Old 30-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Wilso

TAK Extender ed1.5x

Hi all,
Have been looking at the takahashi extender ed1.5x for use on two of my refractors. An FSQ85edx for use as a travel scope, and a TSA102 for home use.
AEC list the extender matched to suit both scopes so I was wondering if anyone has had or is using this extender? (They list 9 different types for matched for their scopes) And /or could give any insight compared to the Powermate x2 with a bit more magnification. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. For visual use only.
Thanks
Wilso
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
42.1 KB19 views
Old 30-08-2017, 07:32 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Wilso,

I have the TSA102, and I use the TV 3-6mm Nagler for high power views. I have the TV 2x barlow as well, but it isn't needed with this eyepiece. It works really well with my 13mm Nagler though. The TV Powermate barlows are as I understand optimised for AP, and the "normal" TV 2x and 3x are ideal for visual use.

So, my question is do you really need the Tak extender (which is great for AP) when a much cheaper but still top quality barlow, or a good quality short FL eyepiece will work nicely for high power visual use? If you want the sharpest high power views, what about getting one of the Tak Abbe orthos, or a couple of the Fujiyama orthos?
Just a thought...

All the best,

Dean
Old 30-08-2017, 09:47 PM
issdaol (Phil)

I have been using the Tak Extender 1.5ED with my TSA120 for several years now.

IMO it's excellent for visual use with no downside as far as I have been able to discern.

I've found it much better than barlows that I have used in the past.
Old 31-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Kunama

As Phil mentioned, the Extender 1.5X ED is excellent optically and solidly built, just wish they could install compression rings into their accessories......
Old 31-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Wilso

Thanks guys for your input/experience,
It's a bit of a turn off if the extender only has set screws instead of compression rings. That's one of the reasons I went for the Baader clicklock diagonal and accessories. Will look into short eyepieces, with good eye relief.
Probably not ortho's, a bit short and narrow fields. Kind of like 82 deg fields.
Cheers
Old 31-08-2017, 06:33 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Thanks guys for your input/experience,
It's a bit of a turn off if the extender only has set screws instead of compression rings. That's one of the reasons I went for the Baader clicklock diagonal and accessories. Will look into short eyepieces, with good eye relief.
Probably not ortho's, a bit short and narrow fields. Kind of like 82 deg fields.
Cheers
Personally I wouldn't let the lack of compression rings sway the decision .....optical performance and build is excellent.....I typically leave it in place all the time apart from those rare occasions when I don't need.

So having your clicklock on your diagonal sorts out that function with your EP's anyway.

I use mine with Tak Diagonal and EP from LE5, Nagler 7 right up to Nagler 31 and LE40 & LE50.
Old 31-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Wilso

Thanks Phil,
So a 1.5xed gain = a little bit of pain on my diagonal.
For my next question.
Using the extender does it require more in focus travel or outward focus or does it stay the same? (for your scope)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Thanks Phil,
So a 1.5xed gain = a little bit of pain on my diagonal.
For my next question.
Using the extender does it require more in focus travel or outward focus or does it stay the same? (for your scope)
The focus travel does change .....but its been so long since I measured it I can't say how much exactly.

If you look at all the EP's in my signature all of them come to focus, including my new Pan 24's, Nagler 7's and Nagler 13's

From memory you require less outward focus travel......If you are not in a rush I can measure it next time I'm out at my observatory using the TSA120 and will let you know.

Will be the next clear night so only a few days (fingers crossed for the weather gods)
Old 01-09-2017, 12:03 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I thought you were gifting it to me for my birthday Phil?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Wilso

After much deliberation I have decided against purchasing the extender.
Only because I can't knowingly inflict any damage to my optical gear,(no matter how small) just can't do it. Maybe need to see a doctor. So will look into short focal eyepieces with a good field of view.
Thanks for the input Phil!
Cheers
Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Wilso

Oh,
Congrats Lewis on the new purchase!
Not too big, not too small, just right.
Luv mine. Won't part with it.
Enjoy
Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I am hoping this will be THE 'scope. Had many come VERY close, but there is always something.

I have wanted the TSA-102 for around 7 years now - came close to buying twice, then changed my mind. Now I have gone and done it lol. All I need is the flattener and extender and I have the whole set
Old 02-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Wilso

Phil,

If you could still let me know about the focus difference would be appreciated.
By increasing the focal train but also magnifying the reference point 1.5x at the same time is interesting. Haven't owned an extender or barlow before.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Kunama

Installing the extender will mean that you will be racking the focuser further out, i.e.. it will give more back focus.

For example on scopes where binoviewers will not come to focus due to not having enough in-travel (back focus) adding an Extender will allow them to come to focus. On my TOA130 (from memory) the Extender 1.6x meant moving the focuser about 30mm further out.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Seriously, USE the scope. Unless you are a Gorilla and crank on the screws or worse, decide to twist it whilst attached, you WON'T mar it. It's not a museum piece, JUST USE IT!

I have been using Tak for ages now. I use the screw clamps. I have never once managed to scar up an EP or adaptor connection. You'd have to be a complete numby to do so. And don't go through life fretting about it - only the pedantic lillies worry about a mark on such things. I mean, it doesn't affect it's use, nor can you see it unless you take it out.

I have had more issues with compression rings than with screw clamps, especially Chinese compression rings (some just outright won't hold - the ones made for Stellarvue are a prime example)

JUST DO IT
Old 07-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Wilso

Thanks guys for the info about the extender.
Much appreciated.
Oh Lewis I do use my scopes as much as possible, even during the week, but hate set screws. That's why I use Baader click locks .
Make sure you use heaps of vinyl tape on your finder

Cheers
Go the crows!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Wilso

Ok, ok ...

So I bought the extender 👍👍
But what I did do to stop any maring on the diagonal was to place a drop of superglue on the end of the thumb screws and invert them until dry.
Took two drops on each and let them dry in between coats.

All good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
183.1 KB25 views
Old 06-11-2017, 06:39 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Ok, ok ...

So I bought the extender 👍👍
But what I did do to stop any maring on the diagonal was to place a drop of superglue on the end of the thumb screws and invert them until dry.
Took two drops on each and let them dry in between coats.

All good!
I know I should have patented that idea when I used it on my first TSA

Nicely done Darren.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I have a TOA-35 flattener if anyone is interested?

PM me.

Regards,

DT