Old 31-08-2010, 12:47 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Astronomik clip filter

Hi
Has anyone had experience with the Astronomik CLS clip on light pollution filter for Canon EOS?
Cheers Peter
Old 31-08-2010, 01:53 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Hi Peter,

in the beginners Astrophotography section are a few recent articles about the filter. I have one but didnīt manage to get suitable images so far with it. Part of the problem is postprocessing and apparently the right exposure time relative to the apperture of the imaging scope. But Rowland has had some success with it. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=65256
Old 31-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I had one for some time. I found the best way to correct the blue hue it gives to images is to plug an ef lens into the canon with the clip filter in place and shoot some full sun daylight shots of a photographic gray card, white paper would do in a pinch, and set that as the custom white balance in the camera.
Old 31-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Chancellor (Jeff)

Thanks for the suggestion Tandum. I picked one of these up over the weekend though won't be able to play with it for a few more days.
Old 31-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Tandum (Robin)

You'll need an EF lens Jeff, the EFS lenses extend too far into the camera body and hit the filter before engaging.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Chancellor (Jeff)

Thanks Robin. For now I have the 50mm EF lens and will be playing with prime focus until I can get another lens or four.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:53 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Mine is the CLS-CCD filter, which is different to the CLS filter. It's a more recent addition to the Astronomik line, with different properties.

No problem getting rid of the blue and restoring colour. Pixinsight takes care of the background and colour calibration. Not sure about the CLS.

If someone has a raw file, I'd be interested to have a look with PI - just for fun.

Punched stars was an issue. Marc pointed out that the ED80 optics are the reason. Subsequently, I found that 3 minutes is OK without the filter, but more than 5 is necessary with the filter to avoid this issue.

Cheers,

Rowland.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

I have one of these filters as well. I use one of my flats as a custom white balance and it works a treat. I bought a light box of one of the guys here, check out the icetrades he sells them there. Great for flats as as well as colour balance. You still have to do some tweaking but it's much much better.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Rowland
Would the Astronomik CLS-CCD clip filter would be preferable for use with a Canon 400D camera?
Also could you advise a good place to purchase it - I live in Sydney.
Cheers Peter
Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

OK - This is a lenghty reply, and keeping in mind that I am new to this also, the selection of a filter depends on your needs.

I wanted a filter that could be used in suburban areas and would produce very good results with an unmodified camera - the CLS-CCD is also very good with modded cameras, according to Astronomik.

I bought the CLS-CCD filter based on the data provided on the Astronomik web-site. Astronomik are quite frank and open about the suitability of their filters in different applications and provide graphical data for comparison, with sufficient technical explanation to assist in decision making.

It was a bit of a gamble, I suppose, but I couldn't find any negative comments on the web - then again the filter is a new addition.

The CLS-CCD is not one of the very high end filters, but is considered very good for DSLR work, according to some users. Astronomik filters will also stand a fair bit of abuse. They are very hard and cleaning doesn't wear them out.

Check here for compatibility with your camera, and more technical data.

BINTEL sell them on-line.

In the end - what do you want to do with the filter? I bought mine for colour shots in suburban areas, to increase contrast, and hopefully get more signal and less light pollution per exposure. So far my observations are positive - it's doing what I want it to do.

This image has seen some mileage on the forums, but that's what I've been able to do so far. Far from perfect I'm sure, but just to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (integration4.jpg)
179.8 KB47 views
Old 04-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Cloudyagain (Neale)

I also have the CLS CCD filter but I went for the 2" version as I thought it might be more useful in the future if I ever get a dedicated CCD camera. I started out holding it in front of a lens and taking a picture of a grey card and using that as the custom white balance. Was not completly happy. I then measured the RGand B channels of the RAW grey card image (through the filter) in Imagesplus and found I had to multiply the R by .59 and the B by .57 to bring it back to grey. I now do the same with my images and I think it is a little better but more tweaking is still required. My DSLR is a modded one. Result attached, also not perfect I know.

Neale
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eta small.jpg)
137.6 KB30 views
Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Thanks Rowland and Neale for you informative replies. I have just looked up the Astronomik CLS CCD filter on the Bintel site and I will go ahead with the purchase. Cheers Peter