Old 21-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It looks like my DDM60 could fit inside the RA axis
Old 21-12-2018, 10:12 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Well, it's certainly a little frustrating without the missing bits, I can't really do much. OPT has filed a lost package claim so I will have to be patient now ...but hey, in the meantime I have been getting to know her better . I think this photo of us embracing conveys the scale and size of this beautiful beast of a mount. For comparison, I am 184cm tall and weigh 135kg...can certainly understand how it can handle a 20" RC!

Mike
That sure is one BIG MoFo!

Big mount too...

Old 21-12-2018, 10:22 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

She's a big bustardo huh guys? (the mount not me )

Holding this baby is like a dream come true, I never thought I'd ever have one ... I now believe in God ......ok, well, maybe not but this must be close to how people feel who do I recon

Mike
Old 21-12-2018, 10:52 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Sheesh Mike, don't drop it - it'll crash through the floorboards onto the neighbours head 5 floors below.
Old 22-12-2018, 12:14 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Sheesh Mike, don't drop it - it'll crash through the floorboards onto the neighbours head 5 floors below.
Don't worry I was on a similar line of thinking, not that the mount would get through the concrete slab but that I would take a big chunk out of my wifes new floorboards!

MIke
Old 11-01-2019, 06:33 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Sadly there is no sign of the missing box with UPS

After me working it out and proposing it as a possible scenario, OPT have discovered that yes, they left the dec top plate out when repacking my shipment to include the extra bits I had ordered - DOH! The counterweight shaft is still in the UPS ether and Astrophysics currently have no 22" shafts in stock, so it will be a few more weeks while they make me one - double DOH!

So, it will sadly be more waiting and mild torture, staring, everyday, at this beautiful white creature, resting idly on a table... sigh....ho hum...

So I have decided I am going to use the time to disassemble my whole rig and pull my NJP apart and re-grease her and wash my AG12 mirrors....

It has been rather frustrating and annoying of course but I have to say, although OPT contributed to part of the problem, they have been in regular contact and are doing everything possible to rectify it and I have total faith that this will end well....just have to be patient.

Mike
Old 11-01-2019, 07:15 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It is certainly inconvenient what’s happened but everyone makes mistakes. It’s not so much this mistakes that matter but how they’re dealt with and it seems like they’re being dealt with well
Old 11-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Mike for the update - I was wondering how things have been developing for you. Shame about the delay - the Universe is testing your patience for sure! It's a great idea to focus on the existing rig while waiting for the last bits
Old 11-01-2019, 10:04 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It is certainly inconvenient what’s happened but everyone makes mistakes. It’s not so much this mistakes that matter but how they’re dealt with and it seems like they’re being dealt with well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Thank you Mike for the update - I was wondering how things have been developing for you. Shame about the delay - the Universe is testing your patience for sure! It's a great idea to focus on the existing rig while waiting for the last bits
I tell's ya guys...t'is pretty amazing having an AP1600GTO just sitting there looking magnificent, getting the occasional turn of an axis or gentle pat or hug as I walk past ...the novelty is slowly wearing off though

Mike
Old 11-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Marke (Mark)

Thats a pain to find out they forgot to pack a part thankfully tho you are dealing with 2 good companies and really AP service is second to none .
Old 11-01-2019, 07:52 PM
John K

"So I have decided I am going to use the time to disassemble my whole rig and pull my NJP apart and re-grease her and wash my AG12 mirrors...."

G'day Mike - Congrats on the new rig!!

Nothing like spare time to do chores whilst your dream about using the new gear. Frustrating I know, but look at the bright side. Your AG scope and NJP mount will be much happier with you!

Look forward to more updates and pics.

Clear skies.

John K.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:01 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I tell's ya guys...t'is pretty amazing having an AP1600GTO just sitting there looking magnificent, getting the occasional turn of an axis or gentle pat or hug as I walk past ...the novelty is slowly wearing off though

Mike
I remember the feeling of upgrading from the EQ6 to DDM60 and just seeing the improvement in subs quality right off the bat.
It’ll be less extreme for you considering how well your NJP currently performs though. Still nice to see such a beast around the house but it’ll look even better installed in an Observatory
Old 14-01-2019, 04:40 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
Thats a pain to find out they forgot to pack a part thankfully tho you are dealing with 2 good companies and really AP service is second to none .
Agreed Mark, they have been on my case so it will happen, I have faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
"So I have decided I am going to use the time to disassemble my whole rig and pull my NJP apart and re-grease her and wash my AG12 mirrors...."

