Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 22-01-2018, 08:50 PM
andyc (Andy)

2018... it begins

A slightly mad effort to get up at dawn before work to try and image Mars and Jupiter, and for the first time with the C14 and 290MM.

Little Mars was OK, still tiny and round the far side of the Sun, only 5" wide. Jupiter was not so great, blurrier than I'd like.

There were issues with a few things - lazy collimation, bad dew control so the corrector plate fogged up and ruined Mars' blue channel (could only get 2A through the controller rather than the required 4A), the USB3 connection to camera didn't work so it was only USB2, and focus was probably off. Still a lot to tune up to get the best out of the set-up for this upcoming amazing planetary winter. Definitely hopeful for much higher resolution on Jupiter.

Has anyone else had issues getting a 290MM to talk through USB3? I have no such trouble with the 185MC, and it halved the framerate, only using USB2.

Look how much bigger Mars is going to get by late July
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2018-01-18-mars-ps1a.png)
50.2 KB106 views
Click for full-size image (2018-01-17-1818_4-casely-alpo.jpg)
121.8 KB84 views
Old 24-01-2018, 11:58 AM
blinky (Leigh)

Good onya Andy. Look forward to seeing what you can produce when you iron out the bugs in your setup.
Last night I dreamt of unusually good images of mars this year! ps. what mount are you using for the c14?
Old 24-01-2018, 05:41 PM
andyc (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Good onya Andy. Look forward to seeing what you can produce when you iron out the bugs in your setup.
Last night I dreamt of unusually good images of mars this year! ps. what mount are you using for the c14?
Hi Leigh, thanks! It's a CGX-L, and has been pretty rock solid so far, only had the set-up since Nov. I'm also looking forward to the kinds of Mars images we'll see here (hi John Hothersall, move over, HiRise) and elsewhere, there should be some crackers. Solved the USB connection issue yesterday - just a bad cable, the cable I have with my 185 works a treat. Only 3 issues plus seeing to go
Old 24-01-2018, 09:04 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
A slightly mad effort to get up at dawn before work to try and image Mars and Jupiter, and for the first time with the C14 and 290MM.

Little Mars was OK, still tiny and round the far side of the Sun, only 5" wide. Jupiter was not so great, blurrier than I'd like.

There were issues with a few things - lazy collimation, bad dew control so the corrector plate fogged up and ruined Mars' blue channel (could only get 2A through the controller rather than the required 4A), the USB3 connection to camera didn't work so it was only USB2, and focus was probably off. Still a lot to tune up to get the best out of the set-up for this upcoming amazing planetary winter. Definitely hopeful for much higher resolution on Jupiter.

Has anyone else had issues getting a 290MM to talk through USB3? I have no such trouble with the 185MC, and it halved the framerate, only using USB2.

Look how much bigger Mars is going to get by late July
For sure you'll do better, and you had a lot of issues there..iron them out, and show us the results...sounds good that setup of yours...like how you showed us the channels.

Huge c14 ..look forward to some more images from that beast, near or come opposition time...what a year this will be for conjunctions of celestial objects aplenty.

bigjoe.
Old 24-01-2018, 09:23 PM
beren

Nice work getting pretty excited for Mars this year too
Old 26-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Troy

Good images