Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Terrestrial Photography

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:44 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

The last two attempts on the theme of "Hello darkness my old friend".. were pretty much what you might expect on an astronomy forum - variations on the night sky.

I wasn't sure which of the three to pick so I left the decision up to my wife.

She felt that the one I entered had a relaxed and cheerful feel to it, and was a bit closer to the "friendly dark" theme. And you don't argue with the invited judge, especially when she's such a good wife...

So here's the runner up. The clouds on the right were rolling in fast and a few minutes later the stars were all blanketed out..
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HelloNightSky01.jpg)
152.3 KB22 views
Old 09-07-2017, 04:28 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Worth the drive I'd say, Tim. Neon sign and all!

Al.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Tim's shot of the neon God is fantastic! I was thinking to myself, oooh now how would one find find/relate a pic to that and he did it , definitely worth the drive .

Al, I love your idea with the cobblestones, street light etc, you had me casting visions in my head and very kind of you to let others nick the idea.

Chris,
Quote:
She felt that the one I entered had a relaxed and cheerful feel to it, and was a bit closer to the "friendly dark" theme. And you don't argue with the invited judge, especially when she's such a good wife...
I thought your lock pic best related to "Darkness". That's a great shot and very creative I think.
I relate to "darkness" as gloom, deep in thought, mysterious, scary. More so, than the happy/feel good feeling with astronomy.
I love your selfie just above too with your open arms and the Milky Way.

------------------------------
I can't believe I missed a good opportunity a few days ago. Outside my house, I was standing in thick fog trying to take pics of the fog. Why or why didn't I think to do a selfie of me standing under the streetlight (right flippin' next to me) amongst all the fog . Camera was already on the tripod . Think Suzy...think next time grrr.

This is a really fun challenge, so many options, and thanks for getting the song stuck in my head every single day .
Old 10-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
.... and thanks for getting the song stuck in my head every single day .
Double Ditto to that !!!
Old 10-07-2017, 04:21 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Al, I love your idea with the cobblestones, street light etc, you had me casting visions in my head and very kind of you to let others nick the idea.
That's OK. The prize money is not worth the legal fees to dispute it anyway.
Quote:
This is a really fun challenge, so many options, and thanks for getting the song stuck in my head every single day .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Double Ditto to that !!!
Tell me about it...

Al.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:

I can't believe I missed a good opportunity a few days ago. Outside my house, I was standing in thick fog trying to take pics of the fog. Why or why didn't I think to do a selfie of me standing under the streetlight (right flippin' next to me) amongst all the fog . Camera was already on the tripod . Think Suzy...think next time grrr.

Ah, the perfect picture that got away... almost as legendary as the huge fish that got away.. I bet it would have been a ripper too.

How did you go with the shot of the fog? I imagine that it's not easy to capture the look and feel of fog. Did you get anything you were happy with?

Thanks for the kind comments on my shots. The lock pick one was my favourite of the three as well , perhaps because it was such a relief to finally get more or less what I was after and be able to stop the physical discomfort! I also liked the open arms one but it was a composite of two shots. Of course many astro shots are composites of dozens of shots but I'm a bit like Leon in that respect, I'll go for a single shot if I can manage it.

I agree that it's a fun challenge - having so many possibilities is really intriguing. I'm sure the song would be stuck in my head too... if only I could remember lyrics for more than a few seconds after reading them!
Old 11-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post

How did you go with the shot of the fog? I imagine that it's not easy to capture the look and feel of fog. Did you get anything you were happy with?
Hi Chris,
Would you believe hubby got the best shot of the fog low on the ground with his phone! By the time I went and grabbed camera & set up on tripod & mucked with the settings, the best of it was gone. But you could clearly see it at down the end of the street so my selfie next to the lamp post may have worked nicely in a long shot , would've been worth trying anyway . I did get a nice piccy of the Moon though with a Lunar Coronal display. I thought geee, why is the Moon so sharp and clear with all this fog around and then I got told that some of the best seeing can be through fog or light cloud as it acts a filter, who knew !
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Suzy

That split the night

Lunar Coronal Display, 7th July 2017.
Captured through heavy fog from Brisbane's southside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19748874_1518427678221954_1327221627995656530_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	215683
Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 PM
zenith (Tim)

This is turning out to be a great theme, I'm enjoying seeing the many and varied entries.

