Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 24-11-2020, 04:29 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by alval View Post
... I suppose if it aint broke I should keep using it, been working fine for me for twenty years....

However, if in the future you stumble on suitable motor and associated electronics, you could go for it.

The controller board I have is very basic and low cost solution, without speed feedback (only overload protection is implemented.. which doesn't activate at low speeds anyway)
Old 17-02-2021, 09:47 AM
bojan
amateur

Couple of bugs in arduino "sketch" fixed in this version...
Attached Files
File Type: txt DRO_lathe_v1.12.ino.txt (7.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 30-03-2021, 08:06 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
This lathe has brushless permanent magnet motor, so it is supposed to have speed proportional only to applied voltage. But in practice, torque is significantly lower at very low speeds because of coil resistance (I can stop the chuck by hand) but I think it is not a big problem (unless perhaps cutting the thread on big diameter).
Hi Bojan,

I too am looking at a mini lathe possibly the same model as your lathe as it has a good collection of features/size, not least the ability to cut 0.75mm pitch threads for astro / camera adaptors so when I saw your comment wanted to ask: Were you using the 50-1250 RPM or 100-2500 RPM range when you noticed the low torque at low speed?

The reason I ask is that I was considering exactly the scenario you mentioned: cutting some larger threads. I suppose one could be gentle with the depth of cut and use brass or Aluminium rather than steel to try and accommodate any issues. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the issue as you've observed it directly and stopped it with your own hands, how hard I don't know.

Best
JA
Old 30-03-2021, 03:27 PM
bojan
amateur

I was using 50-1250 range.. where torque is higher due to higher mechanical reduction. It is pretty easy to stop it by hand...

The issue is in control board, the motor speed is determined by voltage (generated by PWM from processor) and there is no feedback.
You are welcome to have a look yourself - PM me so we can arrange something.
Cheers,

Bojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Bojan,

I too am looking at a mini lathe possibly the same model as your lathe as it has a good collection of features/size, not least the ability to cut 0.75mm pitch threads for astro / camera adaptors so when I saw your comment wanted to ask: Were you using the 50-1250 RPM or 100-2500 RPM range when you noticed the low torque at low speed?

The reason I ask is that I was considering exactly the scenario you mentioned: cutting some larger threads. I suppose one could be gentle with the depth of cut and use brass or Aluminium rather than steel to try and accommodate any issues. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the issue as you've observed it directly and stopped it with your own hands, how hard I don't know.

Best
JA
Old 31-03-2021, 05:27 AM
JA

Will do, thanks Bojan.

Best
JA
Old 31-03-2021, 10:37 PM
Constant (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Finished. Tray for swarf and 300mm DRO strip in place, all functional.

Now, I have to start using it :-)
No fan of the expression "bucket list" but.... I'd love a metal lathe. Power to your arm, well done!