Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 PM
bokglob (Darrell)
ph0t0n3la5t3r

Question canon dslr

hi all.i have preordered a canon 500d in preference to purshasing a 450d imediatly (at a hard to go past pricetag) because from what i can gather by the 500's specs, the coupleahundred $ price difference between the two models,and the wait are minor inconviences for what seems to be a fine camera for the money.is this in your learned opinions a reasonable assumption,or should i be taking advantage of the sale price of the 450?
Old 14-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Darrell,

If you can afford the extra dollars, then go with the 500D.

Technology improves drastically over time, and, you'll find that the 500D will perform exceptionally well at higher ISOs than the earlier models.

For instance, with my 5D Mark II, I am able to image at ISO-6400 without a problem, especially when converting to black and white. The very little noise leaves a subtle grain-like quality to the image. I look forward to trying the 5D Mark II out for astrophotography. Whereas in the past, on my 350D I would use ISO-400 as the maximum, ISO-1600 seems to be a new benchmark on the 5D Mark II.

You won't be disappointed either way you go.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 14-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Prickly

Hi Darrell,

I dont think you will be losing out on the 500D. Looks like it would make a terrific camera with the HD video too. Agree with all Humayun has said. Look forward to seeing some test shots when it arrives.

Humayun, do you have any examples of your shots with the Canon 5DMkII? Id be keen to have a look at these shots at iso 6400. We must catch up some time when Michael returns from Japan. (He sent me a photo today of what looked like the vixen factory!). Be keen to give it a run some time on the vixen 140 neoachromat (flat across a 35mm frame).

Incidentally Michael (Tilt) just bought a new 50D which is a simply superb bit of kit (as is likely the 500D too).

Cheers
David
Old 14-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

David,

I've been posting regularly in the terrestrial photography forum here, for examples of 5D Mark II goodness; have a look at my most recent few posts there.

Also: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=40568

I'll send you some ISO-6400 shots as soon as I get the chance.

Regards,
Humayun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly View Post
Hi Darrell,

I dont think you will be losing out on the 500D. Looks like it would make a terrific camera with the HD video too. Agree with all Humayun has said. Look forward to seeing some test shots when it arrives.

Humayun, do you have any examples of your shots with the Canon 5DMkII? Id be keen to have a look at these shots at iso 6400. We must catch up some time when Michael returns from Japan. (He sent me a photo today of what looked like the vixen factory!). Be keen to give it a run some time on the vixen 140 neoachromat (flat across a 35mm frame).

Incidentally Michael (Tilt) just bought a new 50D which is a simply superb bit of kit (as is likely the 500D too).

Cheers
David
Old 15-04-2009, 07:13 PM
bokglob (Darrell)
ph0t0n3la5t3r

thanks humayun,thanks dave, advice from enthusiates beats the hardsell of salesmen anyday!cheers and clear skies darrell