Old 28-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Amanda

This video here by Orion Telescopes should help you with collimation.

As or some nice bright showpiece objects...

Two globular clusters top the list in our skies at the moment; Omega Centauri & NGC 104 (47 Tucanae).

Some of the most spectacular star clusters:
NGC 2516 (The Diamond Cluster) in Carina
The Southern Pleiades in Carina
The Beehive Cluster (M44) in Cancer
The Pleiades in Taurus
M41 near Sirius in Canis Major
Mel 25 (The Hyades) in Taurus
The Jewel Box (NGC 4755) in Crux
The Pearl Cluster (NGC 3766) in Centaurus
The Gem Cluster (NGC 3293) in Carina

A couple of bright Nebulae:
The Orion Nebula (M42)
The Carina Nebula (NGC 3372)
View nebulae on moonless nights to get the best out of them.

Something special worthy of a look see:
Carbon star, Ruby Crucis.
Line up your scope on Beta Crucis and just to the left of it is a blood drop red star.

Just a few tips:
Learn where the 26 brightest stars are (this will help you find things easier).

Learn how to measure the sky with your hand.

Read these articles:
"How To Start Right In Astronomy".

http://www.astro-tom.com/messier/mes...rving_tips.htm

"So you want to do deep sky observing".

Recommended maps/Books:
Rob's Maps (you can download them, print them out and pop them into plastic sleeves into a ring binder). These maps are brilliant- many of us use them.
http://sites.google.com/site/southernastronomer/

Astronomy 2012. This will guide you through the next 12 months of observing with month by month guides of events in the night sky. Maps also included. You should be able to still buy this through our forum.

Collins Stars & Planets by Ian Ridpath. A great beginners book, a favorite of many here including myself. Full of maps which are easy to navigate and each constellation has its own guide for objects.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Coll.../9780007424429

Even though you have go-to (I just realised!) I think you will find these books beneficial as it explains things.

OH! And don't forget Mars- it comes into opposition March 6th (the nearest, so will be nice and big and bright and in our skies the whole night). It's showing a wonderful snow cap at the moment which will be an easy catch thru your 10" dob providing the seeing is fine. Use your 10mm eyepiece.

Enjoy Amanda, and just know that people will only be too happy to help out with any of your questions, okay?!
Old 29-02-2012, 12:27 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Suzy, you should copy/paste your last post so you can post it regularly for newbies.
It has lots of good info and will save you from re-typing it each time
Old 29-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Mik Skywatcher (Mik)

Hi all,

Finally getting into astronomy after years of umming and aaring, definately alot to learn and find myself umming and aaring even more!

Telescope arrived the other day just when Sydney decided to start a week long shower - 'curse of the newbie' i read somewhere.

Looking forward to spending more time on this site, helped me alot in choosing my equipment, which i can't use for a week.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:40 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Skywatcher View Post
Hi all,

Finally getting into astronomy after years of umming and aaring, definately alot to learn and find myself umming and aaring even more!

Telescope arrived the other day just when Sydney decided to start a week long shower - 'curse of the newbie' i read somewhere.

Looking forward to spending more time on this site, helped me alot in choosing my equipment, which i can't use for a week.
Welcome Mik.

But just think, you get to cuddle and caress your new scope for a week. Most people miss out on that part coz they race out the first night and use it
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Mik Skywatcher (Mik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Welcome Mik.

But just think, you get to cuddle and caress your new scope for a week. Most people miss out on that part coz they race out the first night and use it
hahah thanks...certainly seems big enough to hug. Time away from viewing stars is time spent viewing telescope accessories. This scope plus parts has put me on a budget of rice and water for the next few months and the enjoyment so far is researching and trying to buy parts with spare change.

For anyone looking for a good deal on my model telescope BTOW in WA currently have the best price i've seen... and i've been to many intl sites.
-i have no association with btow...

Also, just managed to find a cheap alternative to bobs knobs... EBAY

Thanks Suzy for the informative post. My to-do list.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Zorpho (Felix)

Hello from a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post

hello to all the noobies
Welcome to IIS hope to see you all around the forums sometime cheers
I was recently given a telescope, just a Tasco, yes I know, I know they are awful,..but it was gratis and as I live on the edge of the Sydney CBD, I'm not likely to see many stars anyway. That leaves the Moon and since the recent anomalies that some people claim exist I figure that's where I'll start. If the bug bites I'll be moving up to a real telescope. Hopefully the advice I receive on this forum will steer me towards a good one.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Felix and welcome to IIS!
Any scope that gets you out observing is a good scope, and even with suburban skies you can still see a lot.
BTW what "recent anomolies"?

Malcolm
Old 16-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Shark

Hi all new to this whole game
what would a fair price be for a mewlon 210 2nd hand? is the 2'eyepieces much better than 1.25' i have a change to get one but the price on the 2' pieces is much more than the 1.25s

thanx a lot
Old 16-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

And I'm the bait.

