Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-07-2014, 05:13 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Who in Melbourne wants to chance it this weekend

A serious question. I have been setting up and dismantling the set up 3-4 times in the last couple of months, without any decent breaks in the cloud and rain for more than 30 mins at most.
No moon this weekend, but dodgy weather again.
Who is game enough to set up this weekend?
Bo
Old 24-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Sarge (Rod)

Looks very dodgey for Fri and Sat nights, but the Sun and Mon early forecast is promising (fingers, toes and eyes crossed ).

But how many times has it "looked promising" only to disapoint, well is it Melbourne!!

Clear skies (wishing)

Rod
Old 24-07-2014, 05:51 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have not had a chance to set up in months, between our bushfire rebuild work and normal work I just have not had time, hopefully something good for this weekend!
Old 24-07-2014, 10:25 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

I haven't had the opportunity weather wise to set up the scope since April. :-(

Paul
Old 24-07-2014, 10:38 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Nope not a chance. Glad to say I'm working Might try for late September.
Matt
Old 25-07-2014, 12:08 AM
pgc hunter

Looking at the forecast, the only thing I am game enough to set up this weekend is my slab of beer and my Family Guy DVDs.

I'll brush the scope off come December or some crap. Even then, seeing will probably be a donkey's bum but whatever, Melbourne is the DERP capital of the observable universe.

Stop stressing Traveller, Melbourne is an astronomical blac hole to end all black holes. If you want to observe, go to anywhere else in Australia and if you run into people from Bribane, Perfffffffff and Sydney crying about the weather.... smash 'em they don't know squat they never lived in Melbourne so they don't know what pain is

me,bourne = permanent nuclear winter = derp capital of tjhe universe = you wamt to be as far away as possible if you love astronomy, and not in the direction of tasmania, the subarctic overcast freezer hyper overcast exclave of melbourne. Melbourne is also the capital city of the antarctic Australain Antarctic terriroty. That should be dead givaway that Melbourne is one of the worse cities on earth for anything to do with astronomy.

Last edited by pgc hunter; 25-07-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 25-07-2014, 02:37 AM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

I concur...I went up to Kinglake yesterday and left the telescope at home after seeing the "total and utter clouding of the greater Melbourne area" forecast and I'll be damned, I went for a walk when it got dark and it was completely clear. Best views of the night sky I've had yet, minus telescope...
Old 25-07-2014, 08:59 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

absolutely no chance this weekend. 50% cloud cover predicted the whole weekend. am considering moving to the country.
Old 25-07-2014, 09:07 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Consider a grab and go setup. Of a 30-minute break in the weather, 29 could be spent observing. Ok, 28 - cause you need to take the caps off too and select eyepiece.
Old 25-07-2014, 09:26 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

I think Sab had the right idea and cook up a storm and enjoy the inner glow from the seared marinated meat...
I have a 70mm AZ mounted refractor which I use for moon observations (the last I used was the occultation of saturn).
Oh well...
Old 25-07-2014, 09:36 AM
scagman (John)

Hi Eden,

You must have been very lucky. I live in kinglake west and for the last 3-4 nights I would get home and its nice and clear. By the time I get the fire going and do a few things its cloudy again. Tuesday night I went out to take the bins out at 7.30pm and it was clear, by the time I drove the bins to the end of the drive and got back I couldn't see 50' due to fog. Last night looked good. I got my shoes and coat on went outside and it was starting to rain.
The worst part is, if I happen to wake up early in the morning and look out the window its been clear, not a cloud in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
I concur...I went up to Kinglake yesterday and left the telescope at home after seeing the "total and utter clouding of the greater Melbourne area" forecast and I'll be damned, I went for a walk when it got dark and it was completely clear. Best views of the night sky I've had yet, minus telescope...
Old 28-07-2014, 11:45 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

tonight may be clearish but the wind will be blowing a bit... still probably the first night in a while.
Old 28-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

been horrible over this way as well - regardless of what happens elsewhere, there seems to have been almost permanent cloud cover over the coastal south east of the continent this winter. Makes the hobby a bit less enjoyable because one feels obliged to use every clear hour regardless of inconvenience or sleep deprivation - who knows when the next opportunity might be.
Old 28-07-2014, 12:41 PM
pgc hunter

Going to be very windy in Melbourne this week, so no chance really. Was *sort of* clear last night, but wind. Tonight looks like it might be clear, but wind will kill it. Meh I got work anyway.
Old 28-07-2014, 05:26 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Well I've set the scope up. According to my Synscan controller the last time I had it out was 27 April - so it's three months since I've been able to get the scope out.

My nice marks on the pavers for the tripod have washed away so polar alignment might take a little while tonight. I think I can still remember how everything goes, so now all I need is for the Sun to set and the wind to drop a little bit more.

This will be my first real go using the Atik CLS clip in light pollution filter. Any tips from those who have one? I'm hoping to be able to take 300 sec subs at ISO 800 on my Canon 60Da. My target of choice for tonight is Gum 85 (Sh2-54) near NGC 6604. Last winter I was only able to run 25 second subs on this nebula as I didn't have a guidescope then. So hopefully tonight I'll end up with a significantly better image.

Paul
Old 28-07-2014, 06:17 PM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool Tonite Alright

I've been away for a while &
just saw the Space Station cross a clear twilight sky
Time to roll back the roof
I spent the w.e. preparing for the next clear night
So..... I'm going for it
Old 28-07-2014, 06:56 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

How's the wind over there Rob? It's picked up here in Melbourne and coming from ~NW.

Polar alignment was ok - not as accurate on other occassions but enough that PHD should be able to do its stuff. Just finishing off dinner for the GLW and the kids and then I should be OK to image.

Looking out the kitchen window just now the neighbours have left their outdoor spotlights on. :-(

Paul
Old 28-07-2014, 07:38 PM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfitzgerald View Post
How's the wind over there Rob? It's picked up here in Melbourne and coming from ~NW.
..... just now the neighbours have left their outdoor spotlights on. :-(
Paul
NNW mild gusts to 5knots Perfect for keeping flying bugs away
I;ll keep the walls up just in case it picks up
Mmm... plesant 9c down to 5c later
Just when Andromeda says hello around 4:00 am

Neighbour's lights ? what's that only rural dogs barking with Fox's chilling screams when killing the Neighbour's chickens
They never learn to lock them up @ night
Old 28-07-2014, 08:14 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

7:50 pm
Lights are off, guiding is working, I think I've framed my shots ok, 5 minute subs are underway and I'm now eating some dinner before checking on them.

9:50 pm
Unbelievable - after the forecast being for clear skies (<10% cloud) all day it's now clouded over, with more cloud on the way!!!
I managed to get about 14 x 5 minute subs done before having to pack up all the gear (twas looking forward to a late night). So now the camera is taking darks and I'll do some flats tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll get something useful. Talk about frustrating. *Sigh*

Paul

Last edited by pfitzgerald; 28-07-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 29-07-2014, 10:01 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

I would love to take a chance whenever I can!

I did last night but could not do a damn polar alignment.