Old 18-01-2021, 11:09 AM
JohnF (John)

FILTERS FOR m42 and Pleades

For Plrades and M42, oripn Nebula what filters are
recommended? Already do have a Nebula filter fòr my planned Outteach., 13th February. Organixi g llocation this weekend..
Old 18-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Craig_

You don't say what camera you have, if using an unmodded DSLR you may not need anything, but if you have an astro camera a UV-IR Cut for M42 will work well, and I assume also for the Pleiades but I have not imaged that one yet.

Any light pollution filter that is still broadband should also work. You can also enhance M42 with a Ha filter (to give HaRGB) but this isn't necessary. I've had good results just with a ZWO UV/IR Cut.
Old 21-01-2021, 07:45 AM
JohnF (John)

This is for visual, not for photography. Planning an outreach, "Astronomy in the ...."

Main telescope for the Orion nebula should be my C925. For Pleiades my 90mm Refractor.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:14 AM
astro744

M42 doesn't really need a filter if the sky is dark but a UHC or O-III will give it some extra punch particularly in the city. M45 or the Pleiades just requires low power with about a 2 deg. field minimum. A filter wont do anything to enhance the reflection nebula surrounding the cluster. A very dark sky may help see it without filter.