Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM
TimeLine

Nerds. But, damn it, why do I love you all?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

And loving it

to IIS Timeline.

Cheers
Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi TimeLine.

My suspenders and I wish you a warm welcome to IIS
Old 25-12-2007, 07:43 PM
tsuken
pwned by clouds

Merry Christmas everyone.

I've just got my first telescope (birthday + christmas present, so had to wait a few months since I was told about it): a Celestron Omni XLT150 Newtonian. Skies are full of clouds, so I'm surfing astronomy websites - and came upon this forum 8)

I live in Springwood NSW, so shouldn't have too much of a problem with haze or light pollution (I hope) ... but the bush will no doubt limit my view from the backyard Luckily a friend has a 4WD and likes heading to the Outback, so there might be some nice observing trips coming up (once I've learnt to drive the 'scope)

My earliest space-related moment would have been around age 4, travelling on the trans-Siberian railway: looking out the window, and seeing something that looked like a meteor in reverse - presumably a rocket launch of some description far off. I've always been fascinated by the night sky - but never really learnt much about it... now's the time, I guess 8)

Here's hoping for some clear skies soon 8)

Raf
Old 25-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Tsuken and welcome to IIS, glad you found your way here, you've come to a great site full of top people.

hope you enjoy your stay here.

Cheers
Old 26-12-2007, 06:10 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Raf, to IIS! Nice to have you hear and look forward to more of your contributions and questions.
Old 26-12-2007, 07:58 AM
tsuken
pwned by clouds

heh - mainly questions for some time, I suspect.

Thanks for the welcomes, guys
Old 26-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Dujon
SKE

Hello, tsuken, welcome aboard the good ship IIS.

If my experience is anything to go by you'll find just about every poster on here is of the kind who will, if they can, dispense free advice. So don't feel shy about asking questions as there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer.
Old 20-01-2008, 11:48 PM
omnivorr

...since I've now already succumbed to posting elsewhere, I feel I can no longer "lurk" unannounced, and therefore "Greetings and Salutations" to all!

...take me to your leader ...by the way,this is Gort

Well, ..for those who recognise the reference, that's about the vintage I was when my father put me off of astronomy, and photography too,... by his then enthusiasm for it!! (lets not diverge onto any amateur psych' over that just yet please, just bear with me )

....so, now the wrong side of 50 and all the worse for wear, I'm feeling MY way thru some erstwhile-closed caverns, glimpsed so-o-o long ago...

To wit : I'll start with a Dob (of course!!) ...GSO 8-inch...( 6-inch, depending on funds....)
....I have a yen to dabble with 'astro'-photograpy, (amongst others), and sofar envision the webcam-stack method to be my most viable option...
I might also explore what I can do with the dslr ...starting with tripod star-trails (..might help me to viualise where the South -point is )

Nothin else to tell.. Socio-economically, I'm a "disabled pensioner"... That describes my locii vis any DIY options anyone might care to share.. but also limits same, with regard to transport/physical capacities , in my case...

My location/accommodation is sub-optimal also.. hemmed in by trees and roofline surrounding my northern-suburbs Brisbane locale... There's no "low-hanging fruit" in my existence.... unless it's those brown shrivelled /maggot-wriggling mango-fall from the neighbours tree, before it was removed to make way for the extension that obliterated the west-north aspect of my lower 30 degrees of that horizon........

but I digress...
sofar as contribution to this community.. I "take as I get"-"give as I get", ..can promise no more.. already I've seen enuff of this community to admire, aspire and emulate, and enuff to if not ...... at. ...but that's humanity, and I'm glad to belong!!! -if I'm accepted.

call me Russ ...I've been called worse. (and there's plenty a call I will not answer to!! -- just so that any empire-builders/Napoleons know that from the start!) ....and , to "head-off at the pass" any wanker/trolls :

my view is that "off-the-shelf" experts are "drips under pressure".....

if you can't demonstrate the principle (at least by analogy) in a crude or rudimentary form using everyday items... then your argument is mere consummerist gullibillity... Eg: the "right angle" can be constructed by any body from any pliable sheet of fabric folded twice.... no PhD req'd.

