Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Mark Gaffney (Mark)

Lagoon nebula

I`m using an interim solution in the way of an old NexStar 4SE Alt/Azm mount whilst I save to get my CGEM Hypertuned (it`s now in Arizona & will be it`s way home to Australia here when this can be afforded..)

Here`s a recent attempt at the Eta Carinae nebula shot recently with only 10 x 10 seconds (lights) ISO 3200 Skywatcher ED80, Nikon D5000 which appears to be about the best the mount can do without streaking stars..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_gaffney/5485620555/

ImagesPlus is used for processing along with Photoshop CS3 Extended.

My attempt at the Lagoon nebula last night was less successful..for starters focusing was done on Canopus in the SW & this appears to have shifted somewhat once the mount had slewed to the east..
This is 27 x 10 seconds lights ISO 3200 same scope & camera combination as above..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_ga...n/photostream/

I understood the Lagoon was one of the brighter southern objects but my shots even with this many exposures combined etc., DDP & some Photoshopping are showing no nebulosity.. maybe I need longer exposures which are beyond me at present..My CG-5 AS-GT & therefore C9.25 are out of commission..

A Google search for bright southern sky objects is turning up this site which I`ll scout through..
http://home.mira.net/~reynella/skywatch/ssky.htm

I have various planetarium Apps including The Sky X SAE..

Over a week of rain on our doorstep as soon as Summer has finished has been frustrating..

Mark.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

I would suggest you possibly weren't on target.

Try exposing for 30-60 seconds to see if it is in frame (yes you will get star trails) once you have it in centre of frame, then drop down to 10-20 sec subs.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Mark Gaffney (Mark)

Will give that a try. I`ve had some troubles with alignments using this mount before which I thought were because of incorrect identification of Miaplacidus for instance. If I can see Antares as well as Arcturus next time that might be better perhaps as both these stars are closer to the target..There`s only a basic 2 star alignment with the mount..
Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Even though they say 2 star alignment, usually (with Meade anyway) as you find and centre other stars, you can tell it to "sync" on the new star and it adds it to its pointing model, enhancing accuracy.