Old 29-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Is this normal for this EP

I have a 23mm Celestron Luminos EP, which I brought 2nd hand.

This is a large 2" EP with a 82degree field of view. My issue is that when I observe the Moon, the outer region of the EP has a large, bright orange circle of light. Its like the Moon has its own, circular rainbow.

I know this is a cheap EP for its statistics and the image quality inside of this false colour seems to be good. So is this normal for this type of EP, or have I just ended up with a dud?
Old 29-07-2018, 12:00 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

It's normal for these eyepieces , go over to Cloudy Nights open the eyepiece section and search ' Luminos ring of fire '

Brian.
Old 29-07-2018, 12:06 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Hi Bob
When I first got into this hobby this was the first ep I ever bought the seller said it was as good as the comparable Nagler and I believed him another good old honest person ,Anyway did not like it at all really bad at controlling scatter and that bright ring around the moon was unacceptable to me so sold it on straight away......
Old 29-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Thanks guys for your info.

I am intending to sell mine at a cheap price, with disclosure of the issue. Even without this problem, I dislike it because of its size and weight.

I am surprised that an EP with this glare and colour issue even made it to the market.
Old 31-07-2018, 05:14 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Yes , I have a 32mm Axiom , the pre-curser to the newer Luminos and these don't have any of the problems of the Luminos and I have put mine against a 31mm Nagler in many scopes many times and its very close in performance , HUGE ! but so is the Telemangler .

I dont know what Celestron did to change them but I did read once that they had a fallout with the origonal Axiom manufacturers and had to get another and could not continue the ' Axiom ' name ,, shame really that politics killed a very good eyepiece off .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
Thanks guys for your info.

I am intending to sell mine at a cheap price, with disclosure of the issue. Even without this problem, I dislike it because of its size and weight.

I am surprised that an EP with this glare and colour issue even made it to the market.