Similarly a circle: from any given length of material affixed at one end and rotated about that point on a plane.....a circle is "described".. all mathematics grew from there.

....so that's where I stand.. my particular ape-descended view on the cosmos and the antics of the "ant-hill" of which I'm a reluctant inhabitant.

The few who gaze beyond, ..whether "in the gutter" or not, but like Oscar, are able to see...... not just look, and blindly follow the rut.... that's the fellowship I recognise/precognise in this otherwise meaningless void ....

it's not all just some glittery cello-wrap gift for a chosen-few, some Cosmic Santa of white anglo middleclass patrilineal supremacy , ...hegemonistically contrived providencial nepotism..... for the benefit of those who can afford Canon, Zeiss, Lagerfeld (insert premium/trend brand as desired) .. .. it's a great big tumult of possibilities wrestling on a scale beyond mortal comprehension... visible at a vast distance and limited by the puny-ness of the observer.. a mere infinitessimal ego.... not yet weaned from this tiny teat we call earth.

Bourke and Wills perished while all about them were the source of their survival.... ( HELLO! to Vinnie and Kokatha Man [Darryl] )

....it's all the fun of "Show-ride ally" out there, and it's atomic "no-man's land" too!! ...aren't we lucky we're in the outer seats of this Grand Colluseum.. and not in the arena!

but enuff of "bread and circuses"

enuff of me

end introduction
Old 21-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Welcome Gort, and a big "Klaatu berada nichto" to you!

Where abouts on the northside are you, roughly speaking, and are you / would you be able to travel to a darker, more open sky for a night now and then with other members from this forum?

The GSO dobs are awesme for the money, of course I'm biased in having owned 2 now in the last 2 years ..... and keep looking wistfuly at the adds checking prices of the 6" and 8" units as I have in mind to one day convert 2 into an inexpensive pair of "bloody big bionoculars"!

"Keep watching the skies!"

Cheers!
Old 21-01-2008, 03:36 AM
omnivorr

Hi Gargoyle_Steve thanks for the welcome tho I'm not actually "Gort".. {he's my sidekick.. I'm the (then) impossibly handsome actor no-one now remembers, I can't remember his name....} but you can call me Russ. (Unless I do something meanwhile by deedpoll)

I reside at Deagon, ..the far-end of Sangate Rd.., near where it veers to merge with "all roads north"..

as far as being able to accept any gracious invitation to dark-sky events goes, I'm back-injury but not wheelchair, I thank (the deity of your choice)for that!- I arrived sometime after they realised "intervention" does more harm than good ,but I am "challenged" when it comes to sleep/wake routine ...or any other "routine"... hence my bourgeoning interest in night-sky phenomena

my forecast ability is limited to something less reliable than the BoM, ie I could not accurately forecast my ability a week hence... 2 days at most..

I might also be limited in the duration of my being-away, to a limit of 2 nights.. ..but if that'd fit with 'riding shotgun' on one of your adventures to a place of peeking-"where no man has gone before", I'd be "chuffed"_ as they say, where they drink "warm" malty beer ... now where is that smilie that raises a frothy glass??

... I'll get a sheet of red cellophane to "dark-sky" my 9-led torch tomorrow! ..err, "today"

as I used to say to my motorcycle mates "keep it shiny-side up!"

HEY HEY!! ...I found it on one of your posts in the moggie thread! ..and cut&paste seems to work!
Cheers Steve

Last edited by omnivorr; 21-01-2008 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Cheers!
Old 21-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Hi again Russ ...... Michael Rennie played Klaatu, but in the new remake (being filmed currently) the role is played by Keanu Reeves would you believe.

Klaatu ... Keanu - I can see where that fits!

