Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 16-10-2017, 07:37 AM
garymck (Gary)

Explore Scientific FCD100 refractors?

Hi
wondering if anybody has any experience of the Explore Scientific FCD100 series refractors? Toying with the idea of one of these or a Skywatcher Esprit. Looking at these for portable imaging on my AZEQ6. Looking at 100mm or if I
can stretch it the 120/127mm versions of the ES or Skywatcher scopes.
cheers
Gary
Old 16-10-2017, 08:21 AM
glend (Glen)

Have a look at the Teleskop-ExpressTS102 Photoline models, which come as both FPL-53 Doublets or Triplets. These are very cost effective, quality imaging scopes, and when the 3" Photoline reducer corrector is added you get focal length and speed choices. I have the 115mm triplet version and it is outstanding. The stock R&P focuser easily supports an imaging train, you won't need a focuser upgrade.
Old 16-10-2017, 09:36 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I believe that Saxon Australia are selling this line as a rebadged version. See their website http://www.saxon.com.au/telescopes/ed-refractor-telescopes.html or Sidereal Trading http://www.siderealtrading.com.au/
I think that the Saxon version comes with a couple of more accessories (finder, eyepiece, extension tubes) than the ES version. I am hopefully getting my mitts on one next week (the 80mm version) and hope to do a bit of a report on it. Very interested to see how the hexagonal focuser goes.
Malcolm
Old 16-10-2017, 09:40 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Have a look at the Teleskop-ExpressTS102 Photoline models, which come as both FPL-53 Doublets or Triplets. These are very cost effective, quality imaging scopes, and when the 3" Photoline reducer corrector is added you get focal length and speed choices. I have the 115mm triplet version and it is outstanding. The stock R&P focuser easily supports an imaging train, you won't need a focuser upgrade.
There is one in classifieds at great price. Cheers Richard
Old 17-10-2017, 06:17 AM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Thanks Glen, I'll check them out

Gary
Old 17-10-2017, 06:19 AM
garymck (Gary)

I believe that Saxon Australia are selling this line as a rebadged version. See their website http://www.saxon.com.au/telescopes/e...elescopes.html or Sidereal Trading http://www.siderealtrading.com.au/
I think that the Saxon version comes with a couple of more accessories (finder, eyepiece, extension tubes) than the ES version. I am hopefully getting my mitts on one next week (the 80mm version) and hope to do a bit of a report on it. Very interested to see how the hexagonal focuser goes.
Malcolm

Will be VERY interested to hear what you think of it - color correction etc. Please post your comments.
Thanks
Gary
Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 AM
brenchen

Did anyone end up getting one? I'm in the same camp at the moment. Had my sights set on the ES ED127CF, but the focuser was too much of an issue for me to continue to pursue. And came across Saxon, which looks to produce the exact same scope rebadged.

Keen to hear anyone's experience with this brand of products.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Chapstick

I got the ES ED102CF and had to return it as soon as I opened the box. Unacceptable amount of dust between the objective, screw missing from the diagonal and most annoyingly the fine focus did not work at all.
Had to send it back to the states (postage paid by ES) and now am waiting for them to send me a replacement. Pretty annoying to say the least.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

When I purchased my ES AR127, the focuser had a bent focusing spline. ES sent me a new focuser very quickly (a matter of days by memory). The second one had a lock screw sheared off, with the end of the lock screw unable to be retrieved. Again, ES sent me a new focuser within days - third time was the shot lol. Whilst the focusers were a problem, the support from the local ES distributor and ES was exceptional.