Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2012, 04:40 PM
ScopeFace (Damien)

Places to take your scope in Perth

Hi All,

I live in Perth and have just ordered my first scope. Getting a Skyprodigy 130.
So i'm thinking there might be a bit too much light in Perth for optimal gazing so it'd be great if I could get some ideas on where to go.

The Swan Valley crossed my mind. Or even the Perth Observatory up in the hills. Does anyone know if you can show up and set up camp with your scope?

Thanks,
Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Why not get in contact with the local Astronomical Society as membership gives you access to their dark sites. Then there is the Golden Grove Observatory in the Chittering Valley which may cater to amatures and their scopes.

http://aswa.info/
Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeFace View Post
The Swan Valley crossed my mind. Or even the Perth Observatory up in the hills. Does anyone know if you can show up and set up camp with your scope?
That's a definite NO for the Perth Observatory option. You'll be politely told to go away. The Swan Valley wont be much chop either. Most people find a hidey hole in the hills somewhere (which means lots of driving around checking out places), but its not really safe to be on your own, all sorts of people are out in the strangest of places at all times of the night.

I'm associated with ASWA and they have three deep sky sites, one at Bakers Hill, one south at Jarrahdale and one out at Tammin. Best to contact the society through their website and they can give you the info about when and where - don't just turn up without contacting them first, they'd prefer to know you're coming.

You can try the AGWA mob too, as they are the ones using Golden Grove.