Old 16-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

CWAS David Malin's 2018

The CWAS astrofest/David Malin awards have wound up again with congratulations going to Luke Tscharke for his impressive nightscape of the Tasmanian wilderness:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2...awards/9971136

Luke is a professional landscape photographer based in Tassie and has placed well in previous Malins as well Royal Greenwich.
Apparently this year attracted more entries than ever before which is great to see! Many new names plus a few of the usual suspects were on the winners list.

Canon did a spectacular job in printing the winning images now on display at the Parkes 64 meter telescope’s visitor centre.
Well put by Canon’s Alan Brightman at the exhibition launch “A screen’s resolution of only a few hundred pixels per inch.
The beauty of these mages is truly unveiled when they become a real photograph and are displayed as a high resolution print”

According to Brightman the Malin's have the largest audience of ANY photographic exhibition/competition in Australia by far. Over 200,000 people
viewed the travelling exhibition last year and expect the 2018/9 numbers to go higher again.

Congrats to John Sarkissian and CWAS for holding another cracking Astrofest
Old 16-07-2018, 12:31 PM
bratislav (Bratislav)

Another round of applause to all of the winners, and another 'thank you' for tireless work John puts in year after year.

Yet another strong performance from the ASV members, slowly but surely we're becoming a force to be reckoned with (despite the crappy weather we seem to constantly have).

BTW I'm pretty sure I've cracked the winning formula for the next year's competition ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Winning.jpg)
80.4 KB61 views
Old 16-07-2018, 12:36 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratislav View Post
Another round of applause to all of the winners, and another 'thank you' for tireless work John puts in year after year.

Yet another strong performance from the ASV members, slowly but surely we're becoming a force to be reckoned with (despite the crappy weather we seem to constantly have).

BTW I'm pretty sure I've cracked the winning formula for the next year's competition ...
Old 16-07-2018, 06:16 PM
bratislav (Bratislav)

This year out of 260 or so images submitted, 100 entries were nightscapes, and at least another 30 to 50 (if not more) must have been entered under wide angle and other categories. That makes more than HALF of all entries! Among the winning images, less than 40% were sky only images, others having trees, lakes, mountains, buildings, lighthouses etc. in them.
Like it or not, DMA is rapidly becoming TWAN. Still beautiful pictures, make no mistake, I'm a big fan of those images. But either change of format is announced, or existing rules are enforced (or made more specific). Can't really have it both ways. At least not in the mind of yours truly.
Old 16-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
This year out of 260 or so images submitted, 100 entries were nightscapes, and at least another 30 to 50 (if not more) must have been entered under wide angle and other categories. That makes more than HALF of all entries! Among the winning images, less than 40% were sky only images, others having trees, lakes, mountains, buildings, lighthouses etc. in them.
Like it or not, DMA is rapidly becoming TWAN. Still beautiful pictures, make no mistake, I'm a big fan of those images. But either change of format is announced, or existing rules are enforced (or made more specific). Can't really have it both ways. At least not in the mind of yours truly.
Yep, IMO deepspace is much more work than "ill plop my cam down and take a 30 second shot"
Old 16-07-2018, 06:47 PM
bratislav (Bratislav)

To be fair, lots of those "pretty" images involve just as much work as deep sky or planetary. Just ask Phil about his ordeal in getting the Teton's eclipse shot! Same goes for Luke Tscharke's winning shot, I've walked the Overland and know how hard is to get to that vantage point, let alone in the dark!
I just want rules clear, that is all.
Old 17-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Congratulations to Luke & also to Peter Ward for picking up the Deep space category win (again!)
Actually Bratislav to win the Malins you just need to add NGC 6188 as the background to your image, David has awarded this target 3 times the Deep Space category winner from the last 4 years.
Old 17-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Congratulations to Luke & also to Peter Ward for picking up the Deep space category win (again!)
Actually Bratislav to win the Malins you just need to add NGC 6188 as the background to your image, David has awarded this target 3 times the Deep Space category winner from the last 4 years.
ABC radio gave me a call after it was all done and dusted for an interview which went to air yesterday. It was fun...I believe PHil Hart was also interviewed on ABC TV (better Phil than me...my face is better suited to radio )
Old 17-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Congrats, guys!

I might enter next year (I say, every year).

H
Old 18-07-2018, 09:38 AM
JA

Well done and congratulations guys - Peter, Luke and Stefan, as well as other winners I don't yet know.
Best
JA
Old 18-07-2018, 11:09 AM
gregbradley

Quote:

Old 09-10-2018, 11:27 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

It was my B'day last month, and my Folks kindly got me the Astronomy calendar 2019, on a trip past Astro Anarchy.

I've got to mention, how beautiful these pictures are in print. The calendar is of great quality, which really gives these pictures the chance to shine. To those here who's work is included, you should be very proud - amazing stuff!