Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 02-12-2019, 09:58 PM
miki63au

RGB alignment not rotate in PS

Hello everyone,

Not sure what am I'm doing wrong in PS. I have the RGB ready to combine,
but once combined the alignment 'arrow' will move each channels but not turn to 'rotate' in the corners. Most of the channels taken different days and the camera do move a bit... so need a bit of rotation around a pivot point to align with the stars in each channels. Did this before... just my chicken brain forgot how I did it.

Thanks for any help.

Mick
Old 03-12-2019, 02:03 PM
glend (Glen)

While it is possible to do in Photoshop, I have always used DSS as it is so easy and gives perfect registration. Once you have each of your filter subs registered in DSS, you simply create a Group of your three final filter images and register those together. This will align them, and produce three registered files and you don't need to save a composite, just take the registered files into Photoshop. You need to tick the box in the DSS file tab to save the reg files to your directory, but it is an easy automatic way to do it.
When you open the files in Photoshop, make sure you pick the registered ones, and you will see they are perfectly aligned (including rotation). Have fun.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM
miki63au

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
While it is possible to do in Photoshop, I have always used DSS as it is so easy and gives perfect registration. Once you have each of your filter subs registered in DSS, you simply create a Group of your three final filter images and register those together. This will align them, and produce three registered files and you don't need to save a composite, just take the registered files into Photoshop. You need to tick the box in the DSS file tab to save the reg files to your directory, but it is an easy automatic way to do it.
When you open the files in Photoshop, make sure you pick the registered ones, and you will see they are perfectly aligned (including rotation). Have fun.

Thanks Glen, I'll try
Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 PM
glend (Glen)

I have tried to find an online tutorials example of how to use DSS for this group stacking if different filter files, and this one seems pretty close to how I do it:

https://youtu.be/eqf8ZmAd2Mk

Now the guy is not great at explaining things, but have a look at the video about 2:30 in where he talks about ticking the box in the Intermeadiate File tab, this is important as it is the part where you create and save a registered file for each of the ones your grouping.

At the end of the process you pick up the files with the reg extension to take to Photoshop.
It is much quicker to do this than actually explain it.
There used to be a couple of threads on Cloudy Nights which explain it well.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:32 PM
miki63au

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I have tried to find an online tutorials example of how to use DSS for this group stacking if different filter files, and this one seems pretty close to how I do it:

https://youtu.be/eqf8ZmAd2Mk

Now the guy is not great at explaining things, but have a look at the video about 2:30 in where he talks about ticking the box in the Intermeadiate File tab, this is important as it is the part where you create and save a registered file for each of the ones your grouping.

At the end of the process you pick up the files with the reg extension to take to Photoshop.
It is much quicker to do this than actually explain it.
There used to be a couple of threads on Cloudy Nights which explain it well.

Cheers Glen,

before I saw this I read a similar suggestion, but end up with less process... me think. Just load all light subs and register them. Select the best and make it a reference. Then click only the desired channel only... DSS will reference the RGB and other band lights to that. Shift and rotate... save it to tiff and take it to PS... first test promising
So much to learn, so little time

Thanks for helping.
Mick