Old 01-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

filter for modded canon?

Hi again everyone....
I am not sure if this is the right place for this thread but here it goes,
Having a modifed 300d (uv/ir) filter removed and replaced with a baader uv/ir filter my camera is now no good using auto white balance and I can only get close to using custom white balance..
I want to be able to use the camera on auto for normal photography and so does my wife!!
Is there a easy way to restore the full use of the camera...I have heard that a filter called x-nite cc1 will restore normal use?
If so where can I get one or something similar hopefully here in Ozz as hate buying overseas?
Would a cyan filter with a similar color to the original canon one be close...looked on the net without much luck...
Cheers Gary
Old 01-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Adrian-H
Naturalist

id imagine the only way to restore the color correct for auto white balance present, would be with the orginal Canon uv/ir or a uv/ir that is very simular to the Canon one

on the other hand you can get away with custom white balance with a grey card easyer.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:40 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Hutech have a filter for their modded cameras, it's called "VLC daylight filter" as mentioned in this thread
Old 02-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Thanks Adrian and Phil,
Had a look at the thread and found another posted by Suzy_A ...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
showing images with different custom white balance plus auto shots with B+W filters, very interesting? On AWB things come out rather pinkish like Suzy_A shot AWB with B+W 489 filter..
I might try some basic cyan color correction filters first then maybe a B+W 486....
Has anyone else experimented with there baader UV/IR modded cameras? I would love to hear what works best for you?
Cheers Gary
Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Hi again everyone,
Havn`t had too many replies about this.... so far.
I thought I post these few pics taken first with my wifes camera (canon s3) as a reference pic, followed by my modified 300d in AWB mode, first is no filter followed by ilford 40c cyan filter..
Comes out rather close to the unmodded camera except a bit washed out I suppose due to the extended deep red/IR of the Baader filter..
I think this would be as close as you can get without spending lots of money on a Hutech filter or something similar..
I hope this might be useful for someone who wants to use there modded camera in Auto mode...
Have yet to try in custom white balace mode..shall test shortly......
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (canon s3-auto.jpg)
122.2 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (csnon300d-auto-nofilter.jpg)
118.5 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (canon300d-auto-40c.jpg)
120.8 KB16 views