G'day Mike - Congrats on the new rig!!

Nothing like spare time to do chores whilst your dream about using the new gear. Frustrating I know, but look at the bright side. Your AG scope and NJP mount will be much happier with you!

Look forward to more updates and pics.

Clear skies.

John K.
Yeah, I'm being a bit lazy John, trying to prod my self into getting out there and pulling everything apart...It'll be a bit of a big job, especially in this hot weather.. and then carting everything home in the car and storing and working on everything in an apartment will be a bit tight... Once I start I am sure it will progress steadily, going to send the Proline back for a good clean, re-gas and service too, may as well, then it will be like new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I remember the feeling of upgrading from the EQ6 to DDM60 and just seeing the improvement in subs quality right off the bat.
It’ll be less extreme for you considering how well your NJP currently performs though. Still nice to see such a beast around the house but it’ll look even better installed in an Observatory
Cheers Col, yeah I can't imagine the guiding accuracy will be any better but who knows..? Be good if it was

Mike
Old 24-01-2019, 10:34 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Went out to the observatory today, only 32degC today so thought I'd better get the big job done, that I have been putting off in all this heat over the last few weeks, and out of the way, before the expected 38 - 40C tomorrow and Sat then rain on Sun and Mon of the long weekend...

Was a big bloody job dismantling everything and packing most of it in the car and then unloading it all in 5 trips from the basement carpark into our apartment..phew! I unbolted but left the steel pier and counterweights out at the observatory and I will pick'em up when I take it to the machine shop for some work to adapt the AP pier adapter to it, drill out the gym weight plates and modify the scope rings....with sweat pissing off me after the dismantling job (by myself) inside the hot observatory, just lifting the steel pier off the long (7" high) bolts was difficult, kept slipping but I channelled a bit of my old self and got it done grrrr! Our spare room is full of an observatory now

Seeing the NJP mount side by side with the AP1600 was a revelation, the NJP is a solid and not small, accurate piece of kit but sheesh!..that AP1600 looks like a monster, a refined modern digital monster...but a monster

I received the 1600 dec top plate from OPT (that they had misplaced during packing) but I have to wait for AP to do their next run of 22" counterweight shafts so in the meantime I will get everything modified and drilled, milled and mated together and after nearly 9 years of flawless service I am sending off the FLI ProLine for a clean room service, checkup and regas

I am missing imaging...this is the longest I have gone without taking an image (over 3 months and counting so far) in my 16 years of CCD imaging ....

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Observatory on a table.jpg)
81.4 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (TAK NJP vs AP1600GTO.jpg)
187.7 KB61 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 24-01-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 26-01-2019, 03:25 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Glad to hear you got the plate Mike - only one last bit remains...

I must admit I habitually skipped the part of your post about your suffering , but the photo showing both mounts is great - NJP looks like a toy in comparison to the 1600!

Sorry about the break in imaging Mike. I also await the end of wet season, so in the meantime I am taking my tinnie out as often as I can...

Thank you for keeping us posted
Old 27-01-2019, 04:05 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Glad to hear you got the plate Mike - only one last bit remains...

I must admit I habitually skipped the part of your post about your suffering , but the photo showing both mounts is great - NJP looks like a toy in comparison to the 1600!

Sorry about the break in imaging Mike. I also await the end of wet season, so in the meantime I am taking my tinnie out as often as I can...

Thank you for keeping us posted
Yeah, I am being surprisingly patient, I must say...my wife is quite amazed that I haven't gone completely batty...and so am I ...fishing huh?...now that'd keep a deprived imager nicely occupied

Mike
Old 27-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Big Mike,
I’ve got a spare (short) 1600GTO CW shaft and weights that you can borrow until the goods arrive, if needed. Definitely enough for some FSQ action...
Old 27-01-2019, 05:42 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Big Mike,
I’ve got a spare (short) 1600GTO CW shaft and weights that you can borrow until the goods arrive, if needed. Definitely enough for some FSQ action...
Thanks Logan, I have PM'd you

Mike
Old 13-02-2019, 09:28 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Still no counterweight shaft... grrrrrrr ...the sight of this baby sitting on the bench in our spare room is starting to be not funny JAN!!

...just venting