and it's superb. About AU$400.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:47 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Interesting alternative that I'll consider.. but it's quite close to the $485 of the 7mm Nagler ... vs Meade's $285...
Old 20-02-2007, 11:53 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

You'll find the Pentax significantly better than the Meade.
Old 20-02-2007, 12:03 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

The Pentax XW is superb, but since you do not want to spend much and are "not picky" you would probably be very happy with an 8mm Stratus/Hyperion or one of the Saxon clones of these - same fov as your Panoptic. Pentax XF 8.5mm is another fantastic value option - 60 degree FOV - much lighter and smaller than the others which is great for a small scope.
Old 20-02-2007, 12:04 PM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Roger,
I can highly recommend the Siebert Optics "Ultra Series" this is their top of the line equipment.
They have a 7mm & 9mm.
I have a 17mm + the ultra barlow and they've given me the best views I've ever seen.
Harry Siebert is a very good fellow to deal with, and del is very quick.
Check out the website www.siebertoptics.com
Old 20-02-2007, 12:09 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

John, have you compared the Sieberts with some of the more "mainstream" widefield EPs, eg Pano, Nagler, Pentax, Meade SWA/UWA, LVW & clones ...? How do they stack up?
Old 20-02-2007, 12:56 PM
merlin8r
Astro Shop Minion

Just to throw more doubt out there, have you considered the Vixen 8mm LVW? 65 degree FOV.

Clear skies,
Shane
Old 20-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Shane is on the right track
I use a Vixen 8mm LVW.
I think it’s a wonderful eyepiece. Sharp to edge great eye relief, what more can you ask!
Only around $320. http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...asp?id=MAS-081
Old 20-02-2007, 04:09 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Hmm....

So, after comments here and reading reviews, it's so far shaping up between:

LVW 8mm ($320, 65 degree FOV)

Meade 6.7mm ($285, 82 degree FOV)

Both have top reviews in various places... (for their money)..
Old 20-02-2007, 04:17 PM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Steve,
From my experience they are the equal of the Pentax and Meade and almost the equal of the Nagler & Pano's.
Having said that though I doubt that you would be able to "see" the difference. Then again the Sieberts are cheaper than the Naglers.
Go to the website and see the comparisons made between the Ultras and Naglers. The similarities are amazing.
Also,Sieberts make up the lenses for you after you have placed the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss View Post
John, have you compared the Sieberts with some of the more "mainstream" widefield EPs, eg Pano, Nagler, Pentax, Meade SWA/UWA, LVW & clones ...? How do they stack up?
Old 20-02-2007, 04:31 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Thanks for the feedback John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
Steve,
From my experience they are the equal of the Pentax and Meade and almost the equal of the Nagler & Pano's.
IME of the EPs you mention Pentax come out on top, Naglers (type 4,5,6) second, Panos third and Meades last, so we obviously have different criteria for evaluating EPs.

Roger, of the meade UWA and LVW, I'd definitely go the LVW.
Old 20-02-2007, 04:45 PM
matt
6000 post club member

So, is this 7,8,9mm for use only in the small refractor or are you thinking of using it in your SCT???

That's going to be a lot of magnification in your LX and probably only useable on the very best of nights.
Old 20-02-2007, 04:53 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
So, is this 7,8,9mm for use only in the small refractor or are you thinking of using it in your SCT???
Na, this is for use on the 80mm Megrez (480mm focal length)

I currently have a Celestron Ultima, I think 6mm? (not at home so can't check). I bought it 5+ years ago when I only had my 4.5" Newtonian. It has a tiny optical opening of about 3mm for you to somehow look through, and eye releif of about the same 3mm, and a the FOV must be less than 30-40 degrees at a guess. So I never use it, I just use the 22 Panoptic with a 2x barlow, and wish I had something more suitable 11mm isn't quite small enough either, 8mm would be good.
Old 20-02-2007, 05:07 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Well, as the owner of a Pentax XW 10mm, and a variety of other top-end eyepieces, let me say the XWs are a superb eyepiece.

Massive eye lens, loads of eye relief, adjustable eye cup, very nice colour and contrast, crisp.

I could rave for ages. So I'm sure the 7mm is also a peach.

I've owned a couple of LVWs and they are also nice units. Not quite up to the XW, but not far behind.

Might also be worth looking at a Radian? Maybe.

But have a look through an XW and I'm sure you'll happily part with the $$$$. Bellisimo!!!!!!!
Old 20-02-2007, 08:48 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

[QUOTE=matt;195466] So I'm sure the 7mm is also a peach.QUOTE]

It is a delectable dish for the eye!
Old 20-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Fox

Rogerg, haven't tried the Vixen LVW 8mm, but my LVW 13mm is a wonderful EP, a great performer, excellent value for money, and I think the quality of construction and aesthetics of finish are absolutely top notch. (PS: I trialed the Pentax XW 14mm but it did not suit my f/5 Genesis). Fox
Old 20-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hi Roger,

Jupiter season is upon us, and I too am contemplating what EP I need to bridge the gap between my 5mm LVW (which is just plain sharper than my 5mm Radian, BTW) and my 10mm Pentax XW. I cannot really fault either eyepiece. So, the 7mm XW or the 8mm LVW? That's what I've narrowed it down to; a line ball in the dollar:value stakes, I reckon. Probably comes down to which magnification would be most used/useful in your Megrez. And the dollar difference, too, I guess.

Otherwise, get both.

Cheers,

Brian.
Old 22-02-2007, 01:01 PM
PeteMo (Pete)
Bagdad astro nut

Hi Roger
Others have mentioned the Hyperion or Stratus 8mm. I chose the Hyperion as it comes with a 43mm screw thread underneath the eye cup ready for photography/video.

I have it on reliable authority of members of this forum that the Pentax XF eyepieces are optically better eyepieces than the same priced Hyperion. Yes the Baader and Orion are great lenses, but there are also better eyepieces. To gain significant optical advantages there is usually a significant price increase.

Only you can decide whether the optical quality justifies buying the more expensive Pentax XW, TV Radian, Vixen LVW over the Hyperion/Stratus.
Old 22-02-2007, 02:21 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaplacidus View Post
Probably comes down to which magnification would be most used/useful in your Megrez. And the dollar difference, too, I guess.
Well to be honest the two I am trying to decide between is the Meade 6.7mm which is reviewed very well and much better than the 8mm, and the LVW 8mm.

I am stuck at this point, really wanting to be able to look through one or the other, preferrably the Meade, as I know the LVW will be great quality, it's just a bit unclear just how good the Meade is.

I suppose there's only $50 difference, so price isn't a huge factor, but the FOV of the Meade is 82 odd degrees, the LVW was 65 I think? ... That's where the difference is.

Anyway, am greatful for all the replies to my query. I think all that can help now is physically seeing them. Which might never happen so I might have to just pick one by flipping a coin

Roger.