Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I see a lot of green (OIII) in M42 and many nebula but to my eyes I have never seen any reds or pinks in apertures up to 16". Everyone's eyes are different, mine are lousy for reds but good for greens.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I observed m42 a couple of months ago through a 120/f5 achro + 28mmEP and it appeared grey-blue with some faint pink in the bright bits coming out from the core. I was very surprised to see any colour at all and I thought perhaps my brain was filling in what I expected to see as I've imaged m42 previously and am familiar with how it 'should' look. Also as I was mainly imaging I was only allowing myself about 10 minutes to dark adapt between observations.
I observed it a few times over about 2 hours while observing other things and tending to my imaging equipment and it looked the same each time.

M42 was probably between about 35-50 degrees and it was at Mt Wilson so not super dark.

It kind of looked like this but the pink was less pronounced and a bit less detail (and a much wider view):
http://www.astrokev.com/wp-content/u...-reproc-a1.jpg
Old 07-01-2014, 01:35 PM
raymo

I'm pushing 80, and my colour perception has definitely dropped away
significantly. I see no colour at all in M42 with my 80mm, or my 6" Newt.
slight green tinge through 8" Newt. Slightly stronger but still faint through 10"Newt. No sign of pink up to 18". I haven't tried
through anything larger in recent years. The exit pupil gets smaller with age, so maybe that's the simple answer. Maybe perception hasn't
actually dropped; I'm just getting less light into the eye.
raymo
Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 PM
doppler (Rick)

I think a good comparison on eyesight sensitivity would be a laser beam. A 5 milliwatt green laser beam is easily visible but on comparison you need a 250 milliwatt red laser to see its beam.
Rick