With regards some observing opportunities there's a number of like minded folk from this forum around the Brisbane / Northside / Sunshine Coast area who get together regularly on a designated Saturday night near new moon up in the Sunshine Coast hinterland. AstroRon (another IceInSpace member, and a Top Bloke!) lives on a nice dark site out in the valleys west of Maleny, and he kindly puts the invitation out to anyone who may wish to come along. Keep your eyes on the Star Parties forum area for mention of any Cambroon events. Some folk travel home afterwards, some camp out the night, so options are open. Not sure if you have your own car, or if that trip would be untenable to you for other reasons but let us know when the time comes, it may be possible to arrange things somehow.

Alternately there's a rumour of some other event runing for 4-5 days in early April ...

It's a bit further away by road, allow maybe 2.5 to 3 hours from your place. Expect to see the official announcement in the same forum area very soon!
Old 21-01-2008, 04:37 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey Russ, what an intro!

Great to have you onboard!
Old 21-01-2008, 06:11 PM
omnivorr

Hi Iceman, thanks .. Glad to be aboard!
I s'pose I could've kept it short: Hi, I'm Russ, I'm a grumpy old man.
Old 26-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Kokatha man

Hello again Omnivorr!

Well, well,well Onivorr: (the 3 holes in the gound joke - at least the vintage of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" - complete with dramatic music.)

I'm not Gort either, rather I'm beginning to see some similarities with Igor (lumping weird looking objects around in the middle of the night, complete with limp - definitely not Michael Rennie: but I (think!) I'm younger than him, and last time I checked I was still breathing.)

Really enjoyed reading your personal expose (where's that little thingy on the keyboard to stick above the "e" to make me appear uber this and that with my literacy - and where's the little thingy for the "u" and where's the thingy for............etc.) Oh well, maybe we'll go for "ruggedly individual self-taught wanna-be intellectual" instead of Igor: it's better than the "wouldn't like to meet him in a dark alley" version.

But seriously, I'm glad I connected with you and (just) saw this other thread with your contribution/confessions. And don't forget: when you get your dob I want first option on your buggered K-Mart noccies.

Regards, Kokatha man.
Old 27-01-2008, 04:55 PM
SteveB

Hi everyone,
I am new to the site and definately a beginner to the wonderful world of astronomy. I have had an amature interest in the field for a few years now but time and money has stopped me becoming heavily involved.

I live on 2 acres about 40 mins north of Brisbane and it is pretty good (my standard anyway) for viewing the heavens. I only have a 3" telescope but desparately wish to upgrade and would one day love to build my own observatory. I love to lay on the grass out the back and just watch the stars for hours, I find it so relaxing.

I am looking forward to furthering my education by learning from people like yourself and will endeavour to become as involved in the forums as my experience allows me. Please bear with me and be gentle.

Regards
Steve
Old 27-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Steve and welcome to IIS. I too enjoy enjoy relaxing and just watching the stars only these days it's in a deck chair with a glass of red.

Cheers
Old 28-01-2008, 02:27 AM
omnivorr

Hi Steve, you've come to the right place! I just arrived "5 min" ago myself, and pretty clueless.. but the good people here on IIS are enthusiastic and encouraging.. a diverse bunch with interests and expertise of all kinds.
...and when skies are cloudy, where better to turn?!
Old 29-01-2008, 01:25 PM
peggler

Help Wanted

Hi,

I am new to forums, so please forgive me for any inappropriate behaviour.

Is there anyone out there who lives in Lismore NSW, and who could spare an hour or two to give a talk/demo on astronomy to a Cub Scout group?

Looking forward to hear from any interested parties!

Cheers.
Old 29-01-2008, 01:53 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Peggler, to IceInSpace!

There's a couple of guys who live up that area, including glenc, Coombell Kid, Night Stalker and xelasnave.

I'd suggest starting a new thread in General Chat, because it could get lost in here.

Just click on "General Chat" forum, then the "new thread" button, type a subject and your message, and that's it!