Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 12-02-2019, 06:43 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Thanks to Steve and Rowland for having the time to go through my data and give me so much info to work with.
Im really at the bottom of my learning curve im so grateful there's so much advice on how to advance.
You both have written epic posts and emails that im still reading over again to get my head aroud it.
Been flat out lately to even think about anything astro but as soon as I've got time I'll go back through my data and try some of the techniques you have pointed out.
I hope you had the same help when you were starting out from IIS. Theres a lot of of good people here that are willing to share all the hard work they have done nutting out these programs and communicating in a layman's way.
Its probably not that long ago you needed to be pretty advanced in maths to work out how to manipulate pixels in images.
We are spoiled a bit now with programs that take care of that in the background but saying that it would be good to learn how and what is going on and it sounds like PI is the one to use.
I just have to learn the why first before I rip my images apart and put them back together using mathematics.
Cheers
Andy
Old 14-02-2019, 08:19 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I'm happy to help if you have further questions being able to help others learn from my mistakes. Took me a long time to get to where I'm at and yes I still try doing more and improving my skills. DSLR is not ideal and not what I want to be using but its where i'm stuck so I can only look for ways to improve using that setup.

We have so many options now for astrophotography its so much easier for everyone at all levels with any gear to get a foothold. I think the most important thing is to figure out a simple process you can repeat any time that will get you "a picture" at the end. Everything else is refinement. Grab every program you can that has trial versions and see how you go at getting a picture with them. This'll help you decide which program meets your needs as well as works with how you want to work. As I've said your original image and my final one are not really miles apart but there's some room for movement in your data and I didnt use my typical workflow just some simplification of it so my best effort I know wouldnt be too much better, mostly confined to reducing noise and less ringing around stars (the bane of many processing steps).

It's encouraging you havent been scared away, your only limit is really your own willpower. If you do go with PI there is a good book by Warren I think which is much like a user friendly manual as PI's docs are often poor help. Also the Light Vortex tutorials are essential to go through.

steve