Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Imme (Jon)

My Eagle

Here's my version of the eagle from some data in July.
Really struggled processing. No matter what I do it seems the black jumps out around the edges of the pic.....I guess it frames the centre well however it still is very black and I cant seem to lighten without blowing the centre out.

Oh well, is what it is.

This is my longest integration to date, about 6.5 hours.....but to be honest I didn't grab the extra detail I thought I would with the extra time I put in getting data, not sure what I was expecting but I just thought it would be more than this. Guess it all comes with learning the ropes hey. Happy with it though.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M16 July 2018.jpg)
213.7 KB70 views
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Could the black around the edges be vignetting?
What are you using to obtain the image? Telescope? Lens? imaging train?

I really like it as is to tell the truth
Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Could the black around the edges be vignetting?
What are you using to obtain the image? Telescope? Lens? imaging train?

I really like it as is to tell the truth
It was a fair crop Nik, prob 50%.....and I don't really see bad vignetting in other pics. I did also use 30 odd flats
Taken through a WO FLT132.
I pushed subs out to 5 min for the first time with the OSC which may be the issue.....collected too much data in the centre bright area so during processing to tame that I had to pull back the outside turning it black.....not sure. All in the learning curve I guess.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

That's a great M16 Jon. Lots of detail in the star queen.

The image is a little black clipped in the dark areas though. As for vignetting, there are a number of ways to flatten out the field depending on software. Photoshop has gradient Xterminator and a vignetting tool. Other software may have similar. I don't know what software you use.

Other than those points, keep on doing what you're doing as I think the colour and contrast are excellent.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Imme (Jon)

What's your thoughts on my 'too long exposures' theory?
I can lighten the outside areas but it does blow out the centre a bit.....i kinda like the darker centre so left it like it is.
I might try and do a processing run using 2 layers, one for the centre and one for the outside and see how that goes.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:26 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I think your center is perfect. It's the darker areas that need work. So yes, layer it, mask it, whatever it takes.

Possibly the hardest part of astro processing is bringing out faint detail in the shadows without burning out light areas. Astro images have a very wide range of tones and it can be a challenge to master.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Another awesome pic from you Imme. Like the range of colours across the Nebula and the detail in those pillars are commendable. There is a dark saturation scale that you can reduce to say 3 in startools or just try reducing the contrast a bit in photoshop perhaps, but all up you must be impressed with this effort. I can’t comment with sub lengths as I only ever used up to 45seconds as my max exposure. You could try taking some shorter length subs and process seperately and then use a mask/30-40%opacity. This may help sharpen the middle areas but hey anyone would be glad to have taken such an image. Well done mate.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:21 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Another awesome pic from you Imme. Like the range of colours across the Nebula and the detail in those pillars are commendable. There is a dark saturation scale that you can reduce to say 3 in startools or just try reducing the contrast a bit in photoshop perhaps, but all up you must be impressed with this effort. I can’t comment with sub lengths as I only ever used up to 45seconds as my max exposure. You could try taking some shorter length subs and process seperately and then use a mask/30-40%opacity. This may help sharpen the middle areas but hey anyone would be glad to have taken such an image. Well done mate.
Thanks Anth......Im really feeling good with how I've set this new scope up. Feel I've got it going now and time ford producing some images rather than testing all the time!
The subs in this one were 5 minutes, the lagoon i did was 3 minutes. I get the feeling 3-4 minutes is my sweet shout with my setup and skies.

Ps....f we strap a guidescope on your rig im sure we can beat that 45s sub length.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:10 AM
netwolf

excellent what's ur equipment
Old 12-08-2018, 01:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Fantasic I love it.
Alex
Old 12-08-2018, 08:06 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Wow.....
Love the detail of the pillars.
Colours are good and the black edges do frame the eagle so its not really a big problem in my opinion.
It wasnt that long ago you could only get images like this from high end observatories.
With images like this coming out of back yards the future for Hubble is limited.
Technology like adaptive optics will become cheaper and into the back yards so look out NASA and ESA.
Cheere
Andy
Old 12-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
excellent what's ur equipment
I’m running a WO FLT-132, ASI1600 cooled color camera! ZWO guidescope with ASI120 and an EQ6.

It has been ‘purring’ lately.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
Wow.....
Love the detail of the pillars.
Colours are good and the black edges do frame the eagle so its not really a big problem in my opinion.
It wasnt that long ago you could only get images like this from high end observatories.
With images like this coming out of back yards the future for Hubble is limited.
Technology like adaptive optics will become cheaper and into the back yards so look out NASA and ESA.
Cheere
Andy
It is amazing what we can do in our backyards when you think about it isn’t it