Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 03-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Startrek (Martin)

International Dark Sky Week

This coming week is international dark sky week ( IDSW ) which has been on the world astronomical calendar since 2003
To be honest I’ve never heard of it before
One of the main topics of discussion and awareness is the poor design and implementation of artificial light for both residential and commercial applications.
A classic example is my neighbours on both side of me in Sydney.The neighbour on one side has excessive exterior lighting , poorly designed, over engineered where most of the light output is light spilled outside the intended task area.( mainly spilled into my backyard ) I would estimate the total watts in energy in their backyard exterior lighting is around 3500 watts and collective lumen output on average would be around 1800 lumens in an backyard area of 14m wide and 18m long. I jokingly call it mini Las Vegas as it’s literally like daylight.
The other neighbour has 14 exterior wall lights around the walls of the home ( 2 story) with no anti glare baffles or deflectors and 2 x 500watt flood lights in a backyard measuring 7m deep x 15m wide
Both neighbours have no lighting control ( movement sensors etc.. ) and leave their lights on until around midnight
I haven’t even mentioned side pathways , front and driveway lighting
To me a gross waist of energy and excessive artificial light pollution
I wonder how many backyards are like this in greater Sydney

Comments welcome in regards to IDSW and excessive , poorly designed residential exterior lighting ( and exterior commercial lighting too)

Thanks
PS I’m not havin a winge , I’ve been living with it for years and still enjoy AP in my Bortle 8 location ( with my neighbours lights )
Visual astronomy forget it , I only do that at my dark site holiday place south coast NSW
Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Nothing is going to change and it will only get worse and with LED's too .

Of course and alarmingly, the main change will be that after almost 30,000 satellites (and who knows how many more), currently planned for low Earth orbit, over the coming years, are all circling above us, the light pollution will then extend into the sky above for a significant proportion of every night, Moon or no Moon ...so even our dark sky locations will be affected....

International Dark Sky Week....indeed...

Mike
Old 11-04-2021, 05:05 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Well, while I hear you Mike (and somewhat agree) I try to make the best of it. Moved house for kids and school a little while ago and found a place that is not as significantly affected by light. I used to let the neighbours know at the old place I was out the back to avoid the lights going on but eventually they just turned them on anyway and spotlight direct in my backyard. Most of the time the same thing - lights on but not outside to do anything which was very frustrating and inconsiderate. not really for security either as it was random.

I now have one that can do this in one spot, but mostly the backyard is darkish in southern Adelaide. We so have the Murray River Dark Sky Reserve but getting a chance to go there with work commitments, finding accommodation and then finding a spot can be a challenge. Last time I went up to a place that does not rain much and clearish a good portion of the time it was cloudy and rained which was a bit disappointing

On the other hand had a great night when the long eclipse occurred a couple of years ago in June - clear all night and some of the nest skies I have seen. We have to treasure those nights we can get out there and view what we can and take the quality of the sky as it is. Had a a great night in Adelaide and over a week of clear skies (usually around a full moon!) but my friend and I really enjoyed bopping around the Milky Way and enjoyed some good views. The best I get in my backyard is 20.12 on the SQM meter.

It is hard to educate people especially if like food with healthy options they seem more expensive or of no 'whats in it for me' benefit for the person being asked to consider the change. I know in a couple of towns in SA they have lobbied for better consideration of lighting with some success so I hear. Mind you other council areas they install lights that give you the impression it is day time.

Mind you the Flinders Ranges are something else to view a sky like that out there. Great memories and something to look forward to ...
Old 11-04-2021, 08:22 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda776 View Post
Well, while I hear you Mike (and somewhat agree) I try to make the best of it. Moved house for kids and school a little while ago and found a place that is not as significantly affected by light.

<snip>

Mind you the Flinders Ranges are something else to view a sky like that out there. Great memories and something to look forward to ...
Indeed, we do have to make the best of what we have..we have to move further and further from our cities and towns to get good dark skies. Canberra where I live has got so big and bright, one needs to drive about an hour now to get out to a genuine dark sky site with Bortle 2 skies. When I first arrived in Canberra in 1984 it was only about a 30min drive to be under black skies ...

Oh to live deep in the Flinders Ranges ...yeah baby!!

Mike