Does anyone else feel conspicuous when you do something like stand on the nature strip next to a busy road and take a picture of a Church at night, whilst dressed in black and wearing a beanie? I was sure I'd be telling my story to a police officer:
Me: "Well Sir, have you hear of ice in space?"
Police: "You are after ICE, you say?"
Me: "Ice in Space"
Police: "Spaced out, you say?"
Old 11-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Suzy

Old 11-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Hi Chris,
Would you believe hubby got the best shot of the fog low on the ground with his phone!
Yep! Annoying isn't it...

The fantastic thing about a phone camera is that you nearly always have it with you and can be taking shots in a few seconds. And the quality is really pretty good now. A picture I took during the mopping up phase of a local bushfire ended up on the front cover of the official report on the fire. And it was simply that I had it in my pocket, saw what I thought was an interesting composition, and - click! Back in the pocket without stopping work. (Of course the fact that they got the pic for free might have influenced the decision to use it too... )

Intriguing about the filtering effects of fog on the moon. I'd had a somewhat similar experience but didn't know that it was "a thing" that it can work like a filter.

Nice shot, and clever captioning with "That split the night" too.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith View Post
This is turning out to be a great theme, I'm enjoying seeing the many and varied entries.

Does anyone else feel conspicuous when you do something like stand on the nature strip next to a busy road and take a picture of a Church at night, whilst dressed in black and wearing a beanie? I was sure I'd be telling my story to a police officer:

Always good to to some risks in the name of art Tim! Worth it for that splendid picture though.

I agree about the theme. What an inspired idea to use song lyrics instead of just a single title. It's been especially interesting to see what others have made of sections of lyrics that went straight through to the keeper when i read them. And we're not half way through the month yet.

I hope we get some more "Notable Rejects"on this thread - one entry each on the main thread seems barely enough.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Back in the 80's when I had my 8" newt on a samson mount, the cops paid me a visit. The "back" yard was visible from the road, and someone had reported that I had set up a cannon!

They stuck around to have a look at Jupiter and Saturn...

Al.
Quote:

Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Absolutely!
Especially as I was on my motorbike, wearing leathers ...
("with my collar turned against the cold and damp")

So much so that I decided not to park it on the side of the road, but to park it in a nearby shopping centre car park. And walk.
But then the sight of me pushing through the bushes to get to the road may have seemed a bit odd to some passing anyway!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
Back in the 80's when I had my 8" newt on a samson mount, the cops paid me a visit. The "back" yard was visible from the road, and someone had reported that I had set up a cannon!

They stuck around to have a look at Jupiter and Saturn...

Al.
So funny Al.

Chris, thank you . That's a great story and congratulations on your front cover pic, how exciting that would've been!
Old 14-07-2017, 08:36 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I'm going to have to suggest this kind of theme to the Camera Club, it's just awesome !
And I'll have to enter a pic now ... where's them lyrics .. ?

Well done !!
Old 14-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Suzy

Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again.

One from the archives, selfie taken with a compact Sony Cybershot N50 camera.
Jupiter and Venus conjunction - closest contact.
July 1st 2015.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11947468_974425909288803_5311294199857146958_n.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	215735

Last edited by Suzy; 14-07-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 15-07-2017, 10:24 AM
speach (Simon)

well we might as well give up now after Suzy's picture
Old 15-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Suzy

You're too kind Simon.
I'll just be happy if I don't get a big fat zero in the voting poll, one vote at least for trying so hard would be good .
Closed Thread