Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-10-2017, 07:42 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Glad you're improving Alex. I work in aged care, those bloody walkers are responsible for so many falls it isn't funny! And some of the poor old folks at my residence, their relatives obviously don't care as I'm constantly reporting dangerous walkers with no or little brakes.
Old 20-10-2017, 08:18 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find this rant offensive, all the person with a disability had to say was " No thanks, I'm fine" .... Good manners don't go astray whether one is disabled or not.....

Sometimes the biggest disability is the big chip on one's shoulder...
Absolutely, this tool has a major chip on his shoulder. Obviously his major disability is his personality!

Last edited by PCH; 21-10-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 20-10-2017, 08:23 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
I figure. The last thing someone with balance problems needs is some dimwit suddenly rushing towards them regards the intentions. or suddenly shouting "NEED A HAND MATE?!!!" anything sudden.

Those of us with disabilities are fully focused on crossing the road, opening the door, whatever it is, because we need to get from A to B. Unless you have the ability to gently levitate us you can NOT help and most of the time YOU become the obstacle we have to navigate around.

Having a physical disability does not require us to have a mental disability either. Having poor muscle control means we have to commit effort from being safe in order to slowly turn our head or even speak. So yeah don't expect us to be as responsive as all you "normal" people.

Want to help? a wad of cash would actually help, I still have to work full time as I'm not disabled enough yet to get any sort of assistance (having a job and a home both also exclude me, I'd have to lose both in order to be considered for the waiting list to see if there is any form of assistance i qualify for). We have greatly increased costs of living and only some get some form of assistance. my medications and physical aids I have to pay full price from my own pocket. I get NO handouts from anywhere ever.

So don't complain they could have been friendlier or they have it easy on welfare. You haven't a damn clue. Its hard enough being alive for most of us without small minded people making false assumptions and judging us. If you want to offer ask softly and kindly and approach at a normal pace from a safe direction where the person is aware of you early. Don't startle them, dont take offence if you are told to $@$^ you might have been the tenth person in the last 60sec to ask the same dumb question. Choose a better phrasing like "is there anything I can do to help?" think what is like to be in a three legged race, getting someone with walking difficulties to take your arm can be just as dangerous but maybe in the situation there is something you can do to help and they could them instruct you exactly what it is even if it seems silly. Blind people (actually everyone, but blind particularly) rely on sound too for balance and navigation. It may be that person had a good uncluttered sound view on a fairly empty street and a helper could become extra noise polution or sound baffle that clouds their view making assistance a source of danger. On a crowded street they might ask you to walk in front clicking your fingers to clear a path for them. Its all different for different disabilities and different circumstances. No such thing as one disability fits all.

Except idiocy. Your post is HIGHLY offensive on so many levels to me, if you'd said that in person in my presence you'd be on the ground in an instant. There is no excuse for intolerance.

steve
You're obviously in need of treatment for something fairly major asap Steve. Your mind is warped if that's the best etiquette you can manage in response to a comment as harmless and well intentioned as mine.

Whatever disability you have, there's NO excuse for that rudeness.

And as for your suggestion that I'd be "on the ground in an instant", have you any idea how ridiculous you sound? Jerk!

Last edited by PCH; 21-10-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 20-10-2017, 09:44 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

If I was to ' go to the aid ' of someone with a disability, it would be out of compassion.

I've experienced being in a wheel chair with 100 staples running up my right leg, and a rib cage held together with 6 pieces of surgical stainless steel wire ..... I was in need of help from anybody ... it took me nearly 3 minutes to get into a car so I could go home from the hospital ... I needed help from anybody who could assist.

For the 1st week I just laid in bed ( with a piss bottle )..... then for 2 weeks later, my Wife would help me get out of bed ...I couldn't do it on my own.

Col...

Last edited by FlashDrive; 20-10-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:02 PM
JA

Hi Alex,

good to hear all's OK and things are on the improve. Now just some brakes as your next thing ! And @Col - I hope those woes^ are long behind you.

More generally, in the context of the other discussions in this thread .... peace, love and mung beans is all ya need

Best
JA
Old 21-10-2017, 09:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Alex,

good to hear all's OK and things are on the improve. Now just some brakes as your next thing ! And @Col - I hope those woes^ are long behind you.

More generally, in the context of the other discussions in this thread .... peace, love and mung beans is all ya need

Best
JA
Thanks.
Its the brake cables that have gone.
If I continue to use it I will put the cables that are on the motorisedunit on the one I use.

But
I think
I will walk without and push thru the pain when
I feel like I need to sit..that's all
I really need is a seat in a hurry when I need it...so I will grit my teeth and see if that will work.

And I hope next time to start a thread that doesn't pull on strings that cause upset.

Sil is upset and perhaps in his effort to tell his story became far too excited, but that probably reflects a deep pain either physical or emotional that sometimes can have one coming on way too strong.
This is unfortunate as over the top presentation often fails to make the point which is at the center of the excitement and leave bystanders bewildered.

Maybe Sil thought he was posting extreme satire?

Alex