IIS is a great place to be. Sounds like you intend to start out with some nice gear. Others with more experience will read your post and answer your questions.
Old 19-03-2012, 03:10 PM
greenpixie (Karli)

set up

So here is my new scope, just posting a pic so someone can let me know if it looks put together upside down or back to front , against advice that was given, I did get one with an EQ mount fingers crossed I can work it out! I did check out a post in another discussion about these mounts... sounds straight forward when I read it but in practice that's another thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (scope.jpg)
178.7 KB145 views
Old 19-03-2012, 04:24 PM
stardust steve (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpixie View Post
So here is my new scope, just posting a pic so someone can let me know if it looks put together upside down or back to front , against advice that was given, I did get one with an EQ mount fingers crossed I can work it out! I did check out a post in another discussion about these mounts... sounds straight forward when I read it but in practice that's another thing!
Congrats on your new scope. I am in the same boat so dont feel alone. I have recently got a EQ3 mount and am learning my way around it. To me it looks like it is set up ok. Really the only advice i can give it to make sure it is balanced and level. Slide the scope along the tube rings and adjust the counter weight if needed. It will make things alot easier when you release the clutches other wise it can swing down quickly(as i have found out). There are lots of Polar alignment posts to help with your viewing.
Good luck with it

Last edited by stardust steve; 19-03-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 19-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi Karli,

My Brother has the Celestron version of your scope. It should be capable of delivering many fine views of our night skies but you will probably end up with aperature fever before you know it. For the time being surf the sky and enjoy the scope.
Old 20-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hello from Tinderbox, Tasmania

I've been a member for a couple of months and enjoying the experience, so it is time I introduced myself.

My interest in astronomy started at High School many, many years ago. I ground a 6 inch mirror and constructed my own reflecting telescope at age 15. Unfortunately it was lost in the bad '67 bush fires. University, a career in big cities, a family, sailing and other interests relegated astronomy to the background. I returned to Tasmania and settled at Tinderbox in 1994.

With more time on my hands, a couple of years ago I pointed my Zeiss Diascope 85 T*FL, that I use for terrestrial observing, towards the wonderful dark skies we have here at Tinderbox and my interest in astronomy was rekindled. I am more a visual observer at this stage and have become quite adept at star hopping to find my targets. The Ziess Diascope is a wonderful wide field instrument. I have also been surprised by the detail I have seen with some patient observing. I am now planning my first telescope purchase to broaden and deepen my observing experience.

I am looking forward to learning from and contributing to the Forum.
Old 20-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

gday Steve

to IIS have fun on buying your new scope just remember apperture rules
See you around the forums cheers
Old 26-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)

Thanks Jen

Thanks for the welcome Jen. No doubt you have good clear nights at Swan Hill compared to our coastal cloud.

Steve.
Old 27-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Steve and welcome to IIS.

It sound like you have a wonderful dark sky area down there, I'll be interested to hear about your observations.

Cheers
Old 27-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)

Thanks Ric

Thanks for the welcome Ric. Yes, we are blessed with quite dark skies here. Just got to dodge the coastal cloud at times.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Sammy3934 (Sean)

Helping People

ICEMAN,
Thank-you so much for your guidance, understanding, patience, help and just caring for the new guys!!!

Without people like you, people like me wouldn't be able to scratch our heads without your very helpful guidance.

Thanks once again!!!

Cheers, Sammy
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Sammy3934 (Sean)

How to clean your telescope lens...

Hi All,
First and foremost I will inform you that I am not an expert, by any means.

However I have done photography for quite a few years, and as far as I am concerned the principal is the same!!!

Right, never start cleaning your lens with a cloth or hand-towel whilst the lens is dry, because the dust and the dry surface will end up with permanent scratches.

Start with an air brush, that will blow away most of the dust, and then very gently use the brush to get rid of the left over dust.

Next, place two or three drops of lens cleanser, and use your soft cloth to wipe the lens. This soft cloth is one like the type you receive to clean your glasses. I personally don't use hand towels as they tend to crumble and fall apart.

All of the items are available at your local camera store for a reasonable amount of money. If you spend big to buy a telescope and all the gear, you might as well do the right thing to look after it.

I hope I could help anyone out there.

Cheers, Sammy
Old 08-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Elyse_kuz (Australia)

Hello everyone, completely new to astronomy. Recently got a dobsonian 6" skywatcher telescope and is having abit of a hard time using it. The skywatcher comes with two scopes. But for some reason we can't figure out how to use the smaller one. Any idea what i'm doing wrong?? Wanted to find a few planets and maybe even an easy nebula, but the eye piece barely zoomed in at all

So with all this in mind, what should I do? Was going to look at some smaller scopes, but not sure what sizes or the best place to buy from, ebay, amazon, overseas? etc. We have a beginner's star chart and can star jump, just need some info on actually seeing these things haha

Anyway, nice to meet everyone. Thanks for reading!