Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-02-2017, 07:41 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Dark skies ..

I drove down south at the weekend for a conference on Ebikes held in Taupo in the middle of the North Island. The convener lived out on the west side of the lake away from most of the local LP.

I left the conference about 10pm and drove about a km up the road to a no-house zone and stepped out into Dark Sky heaven.

Had my 12 x 50 binocs with me but I could see M42 as a naked eye smudge. Eta C was quite visible and Wishing Well could be discerned easily. Stood there for about 20 mins at the side of the road just gawking.
In the binocs it was just incredible.
I thought I did ok up in Akld but this was just so crystal clear ....
Old 26-02-2017, 08:14 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
I drove down south at the weekend for a conference on Ebikes held in Taupo in the middle of the North Island. The convener lived out on the west side of the lake away from most of the local LP.

I left the conference about 10pm and drove about a km up the road to a no-house zone and stepped out into Dark Sky heaven.

Had my 12 x 50 binocs with me but I could see M42 as a naked eye smudge. Eta C was quite visible and Wishing Well could be discerned easily. Stood there for about 20 mins at the side of the road just gawking.
Yes. Dark skys Brent.
As a matter of fact Im flying down to Melbourne Thursday next week to near Sunbury where my Brother has a property . Reasonably darkish skys nearby ; so Im taking the little 125 ETX and large binos along for a look. I cant wait.
bigjoe.
Old 26-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I love those clear dark moments too, where one's eyes reveal so much with some patient observing and then going "deep" with binoculars.
Cheers
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post

Old 26-02-2017, 09:34 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
I love those clear dark moments too, where one's eyes reveal so much with some patient observing and then going "deep" with binoculars.
Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve .
Procured some nice 80mm binos, so cant wait to try them out : Around Canis, Puppis, Vela etc down in VIC . So I know what you mean . Who needs drugs.... I'll be in a trance of my own doing!
Respect always bigjoe.
Old 26-02-2017, 09:43 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

re skies

BTW Steve . I will be checking out some doubles, but mostly whats easily achieved on the Audiostar handset , and a small list I have in the darker skies I'll be at. Eg Struve 761 near Sigma Orionis etc.
bigjoe.
Old 26-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Joe, yes Sigma Orionis and nearby Struve 761 is one of my favourite fields of view.
I am in Vic also to visit a grandchild. We have spent the first week in Melb with clear skies and I cannot believe how bad the light pollution is after our very dark skies at home south of Hobart. We are travelling west now with time in Mt Gambier and then the Grampians. So hopefully some clear dark skies then.
Where will you be?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
BTW Steve . I will be checking out some doubles, but mostly whats easily achieved on the Audiostar handset , and a small list I have in the darker skies I'll be at. Eg Struve 761 near Sigma Orionis etc.
bigjoe.
Old 26-02-2017, 10:22 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Hi Joe, yes Sigma Orionis and nearby Struve 761 is one of my favourite fields of view.
I am in Vic also to visit a grandchild. We have spent the first week in Melb with clear skies and I cannot believe how bad the light pollution is after our very dark skies at home south of Hobart. We are travelling west now with time in Mt Gambier and then the Grampians. So hopefully some clear dark skies then.
Where will you be?

Steve
Steve .
Thursday I will be in Melbourne city as my brother is just about to touch down there from Las Vegas, where he spends a lot of time. Then Im off to Sunbury with him and his wife, mine couldn't come and she loves a glance up now and then ; so my itinerary is unsure at this stage ....would have loved to have met in person.
bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 26-02-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: add info