Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 02-12-2020, 09:08 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Argo Navis / SkySafari 6 and Pro Issues

Clear skies all.

I've recently purchased Argo Navis as well as the RN240M bluetooth adapter. I've watched a youtube video from Brisbane Astro Society which shows how to hook the adapter up via Skysafari and make the connection to Argo. I have changed the scope settings as advised (Meade LX200 classic and alt/az goto). One thing I cannot find is changing the connection settings in Skysafari to bluetooth. It simply does not give me the option.

Also my ipad will not pick up the adapter via bluetooth settings. I've contacted Gary at Wildcard and he has sent me some great notes. I am running the adapter via a powerbank. It is flashing green (quickly initially after power on then the flashes slow down to about 1 per second). I've tuned bluetooth off and back on, turned my ipad off and back on, restored settings and it is up to date with latest ios.

My laptop will pick the adapter up on bluetooth but I can't install Skysafari on PC.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues or can provide some advice on what I'm not doing.

Many thanks
Scott
Old 03-12-2020, 07:50 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Scott

I think you are right; I do not recall any Bluetooth comms option in SkySafari for mobile devices ie my IPad, nor my iPhone. I’ll have another look tonight.

SkySafari for laptop or desktop is quite different. There is a Bluetooth comms option in these programs.

What was your thinking behind using a Bluetooth connection?

I have set mine up more conventionally using SkySafari’s wifi comms facility:

Laptop/mobile device to SkyFi3 adaptor via wifi, then serial cable to my Argo Navis.

This works flawlessly and is quite robust.

Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesbie View Post
Clear skies all.

I've recently purchased Argo Navis as well as the RN240M bluetooth adapter. I've watched a youtube video from Brisbane Astro Society which shows how to hook the adapter up via Skysafari and make the connection to Argo. I have changed the scope settings as advised (Meade LX200 classic and alt/az goto). One thing I cannot find is changing the connection settings in Skysafari to bluetooth. It simply does not give me the option.

Also my ipad will not pick up the adapter via bluetooth settings. I've contacted Gary at Wildcard and he has sent me some great notes. I am running the adapter via a powerbank. It is flashing green (quickly initially after power on then the flashes slow down to about 1 per second). I've tuned bluetooth off and back on, turned my ipad off and back on, restored settings and it is up to date with latest ios.

My laptop will pick the adapter up on bluetooth but I can't install Skysafari on PC.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues or can provide some advice on what I'm not doing.

Many thanks
Scott
Old 03-12-2020, 10:37 AM
gary

Hi Scott,

Bluetooth is certainly appears as an option that appears and works within
the SkySafari menu on Android devices, such as Samsung Galaxy phones
and tablets and also appears and works on Mac OS X including running
the latest Big Sur release but it appears they don't support it on iOS
devices.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:34 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Hi Steve. Last night I used a Samsung phone I had at home and it picked up the bluetooth serial adapter.

What I was thinking I could do is (once all set up) use Skysafari to locate a target to look at, click on it and that Skysafari would send the co-ords to Argo for me. Then I'd manually turn the scope (collapsible dob) to said numbers. Maybe I have the through process wrong. See the end of the video attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzohnNU9MJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Hi Scott

I think you are right; I do not recall any Bluetooth comms option in SkySafari for mobile devices ie my IPad, nor my iPhone. I’ll have another look tonight.

SkySafari for laptop or desktop is quite different. There is a Bluetooth comms option in these programs.

What was your thinking behind using a Bluetooth connection?

I have set mine up more conventionally using SkySafari’s wifi comms facility:

Laptop/mobile device to SkyFi3 adaptor via wifi, then serial cable to my Argo Navis.

This works flawlessly and is quite robust.

Steve.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:35 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

I'll have another play over the weekend. See how I go with it all.