Old 03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Craig_L
Craig

Autoguiding a Meade LX55 mount - anyone?

I've had several goes at autoguiding a meade LX55 mount (now with a Tak Sky90 onboard instead of a SN10 which was too heavy) but have had no success with Guideog, PHD etc. I've done a search of the net and there's not much info to help. Has anyone been successfull at autoguiding the LX55? Is this mission impossible?

I would like to get a new mount but can't afford it at the moment without selling the car.

Craig
Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_L View Post
I've had several goes at autoguiding a meade LX55 mount (now with a Tak Sky90 onboard instead of a SN10 which was too heavy) but have had no success with Guideog, PHD etc. I've done a search of the net and there's not much info to help. Has anyone been successfull at autoguiding the LX55? Is this mission impossible?

I would like to get a new mount but can't afford it at the moment without selling the car.

Craig
Hi Craig,
Another Adelaide astronomer!
I've been autoguiding with PHD/Toucam/80mm refractor and a similar EQ5-type mount (Skywatcher Synscan) for a few months now. I use a Shoestring USB interface to link from the PC laptop to the autoguider port on the mount.
How are you connecting?
Cheers
Doug
Old 03-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Gama

Did you install the latest ASCOM drivers ?.
PHD will recognise the drivers. Select your mount from the list.

Theo.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Craig_L
Craig

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a great admirer of your astro images and processing expertise - and very jealous of your location. Somerton Park is rather a trial with city lights and polution. I might try Stockport on Saturday night even if I'm stuck with 30 second exposures!

I don't know which USB interface I have but know its not Shoestring but Star Atlas Pro can drive the mount fine, so I assume this is not the problem unless the Guiding software is more demanding of the interface.

Bill in the Deep Space thread (M42) has given me some advice - he has a LXD75 mount. I will have a fiddle tonight.

I was looking at your mount - the HEQ5 Skyscan and the EQ6. Maybe I should bite the bullet and sell the car!

Craig
Old 04-01-2008, 06:07 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Good luck mate!
Thanks for the kind words too.
I went for my EQ5 mount as I thought I would be using GoTo to locate all these wierd and wonderful DSO's and that the weight of the ED80 wouldn't tax it. If I had to do it again on a budget - HEQ5 as a minimum +/- GoTo!!
All the best
Doug
Old 05-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Craig_L
Craig

Hey Theo,

Thanks. I have the latest ASCOM update and there are three Meade drivers. I have tried another driver and now seem to have the mount tracking with Guidedog. So waiting for clear skies and more experimentation.

Craig