Old 29-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

OSC CCD camera choice

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from DSLR to cooled OSC CCD. Just wondering if there's any in particular with a good reputation that would fit my needs. Will be imaging with an 8" f5 newtonian for now and I'd say the next scope will be something like an RCA astrograph. I want something that won't need to be upgraded anytime soon but also not interested in getting the really top end stuff. Price range I'm hoping for is $1000-$1500 but could probably go a bit higher if it was really worth it for quality. Price range doesn't have to fit with new stuff as I don't mind waiting for the right second hand item.

Tim
Old 29-07-2016, 05:51 PM
gregbradley

I'd be tempted to go the ASI1600 colour. Its around $1000 or so and Ray's recent image with the mono version shows it has massive potential. 16mp for micro 4/3rds size sensor is high resolution as well.

Greg.
Old 29-07-2016, 10:18 PM
glend (Glen)

At the current price the ASI1600MC-Cool is hard to beat, and within your budget. Older types like anything with KAF8300 chip will cost you near $3000 if you buy it new. There is plenty of info around on the ASI1600s now and images up on Astrobin.
Old 30-07-2016, 07:25 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

These new ASI1600s are probably going to cause the second hand market to have a downward adjustment in prices, especially for the KAF8300 based systems (or older/lesser-spec types of CCDs). Why buy one of those if you can get something new for the same price that's as good as, or better, and faster to use? Some caveats apply, but at this particular end of the market, the pressure on 2nd hand prices will be real.
Old 30-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Crushellon (Tim)

Cool thanks guys, looks like the asi1600 is a good option. I did see them but I was a bit concerned that in the description for it, it says that it is best for short/medium focal lengths and I'm at 1000mm fl now and with an rc scope I'll probably be going upward of 1500mm.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:51 PM
gregbradley

You can always bin small pixelled cameras 2x2 on long focal length scopes with little loss in resolution.

Greg.