Old 29-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Microline MLx814

I have noticed that FLI now offers their implementation of ICX814 with read noise of only 2e...

http://www.flicamera.com/spec_sheets/MLx814.pdf
Old 30-10-2015, 01:21 PM
gregbradley

That's why you get a FLI and pay extra Slawomir. Their basic electronics/cooling package is top class.

The only improvement I can see FLI needing is better integration with astro imaging in the sense of a built in filter wheel and OAG like QSI and an AO option like SBIG's.

Its a shame SBIG does not make their AO units stand alone as they would sell a lot more. No doubt they prefer to use it to help sell more cameras. I wonder if that gets them ahead not doing that.

I think the money is in other markets like industrial imaging so astronomy is the poor cousin.

I think overall you are better off with the QSI as guiding and cost of filters, having stand alone items that can cause difficulties tip the balance. The integrated OAG on the QSI seems to also offer no flex guiding better than a separate add on OAG from what I have seen.
Stars are round even from those using cheaper mounts which is a testament to the quality of the guiding.

Greg.
Old 30-10-2015, 02:05 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
That's why you get a FLI and pay extra Slawomir. Their basic electronics/cooling package is top class.
I ran measurements on a pair of FLI PL16803 cameras when were deciding on the equipment to use at SRO and both had really excellent read noise stats.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 30-10-2015, 04:24 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I ran measurements on a pair of FLI PL16803 cameras when were deciding on the equipment to use at SRO and both had really excellent read noise stats.

Cheers,
Rick.
How do you measure read noise Rick?

Cheers
Alistair
Old 30-10-2015, 06:04 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
How do you measure read noise Rick?
Hi Al,

If you take two bias frames and subtract one from the other, all that is left is the read noise from the two frames which is SQRT(2) of the noise from a single frame. Take a representative area from the centre of the resulting image and measure the standard deviation. The read noise in e- is:

gain*stdev/SQRT(2).

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 30-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I think overall you are better off with the QSI as guiding and cost of filters, having stand alone items that can cause difficulties tip the balance. The integrated OAG on the QSI seems to also offer no flex guiding better than a separate add on OAG from what I have seen.
Stars are round even from those using cheaper mounts which is a testament to the quality of the guiding.

Greg.
Could not agree more with you Greg. Having an all-in-one solution solves a few potential issues and simplifies the set-up. I have learnt my lesson by going through 3 different filter wheels and also 3 different OAGs, although I must admit that SX's mini filter wheel with integrated OAG is also a very neat and reliable solution for small CCDs.
Funny enough, AZEQ6 is my 3rd mount too, so it looks like my next mount will be a keeper!