ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Mamba (David)

Binoviewer and zoom eyepeices

I use a WO binoviewer with my 120mm f7.5 refractor and at present only have the supplied 20mm eyepeices. I am considering buying a pair of Hyperion Mk IV 8/24mm eyepeices. Will this combination work and are the zoom eyepeices of adequate quality to provide acceptable views. I am unable to afford pairs of TVs or other high end glasswear.
Would appreciate any advice from experienced bino users.
Thanks for any comments
Mamba
Old 28-04-2017, 09:55 PM
casstony

If you've got deep set eyes and/or a narrow IPD the zooms may not work. I can't use the Hyperion zooms or other eyepieces with wide bodies.
Old 28-04-2017, 10:34 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

agree with tony, the quality of thre baader is there, but they are a large eyepiece.
if you can find them the Nikon 7-21x [25-75x] zoom is a terrific ep in a sml form factor, failing that the Nikon 13-30x [9-21mm] is also a good ep providing neutral ortho like views
Old 29-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Mamba (David)

Casstony, Dannat,
Some time ago a similar query was raised regarding Morpheus eyepieces and their use in binos, the question being were they physically too big to be used in binos. I got together with MaatT and we brought our respective 12.5mm eyepieces together in a WO binoviewer to find out if it was a viable option. MattT later wrote "no problem with IPD and nose room.....plenty of space. I agreed with these findings.
Baarder in their blurbs say that the zooms are ideal for binos so it may be that Baarder are producing smaller eyepieces these days, the Morpheus is 55mm max as is the zoom.
If size is the only objection I may well go ahead with the purchase but before I do would be interested in any further comments regarding the suitability of the Mk IV zooms in binos. I am encouraged by Dannat's comment that "the quality is there" when referring to the Hyperion Zoom
Mamba

Last edited by Mamba; 29-04-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Eyepeice size
Old 29-04-2017, 10:18 AM
casstony

Go for it David. The version III zooms I had worked well but I had to hold my head at an awkward angle to use them. I still have one Hyperion zoom and I'm happy with it's optical quality.
Old 29-04-2017, 03:17 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

it often depends on an individuals own personal nose & the bridge across it
Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Don Pensack

Just a couple notes:
1) many people find the TeleVue Delites too large for binoviewing and they are only 48.5mm in diameter. So more is involved than the outside diameter of the eyepiece.
2) after years of looking into eyepieces perpendicular to my face (in a dob), when I use a binoviewer, I raise the seat until I am looking into the eyepieces perpendicular to my face. As a result, the bridge of my nose never comes close to the eyepieces, any more than it does when I use the eyepiece as a single. To me it's like using binoculars.
I notice, on the other hand, that many observers sit very low and look into the binoviewers as if looking into a microscope, looking down at an angle.
That means the nose is close to, or even between, the eyepieces instead of well back from them.
If that's the case, lowering or removing the eyecups might make a lot of difference for clearance. And raising your seat so you look through the binoviewers at a different angle can also help.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Hoges (John)

I have a Denkmeier BV and find the Meade series 5000 plossl's with 60 degree afov to be excellent performers in the bino's. I have the 17mm Baader Hyperion's too and while they do work ok, they're darn heavy and I don't particularly like the 'color cast' that changes a little as I move my eye around when looking through them. I wear glasses so I don't have a problem with my nose getting in the way. I also think the zoom's might be a bit fiddly when adjusting both zooms to the exact same setting and in Aus, they're not cheap - I would want a good look through them before shelling out $$$.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Mamba (David)

Don,
Thanks for your reply Don, I do have quite widely spaced eyes so hopefully there will be room for the snout, the only trouble is the view of my ears keep intruding.
John,
I agree with you on the fiddle factor, particularly when using the wing type eyecups. I am in the U.K. at present visiting my elderly father and I have made arrangements to visit Lee at Green Witch to get a hands-on feel for the eyepieces before I buy. Regarding the price objection I intend buying them from Green Witch VAT free which means a pair of Mk IVs will cost Aus$550 plus postage (about $20/25) against Mk IIIs at $840 from OzScopes.
If I buy and I problem will I will post a review at a later date.
Mamba

Last edited by Mamba; 05-05-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-05-2017, 07:19 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

From what I read the Mark IV is narrower than the Mark III and earlier versions. I believe this change was specifically targeted at the binoviewer market.

I am not a binoviewer user so I can't help with personal experience, but this is what I have read.