Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Deepskyman (Paul)

Using the Vixen SXW via SkySafari

Hi there, I've had my SXW for a couple of years now and have been using skysafari as the main controller for the majority of that time. However, although I normally carry out my initial star alignment through the Starbook I found myself on one occasion doing the alignment direct from my iPad via SkySafari. Here's the question, is it possible to carry out complete control of the star book via SkySafari from initial setup? This would be advantageous as it would enable the use of JNow as opposed to J2000 coordinates. Curiously I found the gotos from SkySafari more accurate on this occasion than I normally experience when using the Starbook (because I wasn't sure about the epoch situation I was using SkySafari in J2000 mode, which is what the Starbook uses).

Kind Regards
Paul J.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:06 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Hi Paul,

I have this system too.

Not sure what you mean by total control though ??

As far as I can tell you still need the Starbook.....the SkyFi & SkySafari then just allow Sync/Alignment, Slews and GOTO's and updating of positioning/pointing data.

Cheers